Remove this Banner Ad

Peninsula Boy

Premiership Player
Nov 19, 2006
Semaphore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Happy New Year to All

I thought I'd start an off season thread after listening to Xavier Duursma's PTV that was put up today.

I was thinking two things:

Top 5 - Who do you personally THINK will take a step up this year
Top 5 - Who do you HOPE will take a step up this year

I guess the step up can be:

Peripheral player to 22
22 to essential player
essential player to elite

THINK WILL TAKE A STEP UP

1. Jason Horne-Francis - was reminded in the other thread that he was very good at the Kangaroos in the midfield in his first year
2. Xavier Duursma - it is your time, X-Man. Hard running, plucking the tough mark, bow and arrow and working hard for the team
3. Zak Butters - will bring efficiency, quick mind and hands and football nous to the midfield
4. Josh Sinn - cannot wait to see him on the wing, perhaps later in the year
5. Jase Burgoyne - was excellent one on one last year and will hopefully add running off his opponent to his game. Super chill.

HOPE THEY WILL TAKE A STEP UP

1. Jason Horne-Francis - the guy with the most talent
2. Josh Sinn - unlimited potential
3. Mitch Georgiades - imagine when he puts it all together, Mark of the Year every week
4. Tom McCallum - we need another great defender
5. Dante Visentini - I hope a young ruck tears it apart

1. Miles Bergman - will be his breakout year
2. Jase Burgoyne - will excite off the half back flank
3. Xavier Duursma - will rebound after a down year
4. Kane Farrell - will become a consistent 4 quarter player in the back lines
5. Jed McEntee - will cement a place in the midfield rotation after having served his apprenticeship as a pressure forward

Happy New Year to All

I thought I'd start an off season thread after listening to Xavier Duursma's PTV that was put up today.

I was thinking two things:

Top 5 - Who do you personally THINK will take a step up this year
Top 5 - Who do you HOPE will take a step up this year

I guess the step up can be:

Peripheral player to 22
22 to essential player
essential player to elite

THINK WILL TAKE A STEP UP

1. Jason Horne-Francis - was reminded in the other thread that he was very good at the Kangaroos in the midfield in his first year
2. Xavier Duursma - it is your time, X-Man. Hard running, plucking the tough mark, bow and arrow and working hard for the team
3. Zak Butters - will bring efficiency, quick mind and hands and football nous to the midfield
4. Josh Sinn - cannot wait to see him on the wing, perhaps later in the year
5. Jase Burgoyne - was excellent one on one last year and will hopefully add running off his opponent to his game. Super chill.

HOPE THEY WILL TAKE A STEP UP

1. Jason Horne-Francis - the guy with the most talent
2. Josh Sinn - unlimited potential
3. Mitch Georgiades - imagine when he puts it all together, Mark of the Year every week
4. Tom McCallum - we need another great defender
5. Dante Visentini - I hope a young ruck tears it apart
All Hope
Orazio and Junior play 30 games and kick 60 goals between them, and available for all finals.

Duursma to take Amon's wing

Jase to show some R Gray magic on occasion on ball

One or two of Drew, Mead, Bergman, Sinn, Jones to genuinely step up quality into a midfield rotation befitting the Fab Five of Wines, Boak, Rozee, Butters and JHF.

And one want.

Mitch to play 15 Mtrs off Dixon at all times, and fly for everything when the ball is dropped on the Poker Machine's* head 8 out of every 10 F50 entries.

Last edited:
I think the ones we need to take the next step in order for us to have a good season are;

1 - Georgiades: He’s got huge potential and we need another prong in our attack to support Marshall as hopefully they main target.

2 - Farrell: It’s been a long time since we’ve had clean and efficient ball movement out of our defensive 50. Hope he can provide that quick drive and transition from defence to attack without the chippy chippy game style we’ve been playing for years.

3 - Butters: Rozee has taken that next step and now we need Butters to do the same. We need him to remain injury free and provide another high class midfield option.

4 - Pasini: We’re desperate to get games into our next string of key defenders. Ideally I think we need him to replace one of Jonas or Mckenzie before the end of the year and provide a better defensive option than they have been.

5 - Duursma: Loosing Amon will impact our forward transition unless he can be replaced. The best option to do that is if Duursma really starts to hit his straps and can get past the past couple years and setbacks. If he can become a top line wingman, it will go a long way to improving as a whole.

I expect one or two of Pasini, Jones, Burgoyne and Mead to step up from being in the 25 to 30 range on the list, to being best 22 quality by seasons end.

I expect one or two of Bergman, Bonner, Durrsma, Drew & Farrel to step up from being best 22 quality, to being automatics selections.

I expect one or two of Butters, SPP, Marshall, JHF and Georgiades to step up from being locks to being stars.

I expect Rozee and, of course, Hugh Jackson, to step up and join Wines in the conversation for best player in the comp.

Think:
Butters - over the injury and matured. Should be great.
Georgiades - so much potential and so little realised, injuries again.

Hope:
Dixon - if he steps up we are a chance.
Jones - has all the tools, but may not put it together.

Think will step up:

1 - Zac butters - goes from occasional spark in the midfield to really impactful regular contributor. Showed flashes of it last year, but could be a real difference maker in the midfield this year.
2 - Kane Farrell - becomes a first team half back. His kick is such a weapon and I loved what we saw from him at half back in the last few games of 2022.
3 - Mitch georgiades - becomes a key piece in iur forwardline. Keen to see him a regular on our scoresheet and a non-negotiable partner to Marshall in our best 22
4 - miles Bergman - took a while to break into the team last year, but looked back to his best in the last section of the season. Whether across half back, wing, or half forward, he is very capable of making a regular impact
5 - xavier duursma - needs to become our first choice winger, show the gut running and extreme courage we've seen in the past from him

Hope will step up:

1 - jace Burgoyne - hope he gets games and not just pushed out by the other half backs. So skilful, so poised, could be a massive player for us
2 - Jake pasini - really hope he becomes a regular best 22 fullback by end of year. He was showing that sort of potential qt the start of 2022
3 - Sam Hayes - love his ruck craft, hope more of a rounded game develops. Would love to see his form be so good that lycett just has to get out of the way
4 - Dante visentini - if not Hayes, would love it to be Dante. Showing heaps for a late pick tall. So good physically and below his needs for a tall, could develop into a serious weapon. Would love to see him debut this year
5 - Jackson mead - love his kicking, love his effort, love his connection to the club. No idea who he pushes out to make the team, but would just love him to develop a game so good we have no choice but to play him

Of the players I have seen perform Burgoyne and Visentini are two I have high hopes for, the latter named will need more time in the sanfl but I can see him debuting late 2023.

On the reverse side Lachie Jones is one who will need to lift, particularly with his decision making.

Of the players I have seen perform Burgoyne and Visentini are two I have high hopes for, the latter named will need more time in the sanfl but I can see him debuting late 2023.

On the reverse side Lachie Jones is one who will need to lift, particularly with his decision making.
I like Visentini a lot (and his brother is in next year's draft).
Don't be surprised if Tom McCallum, the interceptor with long arms becomes our third defender

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back