List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - 2017/2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was watching Pendles on the club website, stating that our list is good and just need to keep the same guys together to get some stability. Basically saying we dont want to bring in new players, aside from the draft, and we will be going around again with basically the same list.
Im not sure l can buy what the club is selling. To me the list for the last couple of years has had holes in it. A overabundance of midfielders, and not enough KPP or its to one paced, and no quick players who can break a game open or not enough elite kicks, who can create play off half back.
I dont think we will get anyone this trade period despite needing a forward and there are a few available this trade period, we may look at someone during the delisted player FA period in November or preseason draft.
Not sure l agree with the way we are going, which will obviously be the draft for a key forward who will take a few years to come on eg. Brander.
Are we going this way because we are still in rebuild mode, the club thinks we are not "in the window" stage or we have just so badly mismanaged our salary cap we cannot afford, which is the popular opinion, to bring in players we may actually want, and all these comments by Walsh and now Pendles that the list is good, is just talk to coverup this fact?

You have to factor in the time it takes him to draw it all up in his head.

"Don't have time to post now. Let me just post to let everyone know about that."

I think he's just going to wait for it to actually happen and then tell us because he wouldn't want to give away the club's secrets.

I was watching Pendles on the club website, stating that our list is good and just need to keep the same guys together to get some stability. Basically saying we dont want to bring in new players, aside from the draft, and we will be going around again with basically the same list.
Im not sure l can buy what the club is selling. To me the list for the last couple of years has had holes in it. A overabundance of midfielders, and not enough KPP or its to one paced, and no quick players who can break a game open or not enough elite kicks, who can create play off half back.
I dont think we will get anyone this trade period despite needing a forward and there are a few available this trade period, we may look at someone during the delisted player FA period in November or preseason draft.
Not sure l agree with the way we are going, which will obviously be the draft for a key forward who will take a few years to come on eg. Brander.
Are we going this way because we are still in rebuild mode, the club thinks we are not "in the window" stage or we have just so badly mismanaged our salary cap we cannot afford, which is the popular opinion, to bring in players we may actually want, and all these comments by Walsh and now Pendles that the list is good, is just talk to coverup this fact?

An example to put what Pendles is saying in perspective:

In 2001, a young and improving Collingwood missed the finals.

In the 2001 trade period, the club didn't make a move. Not one.

In 2002, the young brigade matured, the veteran brigade found a leg and the club finished inside the top 4 and got within a couple of kicks of a premiership.

The list does have holes - every list in the comp does. I agree, the list management has been confusing at best - but don't discount the effect a group of 21-24 year olds can have on results when they take a leap together.

I don't care what other clubs predicaments are.. I have said this many times.. we set the bar as high as we possibly can.. and if it means organising contracts so we are active in the trade period yr in yr out.. then look into it more professionally. You're the one who creates precedents for others to follow. It's about being pro active and looking at innovative ways of improving our club and it's chances all the time. We do not rest.. we always move forward.
One big drawback to such high handed tactics with players - word will get around that we are ruthless and that is a negative come trade time.
You can't have it coming and going as well.

You have to factor in the time it takes him to draw it all up in his head.

"Don't have time to post now. Let me just post to let everyone know about that."

To be fair, I do remember him saying a few days ago that he was catching up with supposed source on Friday, so if he was going to make it up, he has had all week :p

I like the reference to stability. I'd add chemistry to that too, forming a potent mix which helped the Dogs and Tigers to their flags - it wasnt all down to their list make-up and individual stars.

We seem to have had record numbers of list turnovers in the last 5-6 years. I'm OK with slowing that down a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't we offer a player say what we have to spend this yr $500k.. then up it in 2019 and beyond to whatever the f ever it is.. to make the difference for paying a top line player sweet f all in his first yr.

1st yr 500k
2nd 1 mil
3rd 1 mil

Whatever.. wouldn't that effectively make his contract in excess of 800k per yr.

Like the bloke is gonna hit skid row after getting paid 500k.. ELA re!
Tell ya what re

Take a time machine back to your early teens and star enough in the juniors to get into the draft re

Have a hamstring issue and a couple of corks a year re

Get selected by a club and spend 2 years breaking into the AFL side whilst collecting a couple of dislocations and shoulder re

Then finally make the grade for best 22 and collect another couple of corkies and knee re

You are now 21 - 23 with a hammy repair, a couple of dislocations and a knee reconstruction and sitting on the sidelines rehabbing whilst juniors are going past you re

You finally break back into the side after a couple of years rehab and game day strength building and you are 25 re

You have - on average - 2 contracts at your full potential earnings for your payday before your body is stuffed for sport re

20 years later and your knee is stuffed and needs repair, not to mention the arthritis in both shoulders re

500k per year not on skid row? re

superficial, as always. re

Dal santo is the biggest flog. Why the **** would Pies want tippet

I blame SEN.

THey get him on to be the Trade Expert....and then at the very start of the interview he qualifies what he is saying with the comment "I'm not an expert at this sort of stuff".

Then why get him on to talk about it? Better just to leave him talk about tactics etc. He clearly isn't up with the trade talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back