Mod. Notice The One Stop Off Season State of Origin Thread

Gimmicky as it is, I do like the international rules, but it would almost certainly have to be killed off to allow for a SoO series, which would certainly be best held around the time the IRS takes place. Having said that, whether it could sustain the interest of both players and fans year-on-year is another thing.

Additionally, the Allies concept should be abandoned, but some states/territories wouldn't have nearly enough talent to be competitive, and leaving them out altogether would be seen as a cruel rejection, reducing interest in those states. Which could mean that only the usual Vic/SA/WA are involved, which could leave one of those out in the cold were it a once-a-year match - again reducing interest in that state.

Unfortunately, all this means that it's highly unlikely SoO will happen in any meaningful fashion any time soon.

I would like to see SA versus NSW to test this assumption

There is a thread on the Crows board at the moment about targeting SA players around the AFL to get them back to Adelaide

Someone went through and listed them all

It made me glad that State of Origin is dead, because quite frankly the SA list didn't look too flash and Crows probably got the best one in Gibbs this year already

1200px-Ceuthophiluscricket.jpg

The only way it will return is with the AFL not treating the state leagues with contempt. When they were being independently run before around 2010, the state game was actually really well received. A bit of extra unsung there to allow a few marquee signings at each club (imagine the Likes of Brent Harvey deciding to play in the VFL) and we would have fantastic state leagues combined with a state game that would held development of the game long term

Code:
FB -   Neville Jetta   Jeremy McGovern   Ben Stratton
   HB -   Elliot Yeo      Alex Rance        Nathan Wilson
   C  -   Stephen Hill    Patrick Cripps    Brad Hill
   HF -   Michael Walters Lance Franklin    Mitch McGovern
   FF -   Jesse Hogan     Josh J Kennedy    Jeff Garlett
   Foll - Paddy Ryder     Nathan Fyfe       Stephen Coniglio
   I/C -  Cale Hooker     Jason Johannisen  Mitch Duncan
          David Swallow

Code:
FB -   Neville Jetta   Jeremy McGovern   Ben Stratton
   HB -   Elliot Yeo      Alex Rance        Nathan Wilson
   C  -   Stephen Hill    Patrick Cripps    Brad Hill
   HF -   Michael Walters Lance Franklin    Mitch McGovern
   FF -   Jesse Hogan     Josh J Kennedy    Jeff Garlett
   Foll - Paddy Ryder     Nathan Fyfe       Stephen Coniglio
   I/C -  Cale Hooker     Jason Johannisen  Mitch Duncan
          David Swallow

A very well balanced team there. Probably would not beat Victoria but in saying that it is not out of the question. They could win 3 times out of 10.

They allow good players to play in the International Rules now. I can't see why not seeing as that is the main argument.

But the CEOs and others for both countries means they won't get rid of that. A nice junket to Ireland or Australia for a fortnight is too nice of a work bonus.

So about 60% of the list, which is quite a lot but you can't really say they are representative of Western Australian football.

Yeah its lower than I recalled.
Especially in the last few years of the Worsfold era we almost exclusively drafted Western Australians. In that 2017 SOO team I posted there was only three Eagles players anyway.
Depending on fitness and form it could probably reach 5 or 6 but I think that in any given year Fremantle and West Coast would be unlikely to make up even half of a WA side.

Yeah its lower than I recalled.
Especially in the last few years of the Worsfold era we almost exclusively drafted Western Australians. In that 2017 SOO team I posted there was only three Eagles players anyway.
Depending on fitness and form it could probably reach 5 or 6 but I think that in any given year Fremantle and West Coast would be unlikely to make up even half of a WA side.

and the above list of players, wouldn't you love just for one or two games cheering on the likes of Buddy or Rance?

I know I would love to be cheering guys like Hawkins, Walker, Bruest etc for a match or two

If the AFL wanted to do it then it could be a success again, they just have to back it in and market it.
The sheep will follow as long as Gillon tells you to watch it.
Stupid idea like AFLX and the sheep will turn up and get behind it, the sheep are watching womans footy now because the AFL promoted it. No one was watching it before.
If Gillon wants to make the SOO the biggest game of the footy season he could, he just has to say it is and the sheep will be there in droves.

wouldn't you love just for one or two games cheering on the likes of Buddy or Rance?
No, because they play for Vic teams and I couldn't care less where they were born originally all those years ago.

