Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the best argument unplugged.
Firstly you are comparing criminal offences with a traffic offence.
Secondly if we do accept your argument at what point do we decide the club has a right to intervene.
Swearing in public? Should the club get involved?
Mowing the law very early in the morning or late at night? Should the club get involved?
Downloading torrents, which is theft..a serious crime. Should the club get involved?

You see this is the problem. It's too subjective.
The club should deal with its duty and leave policing to the police.

Traffic offence is a very light way of putting it.

My point was that drugs and fighting can be lethal, none moreso than drink driving. Drink driving is like playing Russian Roulette with not only yourself but every other unsuspecting road user.

Using torrents, etc. whilst illegal and a "serious criminal offence" are hardly going to kill anyone.

I only copped the cane for such disruption to the class...6 of the best.
Had a teacher at school
I don’t get Tony Shaw.

He’s always sniping away.

It’s like he’s got relevance deprivation syndrome.

That and he’s a big try hard.
lets face it after Ray Shaw it's been a downward trend from that family.

Is it ok to laugh at that? Apologies if not because I did.
You’re a good sport Critical. It was humourous because I thought I remembered reading the other day that you’re a surgeon, so I’m assuming you’ve actually done quite a bit of reading in your time.

Can’t help but think how Roosy or Woosha or even Mick would have looked out for Jordan.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I am not so sure about these guys being more capable of looking out for De Goey, but I don't have a lot of faith in Buckley being an effective mentor to someone like him. We should have drafted someone better fitted to the Buckley mould. If all these accounts of De Goey's lack of commitment and being shopped around to other clubs have substance, then our recruiters ****ed up this selection.

Because of the spotlight it's focused on player commitment and recruitment criteria, this incident has done neither De Goey nor the club any favours. Hopefully he will soon at least pretend to be truly repentant so that he can play enough AFL footy to compile a decent highlights' reel, not to mention inflate the hopes of supporters.

Rightly APRHA won't care about DUI offences. They don't want to test us out of work for illicit drugs.

They see their role rightly as one of care in the workplace. They want to know of we have a drug or alcohol problems that affects our ability to work. If we are reported or self report a chain of action occurs. It based on keeping our workplace safe from our problems and caring, educating and rehabilitating.

They don't try to take a punitive approach. They keep these issues anonymous. They try to help their members get back to being safe effective healthy workers.

I don't see this happening here. This kid will be under enormous mental strain now. He will feel unsupported. He will be taken away from his work support situation. He is seen by the community as a bad person. He is seen in need of medically supervised rehab which seems out of kilter with his offence.

In many ways it's the polar opposite to the approach APRHA would take for a situation much less serious than those APRA deal with.

Except I think the club has tried to deal with this in a supportive way behind closed doors. I would be very suprised if that hadnt been happening over the last 12 months since his last indiscretion.
Also the comments from Goldsack very clearly state that it was affecting his performance at work (if you include "training" as his work).

AHPRA also gets to a point where it becomes punitive, legislated, and public. Outcomes (when suspension or deregistration occurs) are published on their website, and in some specific cases are distributed more widely to other stakeholders involved, or if there is a public nature of the person or of the offence.

I dont see why you cant accept the public nature of Jordans job (and his employer), the public nature of these two indiscretions, and the link with publicly reported consequences?

In the end I dont give a s**t about the club brand, trade value, or any of that other s**t. Whatever is going to get JDG flying right and delivering great footy while not ******* the rest of the club is ok with me, I just dont ******* know what that is, and frankly the impression I get from today is the club dont ******* know either.

The impression I got from the club’s response today is that they calibrated it with the specific intent of getting the best out of JDG.

Let’s see at the end of the year how well they did.

Yet most on here would then go the club for not informing the supporters and being transparent about what happened.
Oh by the way there are a few workplaces that would say don’t turn up tomorrow, you cannot drive, no job sorry.

Which jobs would they be? Jobs that require employees to drive? Don’t think an AFL player needs a licence to play footy.

It’s a traffic offence. Not a criminal offence. Now, DUI ain’t the best look - and the associated risks with causing accidents and deaths aren’t smart decision making either - but I will say this in defence of Degoey.

1. He drove the day after he hit the piss, not the night of. The risk of injury to other people, and himself were not that of a person driving home at 2am completely wasted. By all accounts, he miscalculated whether he was ok to drive the night after being on the piss. And I think that is a hugely different scenario than if he drove home on the same night he got on it.

2. No one else was in the car with him. He didn’t endanger any passengers by driving under the influence. In comparison to the Wellingham DUI, who had Buddy Franklin and Taylor as passengers, and Wellers blew 0.13 as well. Wellers got a $5k fine, no suspension (that I’m aware of) and he also cost us a $500k a year sponsorship.

Which jobs would they be? Jobs that require employees to drive? Don’t think an AFL player needs a licence to play footy.

