Training Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Unlucky Saint Hugh Goddard to put best foot forward and reclaim defensive post
  • Peter Ryan

St Kilda defender Hugh Goddard is up for the fight to win a key defensive post in the Saints' back line.

Having overcome a ruptured Achilles that sidelined him for a season, the 21-year-old was on the verge of returning to senior football in June when he hurt ligaments in his toe.

1513908119506.jpg

St Kilda's Hugh Goddard has enjoyed a hassle-free pre-season so far. Photo: AAP
Surgery followed and a frustrated Goddard missed the second half of last season, the three years between being selection 21 in the 2014 national draft and today passing like wildfire.

In the short time the young key defender has been at the club, the Saints have kept bolstering their back line, recruiting Jake Carlisle, Nathan Brown and, in the trade period, Logan Austin, after making an unsuccessful play for Adam Tomlinson.

It's made Goddard well aware competition for spots is hot but he sees it as healthy for the Saints.

"I believe in myself, as everyone else would ... that is what we're here for," Goddard said.

"As cliched as it is you have to put your best foot forward to be able to put yourself in the best position to claim a spot."

Despite his injury troubles, Goddard described his mindset as "optimistic" after entering his first pre-season for three years able to participate from day one.

Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

He had quickly overcome the initial frustration when he was told his toe injury was worse than first thought and now claims the experience taught him something about himself.

"I learnt how important footy is for me and I have grown as a person in terms of being more part of the club," Goddard said.

That connection each person has with others is an aspect the Saints are driving through the off-season as all teams take note of the tight bond Richmond created on the way to a premiership.

The Saints have faith their young group that includes Jack Billings, Paddy McCartin, Blake Acres, Josh Battle, Jade Gresham, Luke Dunstan and Jack Steele can push the team up the ladder now that their veterans Nick Riewoldt and Leigh Montagna have retired.

1511594065304.png

St Kilda's prized 2017 draft selections Hunter Clark (left) and Nicholas Coffield. Photo: AAP

They also recruited two top-10 picks in Hunter Clark and Nick Coffield via the national draft and added rangy intercept defender Oscar Clavarino and midfielder Ben Paton with later picks.

It means a new era has arrived at St Kilda.

"It's up to us to drive the club," Goddard said.

"It's about us starting to drive [each other] and the older guys maintaining it and pushing us as well."

Jarryn Geary will flourish as skipper in 2018
  • Peter Ryan

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson expects Jarryn Geary to flourish in his second year as captain as the importance of his leadership grows following the retirements of Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna and Sean Dempster.

The Saints' coach spent the first week of the pre-season in Darwin with the leadership group including Geary, Seb Ross, Josh Bruce and Dylan Roberton as well as local youngster Ben Long to train and discuss some of the values the club should adhere to in 2018

He said it was a great platform for the players to launch their pre-season.

Although the Saints are yet to officially elect their leadership group for 2018, Richardson has little doubt Geary will once again be captain
1513910411766.jpg

Saints coach Alan Richardson says skipper Jarryn Geary will flourish as the club's leader. Photo: Pat Scala
"That would certainly be my want," Richardson told the Saints' website's Inside St Kilda podcast.

Although the 29-year-old performed well, Richardson said it would have been natural for Geary to hold himself back a little in his first year in the job with Riewoldt and Montagna still at the club.

He said that "now he is the man" he thought Geary would be even better.

"He's an impressive person and we're rapt he's our skipper."

Richardson spent time in the off-season with the All Blacks in New Zealand ahead of a test against South Africa before walking the Kokoda Trail with his family.

He then headed to Darwin when the senior players returned to pre-season in an attempt to set the tone for what looms as a season of high expectations for the Saints.

"There is a bit of a line in the sand moment, with these great players having moved on ... how do we want our footy club to look and what does it mean to play for the Saints?" Richardson said.

"That was brilliant to be able to get away and have those conversations."

Just a query
I believe battle will make it and looks like a natural forward
Does anyone think we can field a side with Mc cartin , Bruce, membery & battle. If so , how would it be structured? It's a good problem to have I guess . Could we offload one of them at seasons end ?
A good forward is worth a fortune on the trade table.

Maybe Marshall too, but i think we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit.
I would be amazed and delighted if we are in a position to offload one of them at seasons end.

Is there another Moore at Collingwood because Darcy Moore is 199 cm's and 95kg's.

But your other point is right - Moore's major problem is the Collingwood selectors. Expecting raw 20 yo to be your main (and only key forward) is nonsensical.

I don’t mean Moore’s too small , I just mean at this stage of his career he could do with not being in the key defender each week .

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

Here's one from left field - The GOAT as our second ruck?

Most people here want Blake to spend more time on ball and bemoan Bruce's lack of effectiveness in the ruck. Worked a treat for the Tigers with Grigg who is listed as 1cm shorter and 2kg lighter than Blake.

Would allow Bruce to stay forward and not be absolutely gassed all the time and give us more mobility around stoppages and in general play. Swing Gresh or Billings from the forward line onto a wing to replace Blake instead of Bruce into the ruck.

Thoughts? Or am I playing AFL Evolution here?

Most people here want Blake to spend more time on ball and bemoan Bruce's lack of effectiveness in the ruck. Worked a treat for the Tigers with Grigg who is listed as 1cm shorter and 2kg lighter than Blake.

Would allow Bruce to stay forward and not be absolutely gassed all the time and give us more mobility around stoppages and in general play. Swing Gresh or Billings from the forward line onto a wing to replace Blake instead of Bruce into the ruck.

Actually think Bruce may end up filling the Roo role of rolling back into defence when we are under pressure. Gilbo to play 2nd ruck.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Why would you treat a Rolls-Royce like that?

Put Nick Coffield as a second ruck ;)

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah true mate let's continue to rotate the Rolls off the pine and half forward ;)

I'm not necessary advocating it. I'm just saying we could do worse.
Lol as the younger players naturally progress and build a tank they'll play more midfield time. Gresham & Billings to name a couple.

Put Gilbert in there, he's more than serviceable and allows Blake to play proper midfield minutes.

We need more of this through the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back