Strategy Forward Set Up 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at our forward structure, we really do need that quality small forward as the last missing piece. We've got quality talls now and lots of midfielders that kick goals and play deep but no rioli/betts type. That quick, agile, hard tackling player that can actually kick goals. I dont really rate Neade but I definitely see a place for him or a type like him. He just has to hit the scoreboard more.

Motlop will play at least 50% of games on a wing/midfield. Rocky about the same in the midfield.
I still want to see Chad go through the middle but I prefer him to play >50% of game time in the forward line. Gray even more so, say >70%.
3 talls sounds excessive after the Tigers' feat but I don't think you lose any forward line pressure with Dixon, Marshall or Watts.

Motlop will play at least 50% of games on a wing/midfield. Rocky about the same in the midfield.
I still want to see Chad go through the middle but I prefer him to play >50% of game time in the forward line. Gray even more so, say >70%.
3 talls sounds excessive after the Tigers' feat but I don't think you lose any forward line pressure with Dixon, Marshall or Watts.
I was thinking just that...forward pressure and Big Charlie delivers that in spades and is bloody frightening. Todd M from what I have seen already is following in Big Brother Charlies footsteps; is quick, smothers ball off boot extremely well, spoils and tackles like a 'small'. Just because Richmond succeeded with one tall doesn't mean others should necessary follow. Hell with Charlie, Marshall, Watts, Ryder, possibly Wild Billie etc I prefer a fwd structure that boasts the 3 Talls and 3 smaller rotating types, Gray x2, Wingard, Boak, Wines, Ebert, Motlop, Rockliff is fine by me plus a fit 'Cannon' can kick from the middle as well....the side that kicks the most GOALS wins.....just fix our accuracy....happy days

I was thinking just that...forward pressure and Big Charlie delivers that in spades and is bloody frightening. Todd M from what I have seen already is following in Big Brother Charlies footsteps; is quick, smothers ball off boot extremely well, spoils and tackles like a 'small'. Just because Richmond succeeded with one tall doesn't mean others should necessary follow. Hell with Charlie, Marshall, Watts, Ryder, possibly Wild Billie etc I prefer a fwd structure that boasts the 3 Talls and 3 smaller rotating types, Gray x2, Wingard, Boak, Wines, Ebert, Motlop, Rockliff is fine by me plus a fit 'Cannon' can kick from the middle as well....the side that kicks the most GOALS wins.....just fix our accuracy....happy days
and remiss of me to forget 'SPP'....how dare I....

Talls are good, forward line pressure is good, talls that can provide pressure give both. Just because Trengove was incapable of providing that pressure doesn’t mean athletic talls like Dixon, Marshall and Watts can’t. Richmond may have shown that pressuring smalls that can kick goals beats dinosaur talls, but we can have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Talls are good, forward line pressure is good, talls that can provide pressure give both. Just because Trengove was incapable of providing that pressure doesn’t mean athletic talls like Dixon, Marshall and Watts can’t. Richmond may have shown that prsssuring smalls that can kick goals beats dinosaur talls, but we can have the best of both worlds.

Until Usain Bolt, people thought Bolt-like people couldn't be short-distance runners. Why there can't be tall players that play like short ones?

(F50)

--X----------------
--------------------
----------------

---------X---------
------X----X------
---------X---------

----XXXXXXXX----
------X-X-X-X-----
---------X---------

Read the forum daily or bi-daily but rarely post. Had to login to post "Gold" to the above post.

Looking at our forward structure, we really do need that quality small forward as the last missing piece. We've got quality talls now and lots of midfielders that kick goals and play deep but no rioli/betts type. That quick, agile, hard tackling player that can actually kick goals. I dont really rate Neade but I definitely see a place for him or a type like him. He just has to hit the scoreboard more.

Agreed, but of our current list I see Wingard as the most likely to play the Betts/Rioli role, and with the addition of Rockliff, and to a lesser extent Motlop, the plan may be to leave him up forward for longer.

neade has the pace, capability and willingness to change our slow no pressure midfield. In fact, he's possibly our only one.

I prefer Wingard as a midfielder. He's so dynamic and creative, especially with his hands. I reckon those skills are wasted in the modern day forward line which seems to be either everyone race back towards goal on the slingshot for an easy goal or try get it past a wall of 480 players from both teams for a scrappy goal.

Not sure why some people are somehow expecting Watts to play a key forward/marking role when overhead marking is his weakness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We play Marshall and get games into him ....
For no obvious reason. Cargo cult mentality. He had a fair chance at the end of 2016 and fluffed it like 2015/16 Johnny Butcher. Three games and managed 1 goal in a 100+ point thrashing of Gold Coast. We have too many better options.

For no obvious reason. Cargo cult mentality. He had a fair chance at the end of 2016 and fluffed it like 2015/16 Johnny Butcher. Three games and managed 1 goal in a 100+ point thrashing of Gold Coast. We have too many better options.
I'm not sure if Marshall did have a chance at the end of the 2016 season, given he was undrafted at that point.

