Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Fix the poor midfield defense and you will find it will solve many of the problems our back 6 had. When the ball is not waltzing into the opposition forward line with no pressure it is a different story.
Exactly there were far too many occasions where I saw an opposition player just run by and one of our boys just standing and watching it happen.

He had an average year. He did beat some good players, but definitely a down year.

Also it wasn't a two way running issue, it was a clearance issue.
Defensive pressure from our midfield was ordinary and until it is fixed we won't win a final. Defensively sound midfield groups can still break even when being beaten in clearances.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Unfair to blame our defensive issues on Hartley, he was arguably the only key defender we had who almost always beat his man.

Blame it on the midfield only running one way, which put our defence under constant pressure.

Midfield defence is not going to improve his positiong and decision making/reading of the play.

I'd also say that Hartley's regression from his 2016 form, in a vastly inferior side that put him under more pressure, does not support the argument that Hartley's problem is the pressure the midfield had him under.

He had a fundamental problem with reacting to his opponents rather than playing the ball on its merits so much so that he often allowed an outpositioned opponent back into a contest.

He didn't have a good year.

Midfield defence is not going to improve his positiong and decision making/reading of the play.

I'd also say that Hartley's regression from his 2016 form, in a vastly inferior side that put him under more pressure, does not support the argument that Hartley's problem is the pressure the midfield had him under.

He had a fundamental problem with reacting to his opponents rather than playing the ball on its merits so much so that he often allowed an outpositioned opponent back into a contest.

You nailed it - There was around three occasions when the defence was destroyed by aerial balls - By definition aerial balls usually happen when the midfield is putting reasonable pressure on the opposition - Of course you may have a situation where an opposition sees you are vulnerable early in the game and then deliberately kick the ball long and high.

I agree he was not as good this year although I think you outlined his problem this year in that he was too reactive. Confidence down a bit and did not back himself to win the footy a lot of the time. I still think if we get the midfield defense right he will play with more confidence. Last year Ambrose got a lot of the big match ups early on. This year it was Hartley getting a lot of those jobs.

I agree he was not as good this year although I think you outlined his problem this year in that he was too reactive. Confidence down a bit and did not back himself to win the footy a lot of the time. I still think if we get the midfield defense right he will play with more confidence. Last year Ambrose got a lot of the big match ups early on. This year it was Hartley getting a lot of those jobs.

Hartley desperately needed to spend a solid block of time in the twos, to get him out of his own head and to change his focus from his opponent to the ball, but we couldn't keep Ambrose or Brown on the park.

I'm expecting him to be a new man with the benefit of another pre-season with the opportunity to learn from the mistakes which were so obvious. He is going to have to make significant improvements because he is not quick enough to be reactive. I do think that he'll get there, for what it's worth.

Everyone talks about Francis getting his tank together and improving his running. I'm sure that's a big part of it - and I have faith that he will step forward again this off season. He was WAYY behind in 2016 and better this year.

The bigger concern is his in-game focus. He seems to mentally switch off at times, sometimes just for five seconds. That's enough for him to be out of the play. Maybe that's fatigue? But it seems to happen early in quarters too. I think it's just a guy that has had the skills to impact games with a bunch of big moments rather than 120 minutes of effort.

I'm concerned that it's these concentration gaps that are holding him back even more than his core running ability.

Perhaps as he gets fitter his confidence will rise and he'll stay "on" in games. However there's also the chance that he will run all summer and still find it hard to rise above these old bad habits.

Looking good first day back.
And I like what he’s done with his hair.

BW124t6.jpg

Looking good first day back.
And I like what he’s done with his hair.

BW124t6.jpg

My major concerns from this pic include....
1. He needs a haircut...if not employ the man bun (needs to talk to Hooker and Longy). (Good for Brownlow voting too)
2. In that sun needs a hat. I’m talking about a Greg Chappell hat not the ones you can wear backyards.
3. No sunscreen. Seriously wtf. Do they not teach ppl to slip slop slap anymore? He already looks redder then a beetroot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks to have trimmed down a lot. Hopefully the fact neither Adelaide clubs were interested in him during trade week was the kick up the arse he needed

He looks a touch lighter than in July, but more importantly his body is more defined - he is getting to an AFL body.
In other words: 'HHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back