The whole thing was s**t canned because it was obsolete in modern football with an elite national competition emerging. It wont be coming back and it's the correct decision.

and the above list of players, wouldn't you love just for one or two games cheering on the likes of Buddy or Rance?

I know I would love to be cheering guys like Hawkins, Walker, Bruest etc for a match or two

I'd love it personally.

Suspect South Australians might not but surely I'm missing some obvious players from this list.

Code:
FB   - Tom Jonas     Heath Grundy    Shannon Hurn
HB   - Brodie Smith  Jack Hombsch    Rory Laird
C    - Jared Polec   Bryce Gibbs     Shaun Burgoyne
HF   - Caleb Daniel  Justin Westhoff Chad Wingard
FF   - Eddie Betts   Daniel Menzel   Orazio Fantasia
Foll - Sam Jacobs    Brad Ebert      Lachie Neale
I/C  - Brodie Grundy Hamish Hartlett Ryan Burton
       Shane Edwards

No chance in hell of knocking off VIC or WA and I'd back NSW to knock this off as well.

Edit: Forgot Phil Davis who would make the team but doesn't sort out that forward line.

No, because they play for Vic teams and I couldn't care less where they were born originally all those years ago.

The whole thing was s**t canned because it was obsolete in modern football with an elite national competition emerging. It wont be coming back and it's the correct decision.

So you never watch international sport? You never cheer for Australia in the Olympics, after all, it shouldn't matter where they are born.

I'd love it personally.

Suspect South Australians might not but surely I'm missing some obvious players from this list.

Code:
FB   - Tom Jonas     Heath Grundy    Shannon Hurn
HB   - Brodie Smith  Jack Hombsch    Rory Laird
C    - Jared Polec   Bryce Gibbs     Shaun Burgoyne
HF   - Caleb Daniel  Justin Westhoff Chad Wingard
FF   - Eddie Betts   Daniel Menzel   Orazio Fantasia
Foll - Sam Jacobs    Brad Ebert      Lachie Neale
I/C  - Brodie Grundy Hamish Hartlett Ryan Burton
       Shane Edwards

No chance in hell of knocking off VIC or WA and I'd back NSW to knock this off as well.

This is not up to date as I made it early this year but here is the NSW/ACT team

B: Dane Rampe, Sam Rowe, Zac Williams
HB: Matt Suckling, Phil Davis, Callum Mills
C: Isaac Smith, Kieren Jack, Harry Cunningham
HF: Matthew Kennedy, Taylor Walker, Jacob Hopper
F: Josh Bruce, Tom Hawkins, Luke Breust
FOLL: Sam Naismith, Isaac Henney, Anthony Miles
I/C: Taylor Duryea, Jarrod Witts, Jarrad McVeigh, Jack Steele

Of that team I would be removing Miles and probably Rowe from it but I would salivate at the thought of Rampe and Williams in the same team.

This is not up to date as I made it early this year but here is the NSW/ACT team

B: Dane Rampe, Sam Rowe, Zac Williams
HB: Matt Suckling, Phil Davis, Callum Mills
C: Isaac Smith, Kieren Jack, Harry Cunningham
HF: Matthew Kennedy, Taylor Walker, Jacob Hopper
F: Josh Bruce, Tom Hawkins, Luke Breust
FOLL: Sam Naismith, Isaac Henney, Anthony Miles
I/C: Taylor Duryea, Jarrod Witts, Jarrad McVeigh, Jack Steele

Of that team I would be removing Miles and probably Rowe from it but I would salivate at the thought of Rampe and Williams in the same team.

Old SOO rules would have Davis as a South Australian as he spent his teen years in Adelaide.

Old SOO rules would have Davis as a South Australian as he spent his teen years in Adelaide.

Apparently though the more up to date rules (where they started playing Aussie Rules) has Davis in Canberra though, sort of like how Goodes played for Victoria in the State of Origin game in 2008 despite spending the first 12 years of his life in Adelaide.

Back