Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely. the extra 4 games wouldn't be Collingwood/Carlton/essendon/Hawthorn/Richmond games. It would be a couple of those and more Interstate commitments.

The fixture we have at the moment is full of small things that are unfair, but overall the process evens itself out. Interstate clubs have to travel every week, which is much tougher than being able to drive to the match on gameday (which geelong players do.) However they get 10 bonafide home games against opponents that play on the ground once a year, twice as many as MCG clubs.

As it currently stands, Geelong have a mix of a both types. They get less proper home games than the Interstate sides, but more than Victorian based sides; Have to travel more often, but no where near as much or as taxing as the Interstate clubs do.

100% correct.
Which means Geelong have the best deal of all. They have the advantage of a true home ground, without the disadvantage of travel.

yet here we are, the one team complaining about their circumstances is Geelong.

Last edited:
I told you, I dont answer stupid questions.

I dont get why Geelong seem to wanna whinge about the regular season, but wouldnt you prefer to have finals played there rather than the extra 2 mickey mouse H&A games?

You are getting warm....

So what you are saying is that we play 7 or 8 games a year at our home ground AND don't get home finals.

To accomplish what we have over the last 10 years under these conditions is truly remarkable. Imagine if we played 12 homes every year and played finals on our home ground. We would be unstoppable.

You are getting warm....

So what you are saying is that we play 7 or 8 games a year at our home ground AND don't get home finals.

To accomplish what we have over the last 10 years under these conditions is truly remarkable. Imagine if we played 12 homes every year and played finals on our home ground. We would be unstoppable.

Havent the rules on the finals changed now since the redevelopment?
Truly remarkable that you could manage that playing 16 games per year in your home state and getting to play more than a few each year on the ground where the grand final is held.
Its obviously made a huge difference :drunk::rolleyes:

Not saying that's what the AFL will do, just what they should do.
And you can't do a lot about contracts, just wait for them to expire. Outside of finals, the AFL doesn't stage games. Clubs do. So the AFL really has no business getting involved in owning or leasing stadiums. Especially when they provide them to some clubs and not others.

The afl has a huge say in how a lot of those etihad clubs are run

Havent the rules on the finals changed now since the redevelopment?
Truly remarkable that you could manage that playing 16 games per year in your home state and getting to play more than a few each year on the ground where the grand final is held.
Its obviously made a huge difference :drunk::rolleyes:
Rubbish - it is not remarkable at all. We want to play our home games at our home ground, and have a home final at our home ground if we earn it - like you get to do. Shoving your perceived advantages of playing at Etihad and MCG instead of Simonds down our throats only makes yourself feel justified - but it doesn't change the landscape one bit, and isn't a substitute for actual evidence.

Playing home games away from Simonds is a disadvantage to us, financially and on game day, and it also undermines the integrity of the competition. Full stop.

Rubbish - it is not remarkable at all. We want to play our home games at our home ground, and have a home final at our home ground if we earn it - like you get to do. Shoving your perceived advantages of playing at Etihad and MCG instead of Simonds down our throats only makes yourself feel justified - but it doesn't change the landscape one bit, and isn't a substitute for actual evidence.

Playing home games away from Simonds is a disadvantage to us, financially and on game day, and it also undermines the integrity of the competition. Full stop.

Its remarkable that you could be so successful with the best home and away game deal of any of the 18 teams in the competition.
If you cant see how good you have it already, then you're either too biased or too stupid.

Theres more to it than stamping your feet about getting every home game at Simmonds.

You are getting warm....

I think Geelong should get their home games wherever they want them, so don't think I'm arguing that point.

But do you think playing so many games on the MCG may have helped you on grand final day in any of the last three flags?

No, just the home games, like every other team in the AFL get. Nice to see Geelong is still on your mind though. :drunk:

You're right I'm still thinking about Friday night. It was marvellous. I notice Geelong fans pretty quiet. Even the umps felt sorry for you in the 2nd half.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, just the home games, like every other team in the AFL get. Nice to see Geelong is still on your mind though. :drunk:

Off the top of my head Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn and Melbourne have all regularly had to play home games away from their nominated home grounds for many years and Sydney has had to play finals at a venue it hates. It's not as uncommon as you think.

Off the top of my head Collingwood, Richmond, Hawthorn and Melbourne have all regularly had to play home games away from their nominated home grounds for many years and Sydney has had to play finals at a venue it hates. It's not as uncommon as you think.

4 times a year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 times a year?

It used to be 4 times a year for Collingwood until we cleverly struck a deal with the MCG that involved the AFL getting something they wanted (no more compulsion to play a final every week at the MCG), which would be the only reason they ticked off on it. It's now down to twice a year. Still more than 0 as the post I quoted asserted.

Collingwood have 14 games at the MCG this year, Hawthorn 11 games at the MCG + 4 at their nominated home in Tasmania, Richmond 11 games MCG, Melbourne 11 games MCG and that 1 home game they willingly relocated to Alice Springs. So all these teams have at least 11 games a year at their nominated home grounds, while Geelong has 7 games at their nominated home ground of Kardinia Park, and have fought tooth and nail just to bump it up to 9.

How many whinge cry me a river threads do cats supporters need on the main AFL Board. Suck it up
You're right I'm still thinking about Friday night. It was marvellous. I notice Geelong fans pretty quiet. Even the umps felt sorry for you in the 2nd half.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Funny, we've got two Adelaide supporters who can't for the life of them stay on topic. That chip just gets bigger by the day huh? :drunk::thumbsu:

Collingwood have 14 games at the MCG this year, Hawthorn 11 games at the MCG + 4 at their nominated home in Tasmania, Richmond 11 games MCG, Melbourne 11 games MCG and that 1 home game they willingly relocated to Alice Springs. So all these teams have at least 11 games a year at their nominated home grounds, while Geelong has 7 games at their nominated home ground of Kardinia Park, and have fought tooth and nail just to bump it up to 9.

You realise we share the MCG with other teams, though? Hence why we still play a good number of matches there. If there were 5-6 tenants at Kardinia Park and you only played there 7 times I'd start to worry.

I agree you should have at least 9, by the way. Just don't pretend every club gets their home games exactly where they want, because they don't. We are all at the mercy of the AFL. People go on about Collingwood running the AFL but we still have to have 2 of our home games at a venue where we cede any kind of home ground advantage and our supporters have decided they don't want to go to. Teams have to compromise on some level. Melbourne and Hawthorn sell home games as they know they'll be better off going to Tassie or the NT instead of the alternative, which is playing some or all of those games at Docklands.

For all the people who have it in their heads that we don’t want 11 games at KP:

View attachment 425065

This would finally put us on a level playing field with all the other teams.

Hopefully the AFL does the right thing.

Level, but not even a real oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back