Ablett coming home

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't one, other than some making out like the Cats HAVE to pay big for him.

Well maybe you should quote those people instead since I never said Geelong have to do anything.

Since we're throwing s**t against the wall, I think Ablett is worth trading something decent for. Rolling him through the Cats midfield would allow Dangerfield to play forward more often. Hell, Gary himself is more than capable of kicking goals. You could basically rotate the two players through the forward line and midfield and it would be an absolute bugger for oppo teams to match up on.

For all the bickering it doesn't look like Ablett's value is the sticking point. The problem is Gold Coast haven't been able to convince any players to go up there. Geelong allowed them to talk to plenty of players but nobody wanted to go. If GC find a player then Geelong will facilitate it and a deal will get done. If they can't find a player it'll be a bit more difficult cause picks aren't that useful for GC.

GC are only looking for established players because they know Geelong don't have any decent picks to work with. This is the downside of spending future years picks as you can't have your cake and eat it too. It's fair to say pick 19 on it's own probably isn't going to do it and the Cats definitely won't spend next years picks because it's a highly rated draft. It's a bit of a pickle.

Last edited:
For all the bickering it doesn't look like Ablett's value is the sticking point. The problem is Gold Coast haven't been able to convince any players to go up there. Geelong allowed them to talk to plenty of players but nobody wanted to go. If GC find a player then Geelong will facilitate it and a deal will get done. If they can't find a player it'll be a bit more difficult cause picks aren't that useful for GC.
Same thing happened last year with us and Omera.
Suns said they would take players x, y or z.
All three said nope.

Well maybe you should quote those people instead since I never said Geelong have to do anything.

Since we're throwing s**t against the wall, I think Ablett is worth trading something decent for. Rolling him through the Cats midfield would allow Dangerfield to play forward more often. Hell, Gary himself is more than capable of kicking goals. You could basically rotate the two players through the forward line and midfield and it would be an absolute bugger for oppo teams to match up on.

Absolutely we could. Should his body hold together at least.
A fit Ablett would be a massive inclusion for the Cats, there's absolutely no denying it and that's why they'll likely pay a decent price for him.
At the same time the risk is very high. He is 33 right now with dodgey shoulders and hammys.
Price for me is around 25-30 or a player like a Murdoch or Lang.

Absolutely we could. Should his body hold together at least.
A fit Ablett would be a massive inclusion for the Cats, there's absolutely no denying it and that's why they'll likely pay a decent price for him.
At the same time the risk is very high. He is 33 right now with dodgey shoulders and hammys.
Price for me is around 25-30 or a player like a Murdoch or Lang.

I know what you're getting at in regards to Ablett's injury concerns and we're it any other player, I would agree with you but this is GAJ we're talking about. Should he stay fit, the upside is absolutely huge and Gold Coast know this. I wouldn't expect them to take unders because of hypothetical injuries that may or may not occur.

Geelong's official line on Ablett has always been that you're happy to have him as long as the deal suits you.

Nothing wrong with that, any club would do the same.

But some posters are making out like the Suns are the bad guys for not letting him go easily and now this terrible thing has happened they are the pricks. and Geelong was just concerned about Gary.

The truth is both teams were looking after their own interest (nothing wrong with that of course, thats their job) and neither has gone out of their way to help Gary.
That's just not true. They haven't been after picks, they've wanted players, just like O'Meara last year.
How do we go "out of our way" when we rightly refuse the ambit claims of Duncan and Cockatoo and the other players we've discussed do not want to go there. Not much we can do about that now is there.

I know what you're getting at in regards to Ablett's injury concerns and we're it any other player, I would agree with you but this is GAJ we're talking about. Should he stay fit, the upside is absolutely huge and Gold Coast know this. I wouldn't expect them to take unders because of hypothetical injuries that may or may not occur.

Do you think a mid second rounder is unders?
He's certainly not worth 19 or 21 IMO.

That's just not true. They haven't been after picks, they've wanted players, just like O'Meara last year.
How do we go "out of our way" when we rightly refuse the ambit claims of Duncan and Cockatoo and the other players we've discussed do not want to go there. Not much we can do about that now is there.

Context is important here though isn't it? GC are asking for established players because...

A. They know Geelong have bugger all decent picks to work with this year.

and

B. They know Geelong need to bring in some quality youth and are unlikely to trade the paltry amount of worthwhile picks they still have.

You can't really blame GC here and the Cats can't force players to move against their will. Not surprising we've ended up with bit of a stalemate.

Do you think a mid second rounder is unders?
He's certainly not worth 19 or 21 IMO.

Honestly pick 19 or 21 is probably overs but you always have to pay a little extra when you go after contracted players.

