Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are you or Collingwood to make such a judgement. My mates from my school days are still a big glue in my life, had plenty of good times , done stupid and wise things. You would know nothing of how strong and significant the bonds that tie these young men together are.

Is your job representing the biggest and most talked about sporting club in the country?

Is your job representing the biggest and most talked about sporting club in the country?
Why is that relevent. Because Collingwood is a big footy club they should be able to control their players friends?

I think there should be something uniform across the board. Sick of the double standards.. hodge gets a slap on the wrist.. De Goey cops handcuffs on em.

Perhaps the AFL whether it qualifies in their jurisprudence or jurisdiction and gameinshafts and gazzelshafts or some s**t should have one law for all.. that every club agrees on.. then this discussion will not be had.

Yep it's a crime to drink drive.. but when you have idiots like Maher on the radio crucifying the kid that's just BS. We're taking worse case scenarios here maher?? Ok for all of those caught speeding.. you know you could have killed someone.. we're all guilty of that.

If you're going to post 'FYI', then you should probably accompany it with a bit more information. I've paraphrased Walsh, so why is it 'crap'?

I knew I wouldn’t get that one right and was conscious of it as I posted it though I thought highlighting it would help. Your interpretation was fine it’s Walsh’s comment that I’m at odds with :thumbsu:

It’s crap because a guy like Adams, a member of the leadership group, had as many issues as JDG at the same age. JT was busted for performance enhancing drug use and admitted to using illicit substances. Howe broke a finger “playing frisbee with his dog”. Jarryd Blair and the “shocker”. They’re just some of the ones we know of I assure you if it was appropriate for me to present other issues I would. Once you start effing up off the field you lose the right to pull that respect card, IMO.

That’s before we even consider that there’d be blokes within the group that would simply say “who cares he ****ed up get over it”. Footy teams are just like our board with diverse opinions and there’s no way he’s lost the respect of the group.

I’m going to assume the truth is they still respect him and will welcome him back, but Walsh shouldn’t be pissing down our backs and telling us it’s raining.

I knew I wouldn’t get that one right and was conscious of it as I posted it though I thought highlighting it would help. Your interpretation was fine it’s Walsh’s comment that I’m at odds with :thumbsu:

It’s crap because a guy like Adams, a member of the leadership group, had as many issues as JDG at the same age. JT was busted for performance enhancing drug use and admitted to using illicit substances. Howe broke a finger “playing frisbee with his dog”. Jarryd Blair and the “shocker”. They’re just some of the ones we know of I assure you if it was appropriate for me to present other issues I would. Once you start effing up off the field you lose the right to pull that respect card, IMO.

That’s before we even consider that there’d be blokes within the group that would simply say “who cares he ****** up get over it”. Footy teams are just like our board with diverse opinions and there’s no way he’s lost the respect of the group.

I’m going to assume the truth is they still respect him and will welcome him back, but Walsh shouldn’t be pissing down our backs and telling us it’s raining.

Firstly i think the punishment is too hard so lets get that out of the way.

However, are you saying i have no right to parent, advise and set rules for my kids because i stuffed up at their age?

What better people than some that have been in that place and made their way through it to be involved in a way forward for Jordan.

I reference to other posts about being told who he can be friends with. What's new. They are told what they can eat, how much they should weigh, how fit they should be, when they can drink, curfews etc, etc. No player has to abide by these things but then they also can not be an afl footballer.

I had some dodgy mates when i was younger and had a choice to make. Elite sport or friends. I sometimes miss what could have been when watching sport but only till the next time i drink with my mate, the new father, or drink with another mate at his fathers wake or just have a great night out.
Jordan has a choice, manage his friends better or find a different career. I have no problem with the club putting that on him. He is an afl footballer, with that comes sacrifice or find something else to do.

Which jobs would they be? Jobs that require employees to drive? Don’t think an AFL player needs a licence to play footy.

It’s a traffic offence. Not a criminal offence. Now, DUI ain’t the best look - and the associated risks with causing accidents and deaths aren’t smart decision making either - but I will say this in defence of Degoey.

1. He drove the day after he hit the piss, not the night of. The risk of injury to other people, and himself were not that of a person driving home at 2am completely wasted. By all accounts, he miscalculated whether he was ok to drive the night after being on the piss. And I think that is a hugely different scenario than if he drove home on the same night he got on it.

2. No one else was in the car with him. He didn’t endanger any passengers by driving under the influence. In comparison to the Wellingham DUI, who had Buddy Franklin and Taylor as passengers, and Wellers blew 0.13 as well. Wellers got a $5k fine, no suspension (that I’m aware of) and he also cost us a $500k a year sponsorship.

He got done at 8:30pm Sat night after being on the piss all day.