It’s a traffic offence. Not a criminal offence. Now, DUI ain’t the best look - and the associated risks with causing accidents and deaths aren’t smart decision making either - but I will say this in defence of Degoey.

1. He drove the day after he hit the piss, not the night of. The risk of injury to other people, and himself were not that of a person driving home at 2am completely wasted. By all accounts, he miscalculated whether he was ok to drive the night after being on the piss. And I think that is a hugely different scenario than if he drove home on the same night he got on it.

2. No one else was in the car with him. He didn’t endanger any passengers by driving under the influence. In comparison to the Wellingham DUI, who had Buddy Franklin and Taylor as passengers, and Wellers blew 0.13 as well. Wellers got a $5k fine, no suspension (that I’m aware of) and he also cost us a $500k a year sponsorship.
He was breath tested on Saturday night.

You've clearly had noone you love killed by a drunk driver... Don't be a knob!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol at the people slamming the club for being 'too harsh'...to put it into nicer words.

Clearly have no idea of how the corporate world works, and footy clubs are businesses/brands who have an image and standards to uphold. You are still stuck in the 'boys will be boys' era mindset that doesn't seem to think drink driving is a big deal.

How you can be angry at anyone but De Goey in this situation is beyond me. The guy ****ed up (again) and left the club with no choice but to come down hard on him since this isn't an isolated incident...he ****ed up last year too and consistent reports that he's late to training, doesn't give 100% etc.

What absolute garbage. You may as well come out and say you support drink driving. Get your facts straight first.

Except I think the club has tried to deal with this in a supportive way behind closed doors. I would be very suprised if that hadnt been happening over the last 12 months since his last indiscretion.
Also the comments from Goldsack very clearly state that it was affecting his performance at work (if you include "training" as his work).

AHPRA also gets to a point where it becomes punitive, legislated, and public. Outcomes (when suspension or deregistration occurs) are published on their website, and in some specific cases are distributed more widely to other stakeholders involved, or if there is a public nature of the person or of the offence.

I dont see why you cant accept the public nature of Jordans job (and his employer), the public nature of these two indiscretions, and the link with publicly reported consequences?

Really, you are going to equate Collingwood footy club deciding to hand out massively excessive sanctions to a 21 yo guilty of DUI even where they are not the body that primarily deals with this offence compared to APRHA becoming punitive where a Practitioner goes off track in their work environment becoming a hazard to themselves and patients.

APRHA are rightly pursuing problems that they are meant to deal with. They would be negligent not to act. Collingwood has no official need to be involved here.

Compare the offences. APRHA might be dealing with a practitioner who is writing false prescriptions for narcotics to feed a drug habit, that's the level of offence where punitive action comes out. Yet you want Collingwood to be extra punitive because De Goey isn't professional enough. Isn't A grade when it comes to effort off the track, has been late for a meeting, likes to party on his own time etc etc.

They just are not the same offences. APRHA just wouldn't take this approach.

Anyone saying JDG shouldn't be punished by the Club because it's a police issue. What would you think if he went out and dealt ice? Or went around fighting people on the street?

Oh nah, police issue. Can't suspend him from playing sport!
Doing ice and injuring himself in fights hurts his ability to perform at footy, so it it a footy issue.

He wasn't from this and he didn't lie to the club so it's a police/issue. I don't mind the club giving him some incentives to not do this again but what happened was overkill.

Really don’t care if he needs a license or not. It was a comment that rebuttal the argument that no would lose there job anywhere for this which is crap.
There are many jobs, not just driving jobs, especially in country areas that require you to start work anywhere, like trades
He was booked the same day as he was drinking not next day.
Don’t care what time of day, night, no one in the car or very few people about, it is illegal and bloody stupid of him to do so. He was very lucky That there was no accident of any kind.
Zero is zero alcohol, nil not 0.093 for a p/ plate driver even my son can understand thatand his mates as well, he likes to have a drink at times, but never has had a drink why’ll driving.there has always been one that does not drink at all. There no excuses, none.
This bloke is a man, not a kid, time to start treating him like one
You post is defending a drink driver, like it is nothing, you need to grow up yourself, there are reason why it it illegal to drink and drive. People do die.

Last edited:
It’s a traffic offence. Not a criminal offence.

This is not a simple traffic offence. It should be considered closer to a criminal offence.

Some idiot not in change of his faculties is steering a hulk of steel around the streets at 60km+ with a capability to cause serious injury and death.

This is no basic traffic offence. It is appalling behaviour that deserves a harsh reaction from the club.

According to The Age, it was De Goey’s idea to be banned indefinitely from playing, and to abstain from booze for the rest of the season.
If so, good.

He’s now starting to let the light float into that brain of his.

Good. One step in right direction.

Fingers crossed it’s the making of him.

According to The Age, it was De Goey’s idea to be banned indefinitely from playing, and to abstain from booze for the rest of the season.
His or his mangers idea. More likely his manger, smart move never the less

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back