Seriously though, let's not ruin another young KPF by banishing him to the Sanfl until he's piling on the goals every week. Sometimes, it's better to let a player develop in the AFL. Get him in, and give him a decent run.

No we play him because he is good enough. He came in late and did his job of taking pressure off Dixon and if we had played Trengove instead of Impey in the final, Barass might have still beaten Marshall, but McGovern would not have had an easy job of being free to double team Marshall or Dixon depending on who was playing deep and close to McGovern at the time and Impey and Neade were running around in the middle of the ground. Marshall was more useful than Neade, Johnson and Impey in the 3 games he played and they played in the team.

No we play him because he is good enough. He came in late and did his job of taking pressure off Dixon and if we had played Trengove instead of Impey in the final, Barass might have still beaten Marshall, but McGovern would not have had an easy job of being free to double team Marshall or Dixon depending on who was playing deep and close to McGovern at the time and Impey and Neade were running around in the middle of the ground. Marshall was more useful than Neade, Johnson and Impey in the 3 games he played and they played in the team.

Marshall has some X factor about him. The lad gives me the feeling he will be a great player for us.

Marshall's job isn't to take pressure off of Dixon though. He's not a decoy. He's meant to be a viable target at goal.

I'm all for playing him if he's going to provide that, but if the only reason we are playing him in front of someone else is so he can 'develop' in a forward pocket while Dixon and Watts do all the grunt work that Marshall needs to be learning, I'd rather just give him games as the spearhead in the SANFL.

If we didn't get Watts, Marshall would be a lock for R1. Now if he plays R1, he's being selected on merit - which isn't something you could say about Trengove vs West Coast.

TALL FORWARDS

Stay at home/leading forward BIG DIX (also spending time up the ground if he's struggling for a touch)
Leading/marking/delivering forward (Tom Lynch role) BIG JACK WATTS
Roaming forward/ third tall roll BIG J WESTHOFF
DEPTH - BIG TODD MARSH, BIG BAD BILLY FRAMPTON

MIDFIELD FORWARD ROTATIONS
Wingard, R Gray, T Rocky.
I'd start Wingard in the guts and rotate him and Robbie, then rotate Rocky with either SPP or Ebo
DEPTH - S. GRAY (had a great 2017 but has to take his game to another level to cement his spot IMO)

WING/ HIGH HALF FORWARD
Polec and Motlop - these are the two that could take us to another level. Super important with ball in hand.
We need better delivery and these are the two we need setting up our forwards.
DEPTH K. AMON

CRUMBING/ INSIDE 50 PRESSURE FORWARD
J Neade - has to start 2018 they way he finished 2017. Really important roll. Can he play a whole year of senior footy?
DEPTH A. Johnson

PRETTY SEXY FORWARD LINE IMO.

TALL FORWARDS

Stay at home/leading forward BIG DIX (also spending time up the ground if he's struggling for a touch)
Leading/marking/delivering forward (Tom Lynch role) BIG JACK WATTS
Roaming forward/ third tall roll BIG J WESTHOFF
DEPTH - BIG TODD MARSH, BIG BAD BILLY FRAMPTON

MIDFIELD FORWARD ROTATIONS
Wingard, R Gray, T Rocky.
I'd start Wingard in the guts and rotate him and Robbie, then rotate Rocky with either SPP or Ebo
DEPTH - S. GRAY (had a great 2017 but has to take his game to another level to cement his spot IMO)

WING/ HIGH HALF FORWARD
Polec and Motlop - these are the two that could take us to another level. Super important with ball in hand.
We need better delivery and these are the two we need setting up our forwards.
DEPTH K. AMON

CRUMBING/ INSIDE 50 PRESSURE FORWARD
J Neade - has to start 2018 they way he finished 2017. Really important roll. Can he play a whole year of senior footy?
DEPTH A. Johnson

PRETTY SEXY FORWARD LINE IMO.

Isn't Westhoff playing in the midfield, outside the corridor? Or am I simply confusing players and posts?

Speaking in terms of Xs and Os, how would be a more accurate way of drawing the players distribution?

Currently, I imagine something like this:

(F50)

---------X---------
-------X---X-------
----X----X----X----

---------X---------
--X---X----X---X--
---------X---------

----X----X----X----
-------X---X-------
---------X---------

Does it make sense?

Lots of kisses..... no hugs

Isn't Westhoff playing in the midfield, outside the corridor? Or am I simply confusing players and posts?

He plays all over the ground. Utility in every sense of the word. He played a fair bit forward in the final V West Coast from memory, headed back when they started getting on top.

Why carnt i like my own posts?

Because you want a hug. Here:
8627794-3x2-940x627.jpg

Now, are we good? :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back