It's not the people in the car, it's harming people in other cars or hitting pedestrians on the street that is the issue.

That’s before we even consider that there’d be blokes within the group that would simply say “who cares he ****** up get over it”. Footy teams are just like our board with diverse opinions and there’s no way he’s lost the respect of the group.

I appreciate the more detailed response. In time you might even be as long-winded as me, but you've got some way to go.

I think you're right about JDG not having lost the respect of his teammates in a fundamental way, and I also agree that he will be welcomed back upon his return. As you point out, footy teams are filled with diverse characters and there are always a number of colourful types among them. Given some of the hysterical garbage being peddled in the media about JDG, which doesn't seem to have a problem with casting him as Hannibal Lector, I hope they'll sit down and have some sort of laugh about it all with him (in a really, really sober way).

My sense, though, is that the issues with JDG are troubling more than a few people at the club. Maybe this has little or nothing to do with the word 'respect', and maybe Walsh hasn't communicated the point directly enough, but my impression is that people at the club --including a fair proportion of his teammates-- don't think that JDG is buying into what is required in professional footy as much he needs to. Perhaps the word Walsh was after is more about trust than 'respect', but there's definitely a sense that his problems extend beyond one isolated incident, and that his contribution to the team is being compromised by his decision-making.

Yeah I am loving that one. The extra "sins" are clearly really serious. If he didn't do DUI on the weekend there would be no punishment currently. You can't tell me his other transgressions were so finely balanced that they either needed no sanction or once he did something outside the club the sanctions went to turbo power. Seems incredible t me.

The 20k he is losing. Don't be telling me the 10k to charity was his idea. In the unlikely event it was his idea the club should have been responsible enough to say come on Jordan, the punishment is already massive you don't need to do that. No. We get the club "acknowledges and supports that". They should have added "and we think you the viewer wil enjoy that little bit of extra self flagellation".

This kid isn't so rich that he should be glibly made to pay so much for a poor attitude or whatever his transgression is. The $20k, the what 2,4,6 or whatever weeks of match payements. The extra 4 weeks minimum of work elsewhere, giving up further time for "charity" etc etc.

What the hell did he do to justify this, it would need to be in the realms of illegality to justify the approach. He better have manifestly and obviously breached his contractual obligations to the club.

I did love the one where he agrees to see medical professionals to improve his decision making. WTF. Does anyone really believe they can do that. Such a nanny state piss weak approach.

If you can't tell I am really over Collingwoods attitude here.

Can’t say I agree with all the sentiments but love the rage haha. Unfortunately we don’t have the whole story so it’s a bit hard to judge based on hidden potential prior indiscretions which is what the justification of this punishment rests on.

Firstly i think the punishment is too hard so lets get that out of the way.

However, are you saying i have no right to parent, advise and set rules for my kids because i stuffed up at their age?

What better people than some that have been in that place and made their way through it to be involved in a way forward for Jordan.

I reference to other posts about being told who he can be friends with. What's new. They are told what they can eat, how much they should weigh, how fit they should be, when they can drink, curfews etc, etc. No player has to abide by these things but then they also can not be an afl footballer.

I had some dodgy mates when i was younger and had a choice to make. Elite sport or friends. I sometimes miss what could have been when watching sport but only till the next time i drink with my mate, the new father, or drink with another mate at his fathers wake or just have a great night out.
Jordan has a choice, manage his friends better or find a different career. I have no problem with the club putting that on him. He is an afl footballer, with that comes sacrifice or find something else to do.

No, in this particular instance the parents would be the coaching group and your kids friends are JDG’s teammates.

You can advise your children as you see fit just as Walsh, Bucks and co have, but you’re hardly going to announce to the world at large that your kids have lost the respect of their friends are you?

Or let’s say your analogy is correct they don’t lose the right to meter out punishment and advise because of past misdemeanours, but rather talk of respect lost isn’t appropriate. That helps no one, IMO.

Last edited:
Interesting article, (ironically) written by Jon Anderson...

Delve a little deeper into the shattered world of Jordan De Goey and you will find a young man both likeable and simplistic.

I don’t know De Goey well but spoke with him on a half dozen occasions in 2014-2015, in the first instance when he was a student and star footballer at St Kevin’s College and later when interviewing him at the school best and fairest when he returned as guest speaker.
On every meeting he was polite, prone to natural cheekiness, loyal and in his own description, far more of a footballer than scholar. Since concentrating on Australian Rules after playing rugby union for his first few years of senior school, his progress was such that the lad known as “Googs” was always a chance to be drafted high in 2014.

