Training Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Still vividly remember Ken's first game coaching us, as it was my first game officially barracking for St Kilda and with a membership, after having previously barracked for Sydney for a few years (before that just tended to barrack for whoever was the best team, up until I was about 7 or 8yo, lol).

Was against Footscray at the Western Oval and we were standing just near the coaches box and at one of the breaks Ken came out to go and address the team and he pulled up his pant leg to reveal to us his Saints socks. Might have been at 3/4 time, with us up by 11 goals.

Was also Chris Grant's first AFL game, at just 17yo. He went on to kick 50 goals that year. If that was this year he wouldn't have even been old enough to be playing and would have just been drafted a couple of weeks ago and would have only been a couple of weeks off being too young to even be drafted this year! Would have been like if say Brander had been playing AFL this year and kicked 50 goals, rather than struggling to get a kick at times in the TAC Cup.

I know this isn’t the Disco here but there are lots of shots of inside Moorabbin and outside on the ground with the old stand still proudly standing . Also an early shot of Peckett and one of the Waklein twins . Here is TISM with Greg ! The Stop Sign .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a man of class

but i agree, i'm surprised we didn't just delist him after his first ever training session

I think roo said it best..
Nice.

I’d like to know which ******* genius at the club thought it would be good for a 19yr old to bulk up to 100kg+ during his 2nd season. Hugh is only 196cm & that’s far too heavy for a 19-20yr old!

For a guy that’s been in the system for 3 years to have ruptured his Achilles, then the following season have a turf toe injury.... In my professional opinion, he’s too heavy & in Racing terms, Weight. Stops. Trains

When it comes to KPPs, Agility beats strength in the modern game the majority of the time

Nice.

I’d like to know which ******* genius at the club thought it would be good for a 19yr old to bulk up to 100kg+ during his 2nd season. Hugh is only 196cm & that’s far too heavy for a 19-20yr old!

For a guy that’s been in the system for 3 years to have ruptured his Achilles, then the following season have a turf toe injury.... In my professional opinion, he’s too heavy & in Racing terms, Weight. Stops. Trains
well, he had good mobility as a youngster, he can lose the weight and still have decent enough mobility ala lynch, patton. Kosi's agility had more to do with his badly managed injuries (back and knee) and nothing to do with him getting tragically blindsided - but I'm sure as a knee doc you'd be all over that.. he will however have a higher chance of dementia and other serious problems, hence my calling you an ass. Kosi's main problem was he didn't really want to be an AFL footballer.

but mainly, forwards require less mobility than defenders hence the thought. Paddy and him could rotate out of the goalsquare as most key forwards do these days

I would suggest those people who are suggesting Hugh won't make it, either due to injury concerns, a lack of pace or a lack of ability, wait until they've viewed the 2018 version in action.

The performance displayed by the unwisely weighted and injury restricted 2017 model is no more relevant to his long term AFL prospects than is the output of the 2007 model, or indeed the 1997 one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, he had good mobility as a youngster, he can lose the weight and still have decent enough mobility ala lynch, patton. Kosi's agility had more to do with his badly managed injuries (back and knee) and nothing to do with him getting tragically blindsided - but I'm sure as a knee doc you'd be all over that.. he will however have a higher chance of dementia and other serious problems, hence my calling you an ass. Kosi's main problem was he didn't really want to be an AFL footballer.

but mainly, forwards require less mobility than defenders hence the thought. Paddy and him could rotate out of the goalsquare as most key forwards do these days
Paddy & Hugh as our hope for key forward roles.... god help us.

That’s wing & a prayer stuff.

Let’s just get them fit enough to play regular footy even just for Sandringham before we make calls like that

I would suggest those people who are suggesting Hugh won't make it, either due to injury concerns, a lack of pace or a lack of ability, wait until they've viewed the 2018 version in action.

The performance displayed by the unwisely weighted and injury restricted 2017 model is no more relevant to his long term AFL prospects than is the output of the 2007 model, or indeed the 1997 one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry Doc, but this is Hugh GODDARD we are talking about, not Hugh HEFNER ;) :D

I won’t have it , I was Hugh’s player advocate this year and so I have watched just about all of his highlights stuff . You can’t count last season because he had no preseason or any other running until mid season when he started to play in the development league and then on to Sandy . They tried to push him because of our lack of cover for key defensive players at the time but he was never going to get match fit . Remember he couldn’t do any running until a few weeks before his first development squad game from when he injured his Achilles almost a year prior.

Let’s give the poor guy a chance before we write him off as he’s still young and has a good size and a good head on his shoulders.

The 2018 version of Hugh Hefner is unlikely to get on the park at all, much less score

I won’t have it , I was Hugh’s player advocate this year and so I have watched just about all of his highlights stuff . You can’t count last season because he had no preseason or any other running until mid season when he started to play in the development league and then on to Sandy . They tried to push him because of our lack of cover for key defensive players at the time but he was never going to get match fit . Remember he couldn’t do any running until a few weeks before his first development squad game from when he injured his Achilles almost a year prior.

Let’s give the poor guy a chance before we write him off as he’s still young and has a good size and a good head on his shoulders.
Who’s writing him off?

All I’ve said is that he’s slow & not mobile - both are 100% true until he shows us he’s not.

Geez, just because I’m not towing this “oh we’ll just turn him into a CHF” or “he ran a 2.98sec 20m sprint in his Combine year (2014) so he is quick” line, doesn’t mean I’ve written him off. It just means I have common sense not to get to far ahead of where a player is really at.

Let’s just get him playing some footy at any level consistently before we start saying ‘he’ll be our next CHB for the next 10years”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back