Training Preseason 2018

Who is the recruit you are most looking forward to seeing at family day?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We have no chance of grabbing either rankine or lukosius. If they slipped past the top picks then the crows would grab both. Remember they will also get a 1st round pick for Sloane also. After we are premier's they will have 3 picks before our first.

They are in an awesomely strong position for next year's draft.

We have no chance of grabbing either rankine or lukosius. If they slipped past the top picks then the crows would grab both. Remember they will also get a 1st round pick for Sloane also. After we are premier's they will have 3 picks before our first.

They are in an awesomely strong position for next year's draft.

Brisbane and the suns would jump at those 2 . So lets hope they do

Brisbane got an end of first round pick for Rockliff. I can't see the cows getting better which would mean that even if we are premiers they would have two picks before us, not three. Sloane would get a good contract but he lost a bit of currency after he was found out by taggers.

Brisbane got an end of first round pick for Rockliff. I can't see the cows getting better which would mean that even if we are premiers they would have two picks before us, not three. Sloane would get a good contract but he lost a bit of currency after he was found out by taggers.

Long bow. Adelaide will get a pick possibly in the top 10 if it suits the AFLs narrative.

Long bow. Adelaide will get a pick possibly in the top 10 if it suits the AFLs narrative.
Yes, the AFL do make a lot of decisions based on which way the wind is blowing, don't they? But the AFL won't even reveal what the specifics of the formula are for working out free agent compo and after the James Frawley controversy they may be less likely to hand out first round compo. But even if they do I'm sure Adelaide's wouldn't be top 10. They should be in the eight, quite possibly the four and have a first-round draft pick of 11+ so at the best compo would be 12+.

Yes, but they've Melbourne's first round pick, so they've a lot more currency. If results were the same as this year they'd be trying to turn 10 + 17 into something higher, us 12 + 26 (Saints second). That's a s**t load of difference. If we're serious about Lukosius (or Rankine) we'll need to get a good quality player traded out to improve our position ...

But if Cows and Dees finish ahead of us ...
Nah, not gonna happen!!
And how come I've just got this horrible taste in my mouth ... :sick:

I'm really not sure, I've seen only Rankine play and I think he can be at Gav/McLeod levels of good. If you agree with my statement, do you take Kernahan over Gav?

Can I have both.

Rankine is a star in the making. So is Walsh at Geelong.

Back to your question though, I take Lukosious.

If I have pick 1 and 19 I take Lukosious.

I do this because If I let Rankine go I should still get a quality AFL midfielder with 19. Where as if I let Lukosious go I am very unlikely to be able to find a quality AFL standard CHF at pick 19.

If Walsh, Rankine or Lukosious don't go at number 1, the kid that does will be brilliant or Gold Coast had the first pick

The AFL don’t just pluck a random pick out of nowhere. You get a ‘band’ of compensation given to you. Band 1 (i.e the best compensation that the AFL have the discretion to give) is immediately after your real first rounder by ladder position. So unless the Crows miss the finals, they won’t be getting a top 10 pick for him.

The AFL don’t just pluck a random pick out of nowhere. You get a ‘band’ of compensation given to you. Band 1 (i.e the best compensation that the AFL have the discretion to give) is immediately after your real first rounder by ladder position. So unless the Crows miss the finals, they won’t be getting a top 10 pick for him.
The AFL manipulate it though. If Ablett wasn't going back to Geelong, Motlop wouldn't have gotten them pick 19 to trade. Adelaide won't get a top 10 pick (lets assume finish 4th), but 12 (assuming Melbourne are around the same mark), plus 15 and 16, gives a fair whack of currency. And that's assuming that with Sloane going, he doesn't help Adelaide on the way out, by trying to get a trade. If he walked to a lower ranked team, I'm sure Adelaide would rather do 12 + Sloane for a top 3 pick, then 12 + compensation. And if Sloane agrees to go for that (and I think that's a good chance), they've a decent shot at picking up a top pick.

You are correct and people are mixing up the compo rules associated with clubs losing players to the new clubs in 2010 and 2011 trading period for loss of uncontracted players and the 2012-current free agency compo rules.

In 2010 and 2011 a few sides got mid first round and straight after your first round pick compo - Geelong for losing Ablett, after whinging and the rules were changed to go from 1 pick to 2 picks comp, and then Melbourne in 2011 for losing Scully to the GWS got 2 picks.

In 2013 Buddy left under the free agency rules and Hawks got a compo pick after their 1st round pick 18 - ie pick 19, before variations.