Away from the prying eyes of adults, and indeed club officials, he is the type of young man who will be pushing the boundaries on a footy trip. Fun loving? Definitely. Silly? Sometimes. Malicious? Never.
Rod Grinter, 52, who knows the pitfalls of the AFL system after 134 games with Melbourne between 1985-95, has for the past 19 years been involved on the senior coaching panel with St Kevin’s in the highly-rated APS system which De Goey flourished in between 2013-2014.
“He came across to me as easy going and good to coach because he was willing to learn. And yes, he was a bit of a lad which has surfaced publicly over the past two years but we had absolutely no issues with him during 2013-14. In fact he was absolutely fantastic,” said Grinter.“I found it interesting to hear that his issues supposedly stem from remaining mates with his old school friends. To say it doesn’t speak highly of his mates and that they shouldn’t have let him drive is drawing a very long bow.

“The boys I know that Jordan remains friendly with are good, upstanding citizens who would actually be looking out for him right now when he lives through a very public punishment.”
Some of those same friends were surprised when their mate went the way of several Collingwood teammates by continually adding tattoos to various parts of his body.
It’s a fashion trend very few of them have chosen, and one more in keeping with the AFL world than that of St Kevin’s old boys plying their trade in A section of the VAFA.

And that world where you pay to play is well removed from one that recently saw De Goey pay over $1 million for an inner-city abode. How much he wants to remain part of that world will play out over the next two years.

Those who know him are hopeful the penny will finally drop although his very nature, and inability to always make the right decisions, may see “Googs” become one of many who Coodabeen a champion.

PS: Before the internet police come after me, I didn't post the whole article - I deleted the pictures.:)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/b6b282f2093f76f27bce676475738696

I think that a football club's concerns can be legitimate in this regard, if a player is consorting with high-profile criminals etc. Beyond that, it does seem a bit harsh to try and isolate a player from mates he's known for years, and it would probably be counter-productive as well.

In this case I don't think that the club is trying to banish JDG's mates, despite the reference to 'associations'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMG_0440.JPG
It'd be silly to draw conclusions from a moment frozen in time, but I'm gonna do it anyway! JDG might have just dropped a nasty larger bomb, or maybe the photographer is 20 mins late, or making them say poxy things to cue smiles, but another interpretation is that Crispy and Big Cox ain't digging JDG playing with Peter Moore's hair. And Peter is more than filthy about it. Tommy thinks it's relatively amusing though, and/or he falls into the 'not outraged' part of the squad. Again, quite silly to read into this image, but it doesn't look like Disneyland in that shot.

I appreciate the more detailed response. In time you might even be as long-winded as me, but you've got some way to go.

I think you're right about JDG not having lost the respect of his teammates in a fundamental way, and I also agree that he will be welcomed back upon his return. As you point out, footy teams are filled with diverse characters and there are always a number of colourful types among them. Given some of the hysterical garbage being peddled in the media about JDG, which doesn't seem to have a problem with casting him as Hannibal Lector, I hope they'll sit down and have some sort of laugh about it all with him (in a really, really sober way).

My sense, though, is that the issues with JDG are troubling more than a few people at the club. Maybe this has little or nothing to do with the word 'respect', and maybe Walsh hasn't communicated the point directly enough, but my impression is that people at the club --including a fair proportion of his teammates-- don't think that JDG is buying into what is required in professional footy as much he needs to. Perhaps the word Walsh was after is more about trust than 'respect', but there's definitely a sense that his problems extend beyond one isolated incident, and that his contribution to the team is being compromised by his decision-making.

Delve a little deeper into the shattered world of Jordan De Goey and you will find a young man both likeable and simplistic.

I don’t know De Goey well but spoke with him on a half dozen occasions in 2014-2015, in the first instance when he was a student and star footballer at St Kevin’s College and later when interviewing him at the school best and fairest when he returned as guest speaker.
On every meeting he was polite, prone to natural cheekiness, loyal and in his own description, far more of a footballer than scholar. Since concentrating on Australian Rules after playing rugby union for his first few years of senior school, his progress was such that the lad known as “Googs” was always a chance to be drafted high in 2014.

Away from the prying eyes of adults, and indeed club officials, he is the type of young man who will be pushing the boundaries on a footy trip. Fun loving? Definitely. Silly? Sometimes. Malicious? Never.
Rod Grinter, 52, who knows the pitfalls of the AFL system after 134 games with Melbourne between 1985-95, has for the past 19 years been involved on the senior coaching panel with St Kevin’s in the highly-rated APS system which De Goey flourished in between 2013-2014.
“He came across to me as easy going and good to coach because he was willing to learn. And yes, he was a bit of a lad which has surfaced publicly over the past two years but we had absolutely no issues with him during 2013-14. In fact he was absolutely fantastic,” said Grinter.“I found it interesting to hear that his issues supposedly stem from remaining mates with his old school friends. To say it doesn’t speak highly of his mates and that they shouldn’t have let him drive is drawing a very long bow.

