Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

The most significant moment of that video isn't actually the mark - one moment in an otherwise forgettable 13 disposal performance - but the lack of celebration after the siren. Not often you see a guy take a match saving mark in the final seconds and then not celebrate as the siren goes.
The bloke's last touch set up the winning goal.

When Francis got recruited, Dodo described him as a Jake Stringer type. He has got great goal kicking ability and plays great football in bursts.

If he can build his engine, perhaps he and Stringer rotating off a half forward flank into the midfield. Reckon he could become a seriously dangerous forward.

He is also aggressive as all hell. Once again, if the engine was there, he could apply some bone crunching forward pressure.

Laverde and Langford are the other considerations for this spot if they ever learn to find consistency and play a full game out.

Re his wanting to go home, he is not an Adelaide boy, he is Loxton on the Murray. Adelaide is no more his home than Melbourne is. He needs a couple of genuine mates around the club. And agree that reason why he wants to move is because he thinks he is not being given a go at the senior level.

I think in his 2 games this year he was played out of position up froward, the guy is still only 20 so just let him ease into seniors down back where he can use his strengths (contested marking and body work). I'd be keen to slot him into a back pocket round 1 and allow him to build his confidence as a loose player taking intercept marks. Then see what happens from there he might just come good which would be a huge bonus

I think in his 2 games this year he was played out of position up froward, the guy is still only 20 so just let him ease into seniors down back where he can use his strengths (contested marking and body work). I'd be keen to slot him into a back pocket round 1 and allow him to build his confidence as a loose player taking intercept marks. Then see what happens from there he might just come good which would be a huge bonus

I agree. Half Forward is one of the hardest positions to play. We have initially played other top draft picks down back with intention to move them up the ground. Why not Francis?
I reckon part of his interest to going to Adelaide was a promise to be predominantly played back. I hope the club doesn’t turn this into another ‘Hurley/Carlisle’ situation.

Didn't have the fitness to play in defence. Latter part of the season his fitness was up and he started playing defence.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

We need some genunie height in the backline. As good as Hooker has been upforward with providing some sort of structure, and I have been one of the biggest proponents of playing him forward, I think we can afford to send him to the backline. I think Hartley has shown a bit, but is not really up top notch and does not fill me with confidence underneath the high ball. As good as Hurley has been as an attacking defender, I would like to see him have more balance with his defensive side, but he's not big enough to be "the man". I believe we can play two intercepting medium defenders in Gleeson and Francis and two small defenders who can both either play an offensive or lock down role. Saad and McKenna can do that, McKenna needs some improvement in his defensive side but still has plenty of time.

I'd like to see us play Ambrose as a defensive player on the opposition's best mid. He is not only the best all-around athlete in the league in the league, he covers his lack of skill with selflessness. I have no doubt he could develop the ability and nous to simultenously block the run of the opposition's main clearance player at a stoppage and clear a path for some of our smaller inside mids like Parish and McGrath.

This means we can play Stewart as the link man, a traditional lead up CHF, Daniher as a 21st century FF, like a big marking CHF from the past, and Stringer as the cream on the cake 3rd forward. Stringer should play deep forward in combination with bursts in the midfield. This way he has more impact in both roles as his burst play forward can get more goals out of nothing and he saves petrol tickets for his time on the ball.

McGrath and Ambrose can play defense to cover for injury and we can sometimes use Ambrose in defense to change the shape of our side. For example, Ambrose can lock down on a big forward who also covers ground as a link player, Hooker can swing forward and Stringer can go onto the ball. We could also play Hooker, Ambrose and Hurley all down back with Francis swinging forward.

If Stringer builds up more of a tank and Francis really comes on we will have a very flexible side. Similar to the old "live with NLM" I think Francis and Stringer should be aiming to run and bench with Ambrose over summer!

God I hope Franga gets a good run at it this summer.

We need some genunie height in the backline. As good as Hooker has been upforward with providing some sort of structure, and I have been one of the biggest proponents of playing him forward, I think we can afford to send him to the backline. I think Hartley has shown a bit, but is not really up top notch and does not fill me with confidence underneath the high ball. As good as Hurley has been as an attacking defender, I would like to see him have more balance with his defensive side, but he's not big enough to be "the man". I believe we can play two intercepting medium defenders in Gleeson and Francis and two small defenders who can both either play an offensive or lock down role. Saad and McKenna can do that, McKenna needs some improvement in his defensive side but still has plenty of time.

I'd like to see us play Ambrose as a defensive player on the opposition's best mid. He is not only the best all-around athlete in the league in the league, he covers his lack of skill with selflessness. I have no doubt he could develop the ability and nous to simultenously block the run of the opposition's main clearance player at a stoppage and clear a path for some of our smaller inside mids like Parish and McGrath.

This means we can play Stewart as the link man, a traditional lead up CHF, Daniher as a 21st century FF, like a big marking CHF from the past, and Stringer as the cream on the cake 3rd forward. Stringer should play deep forward in combination with bursts in the midfield. This way he has more impact in both roles as his burst play forward can get more goals out of nothing and he saves petrol tickets for his time on the ball.

McGrath and Ambrose can play defense to cover for injury and we can sometimes use Ambrose in defense to change the shape of our side. For example, Ambrose can lock down on a big forward who also covers ground as a link player, Hooker can swing forward and Stringer can go onto the ball. We could also play Hooker, Ambrose and Hurley all down back with Francis swinging forward.