Context is important here though isn't it? GC are asking for established players because...

A. They know Geelong have bugger all decent picks to work with this year.

and

B. They know Geelong need to bring in some quality youth and are unlikely to trade the paltry amount of worthwhile picks they still have.

You can't really blame GC here and the Cats can't force players to move against their will. Not surprising we've ended up with bit of a stalemate.
Agreed.
My beef is they knew this last year and didn't trade him then, we had decent picks last year.

Cough up 19 and 21 and move on.

No way Geelong can afford that. They spent big on established players last year. Going two years in a row without bringing in any quality youth would be some seriously shoddy list management. I've also heard this years ND is rather shallow. They can't be assured they will find any quality players late in the draft.

This is obviously a terrible tragedy, and of course all sympathy to Gary and his family.

However, it's a bit rough making Gold Coast out to be the bad guys in all this.

Let's not pretend that Geelong want to do this trade only out of the goodness of their hearts. They want Ablett back because he is still an elite talent at a time when they still clearly see themselves as a premiership contender.

If Ablett was spent, or if it was another player of no on field value to them, they would not be offering a contract out of compassion.

That is perfectly normal and the reality of professional sport. However, those advocating that the Ablett deal must be done for compassionate reasons should consider that this could be achieved by Geelong paying overs rather than by Gold Coast yielding. Would Geelong supporters still want Ablett back on compassionate grounds at the cost of, for example, a first round pick or Mitch Duncan?
They now have the freebie first rounder and get Ablett and a GC 3rd in return.

They probably wanted to make a stand because they had already lost O'Meara and "Mr Potato Head" Prestia.

How come GC fans don't hang crap on O'Meara, who the Suns kept on their list for two years while he was injured, when he didn't play a game for them, and when he finally recovers, he repays the club's loyalty by requesting a trade to Hawthorn?
They do.

No way Geelong can afford that. They spent big on established players last year. Going two years in a row without bringing in any quality youth would be some seriously shoddy list management. I've also heard this years ND is rather shallow. They can't be assured they will find any quality players late in the draft.

Ablett can win them a flag.

I reckon thats cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet Gary has gone to the Cats and told them how bad things are and how much he needs to get back there and they've said sure bud if we can get you on the cheap were happy to help.

Don't pretend you're the good guys in this. You Aren't.
Its breathtaking isnt it......every geelong yocal POV = evil suns MUST let jr go for peanuts....compassion/player well being is paramount blah blah blah
So being the compassionate/ endearing supporters geelong yocals are ,one would imagine pick 19 should be handed over no dramas ....get the trade done /just get gary home for gods sakes right?....but nooooooo its not kind and caring geebung supporters view at all, its gary is also 34 and injured so pick 80 odd is all hes worth ......

The awfl just rigged the compo system so they got pick 19 (the same hawks got for buddys 10 year ,10 mill ..lol)...its being handed over geebung supporters so get over it and stop pretending to take the high moral ground here

Ablett can win them a flag.

I reckon thats cheap.

99% of the time when people talk about the final piece of the puzzle, it turns out to be bullshit. Footy isn't like basketball. You can't rely on one player to get you over the line. You need depth and quality right throughout your best 22.

99% of the time when people talk about the final piece of the puzzle, it turns out to be bullshit. Footy isn't like basketball. You can't rely on one player to get you over the line. You need depth and quality right throughout your best 22.

Fair enough for good players.

We're discussing one of the all time greats added to a top 4 team.

Are you ******* serious? **** you're a ****.

How is what I wrote any different than Cats fans telling the suns to hand him over for pick 40?

Take off the goggles and stop being a hypocrite.

Last edited:
Gibbs...lol. he's a hyundai. Ablett is a Mercedes.

Ablett is a C63 black with a worn steering rack and a coolant leak.
There's also a hint of a top end knock.
Might be able to patch it up and get 50 thousand kms of pure joy out of it, or it could all fall in a heap and you can't even pass it off to a dodgy second hand chop shop.

Ablett is a C63 black with a worn steering rack and a coolant leak.
There's also a hint of a top end knock.
Might be able to patch it up and get 50 thousand kms of pure joy out of it, or it could all fall in a heap and you can't even pass it off to a dodgy second hand chop shop.
Gaz is a c63 running on 7 cylinders. If he just had a cooked rack and water pump youd just top him up with fluid and hed temporarily perform to peak. But when gaz aint 100% he just wont budge. Its...you know...not something gaz does...push through adversity. Then again he could just be faking it all in an opposite situation to trying to sell a car...hes trying the decrease his resale value to shaft his owners...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back