“The boys I know that Jordan remains friendly with are good, upstanding citizens who would actually be looking out for him right now when he lives through a very public punishment.”
Some of those same friends were surprised when their mate went the way of several Collingwood teammates by continually adding tattoos to various parts of his body.
It’s a fashion trend very few of them have chosen, and one more in keeping with the AFL world than that of St Kevin’s old boys plying their trade in A section of the VAFA.

And that world where you pay to play is well removed from one that recently saw De Goey pay over $1 million for an inner-city abode. How much he wants to remain part of that world will play out over the next two years.

Those who know him are hopeful the penny will finally drop although his very nature, and inability to always make the right decisions, may see “Googs” become one of many who Coodabeen a champion.

PS: Before the internet police come after me, I didn't post the whole article - I deleted the pictures.:)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/b6b282f2093f76f27bce676475738696
Its a good article particularly the quote from Grinter who knows De Goey and his mates.

Collingwood implying they are a poor influence just is a bad look, all the worse when you read what Grinter has to say.

I also like this Jon Anderson article from 2010. .
HERALD Sun sports journalist Jon Anderson will be charged with drink driving and careless driving after smashing into a pizza shop.
Anderson, 53, was arrested by police after the incident at Domino's Pizza in High St, Malvern, about 7.30pm on Wednesday.

Police say the car, a Holden hatchback, was being manoeuvred in a carpark at the rear of the store when it accelerated through a roller door.

The shop was open for business, but no one inside was hurt.

The car dropped about a metre after entering the premises and could not be removed because of the structural damage to the building.

It may take days to remove.

Firefighters and police arrived on the scene within minutes and took Anderson to Malvern Police Station where he allegedly recorded a blood alcohol reading of .139.

His licence was immediately confiscated.

A Stonnington Council building surveyor and health officer have also attended the scene and temporary supports were installed to stabilise damaged brickwork.

Anderson is expected to be charged on summons to appear before a magistrate.

He faces losing his licence for at least 12 months and a significant fine.

Anderson, who has covered sport for the Herald Sun for more than 30 years, is also a regular on 3AW's Breakfast - Melbourne's top rating radio show.

He has written and edited several sports books on football and cricketing stars such as Gary Ablett Sr, Brian Taylor and Rodney Hogg.

View attachment 461609
It'd be silly to draw conclusions from a moment frozen in time, but I'm gonna do it anyway! JDG might have just dropped a nasty larger bomb, or maybe the photographer is 20 mins late, or making them say poxy things to cue smiles, but another interpretation is that Crispy and Big Cox ain't digging JDG playing with Peter Moore's hair. And Peter is more than filthy about it. Tommy thinks it's relatively amusing though, and/or he falls into the 'not outraged' part of the squad. Again, quite silly to read into this image, but it doesn't look like Disneyland in that shot.

I won't lie, the only conclusion I feel I can draw from that image is that Darcy Moore's hair is truly horrible.

Its a good article particularly the quote from Grinter who knows De Goey and his mates.

Collingwood implying they are a poor influence just is a bad look, all the worse when you read what Grinter has to say.

Honestly GC, I don't think that the club is saying that JDG's mates are s**t; just that JDG needs to improve his decision making when he's around them. There's a difference. The media might not be interested in the difference, but it is there.

No though the mock outrage was interesting.

Parents in this particular instance would be the coaching group and your kids friends are JDG’s teammates.

You can advise your children as you see fit just as Walsh, Bucks and co have, but you’re hardly going to announce to the world at large that your kids have lost the respect of their friends are you?

Or let’s say your analogy is correct they don’t lose the right to meter out punishment and advise because of past misdemeanours, but rather talk of respect lost isn’t appropriate. That helps no one, IMO.

Seriously for a knowledgeable poster you are sometimes just a knob..mock indignation? It takes a certain amount of arrogance and ignorance to label people's opinion in that manner.

There was nothing personal about my response just a conversation. It was neither indignation nor mock. With that as a start, the rest of your post is not worth reading and i will leave you in a way you often do others....if that is what you got out of my post i will leave you too it.

Do we really know about which friends the club is worried about in this. I don’t, it could be a about a new set of friends since. No one knows

Why is that relevent. Because Collingwood is a big footy club they should be able to control their players friends?

Are you telling me you're privy to more info on JDG's behaviour over the past 12 months then the club is?

This drink driving incident is the straw that broke the camels back, a culmination of fcuk ups from a 21yr old male who has the opportunity to turn it all around, if he wants to commit to the life of an AFL player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back