Universal Love Most Exciting/Happiest Time as a Geelong Supporter

Which was your favourite Grand Final win?

• 2011 Collingwood

• 2009 St Kilda

• 2007 Port Adelaide

• 1963 Hawthorn

• 1952 Collingwood

• 1951 Essendon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not just bias, it’s ignorance. A counterbalancing factor to bias is that by watching more Geelong games Geelong people collect more information on which to base judgement.
Fair point. Biased but more experienced views versus less observation and mostly neutral views. Both views have merit.

In 1989 when we had lost the 2 close ones in a row at Princes Park against Fitzroy and Hawthorn after being miles in front, we came out and won by about 15 goals the next 3 weeks. Then we rolled good sides like Melbourne, Collingwood and Essendon on the G and for the first time in my life i thought, we can really win this.

On reflection the entire 1989 season was just magnificent except for the obvious at the very end.
Yes 89 was fantastic ride

Even the disappointment of the GF loss was tempered by how great the game was and the (naive) belief we were on cusp of winning multiple flags

Yes 89 was fantastic ride

Even the disappointment of the GF loss was tempered by how great the game was and the (naive) belief we were on cusp of winning multiple flags
it wasnt naive. Over the next 5 seasons we were arguably the strongest side for the period on average. Its just we stuffed up a lot of chances with dodgy decisions combined with bad luck in who we came up against in grand finals. If we faced the 2007 port adelaide side in the grand final in either 1992 or 1995 we would of smashed them back then as well.

It wasnt naive like western bulldogs last year who thought they were now the powerhouse side of the comp.

it wasnt naive. Over the next 5 seasons we were arguably the strongest side for the period on average. Its just we stuffed up a lot of chances with dodgy decisions combined with bad luck in who we came up against in grand finals. If we faced the 2007 port adelaide side in the grand final in either 1992 or 1995 we would of smashed them back then as well.

It wasnt naive like western bulldogs last year who thought they were now the powerhouse side of the comp.
True but i was thinking more the next year we could just turn up and win.

That 1990 year was there for the taking yet from memory we didnt even make finals

Can't recall why went off the rails then

True but i was thinking more the next year we could just turn up and win.

That 1990 year was there for the taking yet from memory we didnt even make finals

Can't recall why went off the rails then
Thats true on 1990 but we were devastated by injury that year. We did become a very good side. 1989 wasnt a flash in the pan.

Can you see Footscray rebounding back up this year?

Not forgetting the teams we met in following GF's.....pumped up WCE players and salary cap cheats at Carlton....

Not forgetting the teams we met in following GF's.....pumped up WCE players and salary cap cheats at Carlton....

Remember the indignant outrage when the likes of Akermanis and ? (Swans player) blatantly said the AFL had been corrupted by drugs?

They were castigated and mocked ruthlessly by an idealogical and ignorant belief that our sport was too pure for such cheating. No wonder people don’t speak up.

And how naive have footy supporters been?

That Q2 mark Bartel took in the D50, which resulted in Corey kicking a goal! Then Q4 mark by Gardiner, resulted in Harry being stretchered off after that contest + won the game for the Saints. Chapman had 40 possessions lol One of the best H&A games ever! Great choice daz.

Greatest H&A game ever witnessed. I will watch over & over again when on Foxtel...... and we lost!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep that eagles side and the blues of 95 were easily the two best sides of the entire decade.

Was it 95 when Matera took us apart? I was at that GF and I was high at half time and depressed from then on. He was awesome that day, as were a few others. I cant remember if Matera won the Norm Smith, but he should have....

1992. Blight’s biggest blunder.
\
Yes, yes of course.

One of the most miserable second halves of football I have sat through...particularly so as it was a GF.

The Carlton GF defeat was miserable from the beginning.

Was it 95 when Matera took us apart? I was at that GF and I was high at half time and depressed from then on. He was awesome that day, as were a few others. I cant remember if Matera won the Norm Smith, but he should have....
1992 was the year. we decided to put bairstow on him who was injured after being literally kicked by a horse the week before. That sums up the comedy of our grand finals.

Bloody hell - first I'd heard of that :eek:
yep it was comedy time. the council put sand all over kardinia park in the week before the grand final to prepare the ground for the cricket season. yep in the week before a granny the council was more concerned about the cricket season. Blight decided to train on it rather then go across to the training oval. Numerous geelong players have said on camera that their legs felt like cement on grand final day as a result of training on the sand.

Remember the indignant outrage when the likes of Akermanis and ? (Swans player) blatantly said the AFL had been corrupted by drugs?

They were castigated and mocked ruthlessly by an idealogical and ignorant belief that our sport was too pure for such cheating. No wonder people don’t speak up.

And how naive have footy supporters been?

Dale Lewis?

Still to this day features my most vivid memory of Corey.

Even though Bartel only kicked a point, it's right up there with Tomahawk's 'The Moment'

Also, if you notice he's the one who hack kicked it out of the centre, then got the ball back.
God I miss Smithy in our team so much.
I miss Kelli Underwood's commentary ;):p

To call Dangerfield an awful kick remains a spectacularly bad take. He occasionally shanks, but is largely an excellent kick and most of his technique is superb. You don't kick 45 goals in a season as a midfielder with awful kicking technique.
Dangerfield kicked 45 Goals + 32 Behinds
Tomahawk kicked 51 Goals + 26 Behinds
Menzel kicked 40 Goals + 16 Behinds

Dangerfield can be inaccurate, but with all of his skills, he's a sensational player.

Disposals:
Dangerfield 718
Duncan 698
Tuohy 615
Selwood 536
Menegoala 527

Kicks:
Tuohy 375
Duncan 344
Dangerfield 324

Handballs:
Dangerfield 394