If Stringer builds up more of a tank and Francis really comes on we will have a very flexible side. Similar to the old "live with NLM" I think Francis and Stringer should be aiming to run and bench with Ambrose over summer!

& throw a Begley into the mix and all hell could break loose;)

Hooker back isn't happening. Everyone may as well get used the it. RoCo interviewed Heppell yesterday and specifically raised that and was shot down. Hooker has been one of the best backs and now he is aiming to be one of the best forwards and that, quite simply, is that

Hooker back isn't happening. Everyone may as well get used the it. RoCo interviewed Heppell yesterday and specifically raised that and was shot down. Hooker has been one of the best backs and now he is aiming to be one of the best forwards and that, quite simply, is that
Only chance of it happening is if we sign Tom Lynch as a FA next year

Is he training the house down/smashing it in the nets yet?
Everythings coming out of the middle, it''s unreal. He is just belting everything, wearing one pad and no helmet - absolutely refuses to throw the ball back either - just stands their and stares back at the bowler like Viv Richards.

I have been a big advocate of Hooker forwards, and for his sake I like it. However, I am thinking about the team in general with defenders under the high ball.

Having said that, if we bring the pressure of Richmond this year and doggies last year, then a combination of Gleeson, Francis and Hurley will be heaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have been a big advocate of Hooker forwards, and for his sake I like it. However, I am thinking about the team in general with defenders under the high ball.

Having said that, if we bring the pressure of Richmond this year and doggies last year, then a combination of Gleeson, Francis and Hurley will be heaps.

If "under the highball' actually means 'under the highball' then we were fine, but if you're extrapolating that out to just our tall defence in general then they were given little to no protection all year and you've misidentified the problem

It hurt the backline when Ambrose was out and then when Hurley was carrying an injury through the second half of the season. Ambrose was not the same when he came back. I’m also not as pessimistic on Hartley as some others on here.

Hooker was in the top 3-4 in contested marks in forward line. Reckon he’s still learning the position.

If Stringer shows some form up forward, Hooker will be even more dangerous.

It hurt the backline when Ambrose was out and then when Hurley was carrying an injury through the second half of the season. Ambrose was not the same when he came back. I’m also not as pessimistic on Hartley as some others on here.

Hooker was in the top 3-4 in contested marks in forward line. Reckon he’s still learning the position.

If Stringer shows some form up forward, Hooker will be even more dangerous.

While Stringer isn't a big KPF he can be counted as one when we're trying to work out how much pressure our forward line will put on the opposition running the ball out of our forward line. Stringer, Hooker, Daniher and Stewart makes it too easy to do so.

While Stringer isn't a big KPF he can be counted as one when we're trying to work out how much pressure our forward line will put on the opposition running the ball out of our forward line. Stringer, Hooker, Daniher and Stewart makes it too easy to do so.

The plan is to mark it 100% of the time. :p

Worked at Adelaide with Jenkins, Walker, Lynch and McGovern.

Stewart’s a good runner/tackler

If "under the highball' actually means 'under the highball' then we were fine, but if you're extrapolating that out to just our tall defence in general then they were given little to no protection all year and you've misidentified the problem

There was definitely a problem with the high ball primarily due to Hartley barely being able to kill a contest this year. It's a weakness of the side but it's not really important enough to mess around with Hooker. I'd also back Hartley to become a much better player - he's going to have work his arse off and improve his game to continue to be a best 22 player.

There was definitely a problem with the high ball primarily due to Hartley barely being able to kill a contest this year. It's a weakness of the side but it's not really important enough to mess around with Hooker. I'd also back Hartley to become a much better player - he's going to have work his arse off and improve his game to continue to be a best 22 player.
Unfair to blame our defensive issues on Hartley, he was arguably the only key defender we had who almost always beat his man.

Blame it on the midfield only running one way, which put our defence under constant pressure.

Unfair to blame our defensive issues on Hartley, he was arguably the only key defender we had who almost always beat his man.

Blame it on the midfield only running one way, which put our defence under constant pressure.
He had an average year. He did beat some good players, but definitely a down year.

Also it wasn't a two way running issue, it was a clearance issue.

He had an average year. He did beat some good players, but definitely a down year.

Also it wasn't a two way running issue, it was a clearance issue.
He’s never going to be a star, people need to stop expecting him to be and judge him on the player he is.

He had as good a year as last year imo, but didn’t get a lot of help with the side being so offensively minded.

It was both, we didn’t win anywhere near enough of the contested ball and the midfield certainly didn’t defend well enough.

When Francis got recruited, Dodo described him as a Jake Stringer type. He has got great goal kicking ability and plays great football in bursts.

If he can build his engine, perhaps he and Stringer rotating off a half forward flank into the midfield. Reckon he could become a seriously dangerous forward.

He is also aggressive as all hell. Once again, if the engine was there, he could apply some bone crunching forward pressure.

Laverde and Langford are the other considerations for this spot if they ever learn to find consistency and play a full game out.

Re his wanting to go home, he is not an Adelaide boy, he is Loxton on the Murray. Adelaide is no more his home than Melbourne is. He needs a couple of genuine mates around the club. And agree that reason why he wants to move is because he thinks he is not being given a go at the senior level.

I suppose he has been Stringer like in his training and preparation :D

Only chance of it happening is if we sign Tom Lynch as a FA next year

Not sure there is any chance of anyone doing that after the AFL give him an extra million a year to stay at the GC ......

Fix the poor midfield defense and you will find it will solve many of the problems our back 6 had. When the ball is not waltzing into the opposition forward line with no pressure it is a different story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back