In 2013 the Buddy compo ended up at 19 because of the following variations to picks - Melbourne used their Scully mid draft pick from 2011 at pick 9 Collingwood had pick 10 and got pick 11 compo for losing Thomas and Adelaide had no first round pick because of Tippett penalty for 2 drafts in 2012 ( ie lost original pick 8) and Essendon's first round pick in 2013 became an end of first round pick under the doping penalties (ie lost pick 10).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL manipulate it though.

They can manipulate the Band (see Motlop, Frawley) but they can’t manipulate the pick that results from the Band. They can’t give any more than Band 1 compo. And I’m sure Sloane will get contract offers that justify Band 1 compensation anyway without any need for manipulation.

They can manipulate the Band (see Motlop, Frawley) but they can’t manipulate the pick that results from the Band. They can’t give any more than Band 1 compo. And I’m sure Sloane will get contract offers that justify Band 1 compensation anyway without any need for manipulation.
I'd like to share this same confidence but the AFL's "whatever feels right" mantra undermines that.

Between the unquantifiable priority pick system, the decision to ask the clubs about whether we received top-up players for Ryderfries, the Motlop /Ablett compensation pick, the Cotchin GF decision, the AFL umpires' rule of the week, the ridiculous temporary ban on Sydney trading(?!?).. they've got a track record for selective amnesia and shifting the goalposts at a whim, all the more unfuriating as there are never any grandfathering clauses which makes planning impossible. Which in any case would be redundant anyway since the rules don't normally last more than a couple years.

Everything you've mentioned there is a discretionary decision. Usually I'm with you, I don't trust the AFL's integrity in exercising their discretion in the slightest, but they don't have discretion here. They can and do manipulate what Band of compensation that a club gets for a player, but that's where their discretion ends. The system dictates that you can't get any higher than Band 1 compensation, and the system dictates that Band 1 compensation is immediately after your first rounder. The only way that changes is if they change the rules completely.
I'm more cynical that the system won't magically change to a discretionary one based on on the colour of one of Gillon's farts.

But you're right and admittedly it's a system which has at least been in place for 5 or 6 seasons now so there's some modicum of longevity there; and even if there were changes the system seems to be swinging the other way, with the pressure being applied to reduce (or scrap) FA compensation completely. Either way, you can be assured that whatever Adelaide receive for Sloane won't compensate them for ripping the heart out of their club.

Frawley being worth so much more than Rockliff was a disaster.

Honestly though the idea that clubs need enormous compensation for free agents is ridiculous. It would be necessary if there was no salary cap, or if clubs didn’t understand that they can give players different contracts to avoid them leaving at the worst time, or simply bring someone else in instead.

It may have been necessary in the short term to stop the first few clubs who were on the wrong end getting completely stuffed, but teams have adapted now and it should basically be scrapped and clubs should be getting much less in return.

Got a funny feeling RGray may return to Vic at the end of next year.

Not that I want it to happen!!

Anyway this could be part of a way we improve our draft position to secure one of the guns from SA.

I pick Lukosius.
If Robbie does leave I'm not sure he would get us the pick(s) we need to get a Lukosius or Rankine... both will go top 4. I actually think there is only one player who could net us the picks required but he has been touted as our future captain....

Got a funny feeling RGray may return to Vic at the end of next year.

Not that I want it to happen!!

Anyway this could be part of a way we improve our draft position to secure one of the guns from SA.

I pick Lukosius.

We will eventually get them. 2022 is not that far, anyway.

#DestinationClub ;-)

If Robbie does leave I'm not sure he would get us the pick(s) we need to get a Lukosius or Rankine... both will go top 4. I actually think there is only one player who could net us the picks required but he has been touted as our future captain....
Some over inflation of picks here. If Wingard was on the open market and we had a top 3 pick, I’d take the known multiple AA player, with 7-10 years left, over speculation.

We have a number of players that right now would easily net us a top 5 pick, god even the number 1 pick from teams. You just have to look at what Lachie Weller just got Freo.

Robbie Gray
Paddy Ryder
Charlie Dixon
Ollie Wines
Chad Wingard

Chad and Ollie you could be asking for 2 top 5 picks and teams would easily pay that. The others not so much due to their age, but easily worthy of 1 top 5 pick.

We have a number of players that right now would easily net us a top 5 pick, god even the number 1 pick from teams. You just have to look at what Lachie Weller just got Freo.

Robbie Gray
Paddy Ryder
Charlie Dixon
Ollie Wines
Chad Wingard

Chad and Ollie you could be asking for 2 top 5 picks and teams would easily pay that. The others not so much due to their age, but easily worthy of 1 top 5 pick.
The Weller trade isn't a great reference, most people agree that Gold Coast over paid. As bad as it looks to do that it looks even worse to not get a talented young player to their crappy c̶l̶u̶b̶ team after he nominated them.

Back