Training 2018 Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Chayce Jones. Guy in the middle is Jack Bytel. Both academy members training with us like Balta did last year.
I'd say I'd like the latter to be at the club next year but I think we'd be pretty s**t if it were to eventuate

Bytel reminds me of Will Brodie, I'll be suprised if he lasts to our pick but considering Fogarty went outside the top 10 this year it's not impossible
So whats the deal with the academy these kids are in? Do we not have any rights to them at all? If so, whats the point of having them train with us??

So whats the deal with the academy these kids are in? Do we not have any rights to them at all? If so, whats the point of having them train with us??
The players selected in the AFL Academy are considered the best group of players for the their draft, this has been going on for years where some of the players from the academy go to each AFL team to train, Myles Poholke trained with us from the 2016 draft and Noah Balta trained with us from this years draft. It benefits the kids in getting to train with elite players and pick their brains while it gives guys like Dodoro more information on those players to see how they do training at the elite level.

The players selected in the AFL Academy are considered the best group of players for the their draft, this has been going on for years where some of the players from the academy go to each AFL team to train, Myles Poholke trained with us from the 2016 draft and Noah Balta trained with us from this years draft. It benefits the kids in getting to train with elite players and pick their brains while it gives guys like Dodoro more information on those players to see how they do training at the elite level.
Never knew this was a thing. Thanks :thumbsu:

just a bit of a thing I've noticed

lots of the regular preseason pics from other clubs in camp lugging tyres, leaping sand dunes, crawling thru mud and what not

we seem to be doing our pre season with ball in hand, I like it.

does this imply we are honing our team for a tilt at the pointy end? no more bulk athletic training practices off site in swamps - we are learning strategy and skills as we build our base this year?

lots of the regular preseason pics from other clubs in camp lugging tyres, leaping sand dunes, crawling thru mud and what not

does this imply we are honing our team for a tilt at the pointy end? no more bulk athletic training practices off site in swamps - we are learning strategy and skills as we build our base this year?

Maybe they got the tip from some Dee's players & just refused boot camp;)

Or maybe our skills haven't been up to it and they decided we really need to focus on skills under fatigue and under pressure. As long as we're working as hard as we would be on a training camp I've got no issues with it.

Or maybe our skills haven't been up to it and they decided we really need to focus on skills under fatigue and under pressure. As long as we're working as hard as we would be on a training camp I've got no issues with it.

I prefer it.

I reckon you go in stages. The boot camp bs is for younger squads who need to forge bonds and get to know one another (we cover that with our tiwi camp with the new ones)

We could be in stage 2, we know each other, we are ready for a tilt, lets get ball in hand, run like hell and run our plays, all summer.

While we’re at it, whatever happened to those high altitude jaunts in the U.S? Always wondered why most team pro sports ensure pre season training in warm climates, yet here were AFL clubs going to ice cold mountain areas. Simply because Pies has some success one year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just the 1st-4th year players trip up to the Tiwi's and then the upcoming Barwon Heads "bonding/leadership trip", so doesn't seem like the usual pre-season schedule.

If this focus on skills and decision-making under fatigue means no repeat of the Round 14 debacle up in Sydney then I'm all for it :thumbsu:

I prefer it.

I reckon you go in stages. The boot camp bs is for younger squads who need to forge bonds and get to know one another (we cover that with our tiwi camp with the new ones)

We could be in stage 2, we know each other, we are ready for a tilt, lets get ball in hand, run like hell and run our plays, all summer.
As long as we are not in bed with the Dark Army I'm ok with it.

While we’re at it, whatever happened to those high altitude jaunts in the U.S? Always wondered why most team pro sports ensure pre season training in warm climates, yet here were AFL clubs going to ice cold mountain areas. Simply because Pies has some success one year.

From memory; the benefits of altitude training don't really last enough to be still persisting by the time the season starts, and the additional difficulty from heat / humidity creates a similar(ish) increase in training difficulty, whilst being accessible significantly cheaper and closer to home.

So the theory the Pies used was sound, but the practicality of it ongoing is what kind of killed it for the clubs.

From memory; the benefits of altitude training don't really last enough to be still persisting by the time the season starts, and the additional difficulty from heat / humidity creates a similar(ish) increase in training difficulty, whilst being accessible significantly cheaper and closer to home.

So the theory the Pies used was sound, but the practicality of it ongoing is what kind of killed it for the clubs.

that's true, id prefer to do next years training from the lofty heights of the top of the ladder - many benefits up there

From memory boot camp last year had a lot to do with integrating three lists (I.e banned, not banned and 10 or so new recruits) and the coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back