Mega Thread Things that s**t me part XII - The Twelfth One!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Medicine is the science and practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. Medicine encompasses a variety of health care practices evolved to maintain and restore health by the prevention and treatment of illness."
Yeah it comes under the complimentary alternative banner aka not real medicine

It may help you feel better, it may speed up recovery it may be a placebo effect etc

It may help you feel better, it may speed up recovery it may be a placebo effect etc

I'm sure you mean "from a Western perspective"

If it makes you feel better who the bloody hell cares if it via placebo?

In fact the doctor 'experience' relies on similar principles to help patients.

I mean from a proven to work perspective

Again from a western pov
I'm pretty sure that the Chinese would have stopped using after a few thousand years it if it wasn't effective

Looks interesting. Will have a proper look tomorrow. Sunday night I'm not the least bit inclined to think about anything to do with school. There's no doubting the education system needs overhauling though. And it always annoys me that we look to the US abd UK for trends in education when their systems have been broken for years.

People who don't answer private numbers...

"Sorry I don't answer private numbers"

You think some big scary person is going to jump through the phone and hurt you?

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk
No, but I do fear that a scary voice will talk to me on the other end and that in 7 days a girl will come out of a well, through the TV and kill me.

No, but I do fear that a scary voice will talk to me on the other end and that in 7 days a girl will come out of a well, through the TV and kill me.
scream-drew.gif

Looks interesting. Will have a proper look tomorrow. Sunday night I'm not the least bit inclined to think about anything to do with school. There's no doubting the education system needs overhauling though. And it always annoys me that we look to the US abd UK for trends in education when their systems have been broken for years.
Finland has been regarded as having the top education model which has been the case for a few years now. In the early years of schooling, they focus more on learning through games and conversation rather than giving them homework or any real academic training nor is there any real testing until students are around 12-13 years old. Outdoor integrated learning plays a large part in the primary years which gets them motivated into learning but comes without the stress of homework and testing.

I have heard of one teacher here who would often take the children outside during most maths lessons and work on the oval or in the garden as a way to do this. This should really be encouraged rather than ridiculed.

By the age of 13 it is apparent which students are going to be academics, sporting, trade or artistic. I would like to see schools which have an emphasis on one of these, like The Newtown School of Performing Arts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finland has been regarded as having the top education model which has been the case for a few years now. In the early years of schooling, they focus more on learning through games and conversation rather than giving them homework or any real academic training nor is there any real testing until students are around 12-13 years old. Outdoor integrated learning plays a large part in the primary years which gets them motivated into learning but comes without the stress of homework and testing.

Sounds heaps better than the boring s**t at schools here that make kids hate learning (I don't believe anyone is actually born haters of learning). Homework and tests at primary school level is bullshit imo.

Agreed™

I have heard of one teacher here who would often take the children outside during most maths lessons and work on the oval or in the garden as a way to do this. This should really be encouraged rather than ridiculed.

Sounds good in theory but in reality can be pretty uncomfortable doing work on an oval, esp Maths work. unlike say English- reading a novel for example.

But yes, I generally agree going outside is good from time to time.

Sounds heaps better than the boring s**t at schools here that make kids hate learning (I don't believe anyone is actually born haters of learning). Homework and tests at primary school level is bullshit imo.

Never had homework (or tests?) when I was at Primary school. Circa mid80s- early 90s.

Except preparing for spelling tests.

Sounds good in theory but in reality can be pretty uncomfortable doing work on an oval, esp Maths work. unlike say English- reading a novel for example.

But yes, I generally agree going outside is good from time to time.

Never had homework (or tests?) when I was at Primary school. Circa mid80s- early 90s.

Except preparing for spelling tests.

I didnt do an exam until Year 10. School didnt believe in them.

I liked that school.

Never did homework other than reading either.

I didnt do an exam until Year 10. School didnt believe in them.

I liked that school.

Never did homework other than reading either.

Yeah I didn't do exams until VCE! I think perhaps we did practice ones in Year 10. We only ever had tests from Year 7-10.

In hindsight, imho exams should begin at Year 9.

At the school I work at they begin at 7 which I think is too early.

I'm sure you mean "from a Western perspective"

If it actually works its medicine. Otherwise its voodoo magic. Noting that magic may look cool, but is not actually real.

Yeah I didn't do exams until VCE! I think perhaps we did practice ones in Year 10. We only ever had tests from Year 7-10.

In hindsight, imho exams should begin at Year 9.

At the school I work at they begin at 7 which I think is too early.

Oh the school I finished Year 12 at started them in the Junior school. Just insane. But apparently the parents demanded it because they needed proof that the kids were learning.

Im pretty sure I have a solid handle on my kids because I pay attention to them. I dont need a test score to tell me.

I disagree with them because they just stress the poor Year 7s out- well some of them.

All of them mean jack s**t until Year 12 anyway..

I can understand Year 10 or Year 11 because you dont want the shock to the system in Year 12. The biggest problem is it encouraging teachers to teach the test. Which is what NAPLAN is. The results should never have been given to parents. It should only have ever been about helping the Education Department identify the schools which need help, and which schools should be looked at to see what they are doing right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back