VFL Saints vs Sandringham 11am today Sat. 10th

Remove this Banner Ad

I hadnt paid much attention to Clavarino outside of "another tall defender" but seeing the props on him as an intercept/rebounding defender definitely gets my hopes up. A taller Sam Fisher would solidify our backline for a decade!

Thanks to SaintJunior & Palantine a few of us have favourite players as well as wanting to know how strong our depth is & both your comments have given the the rest of us an idea just how they are tracking. Cheers guys :thumbsu:

I hadnt paid much attention to Clavarino outside of "another tall defender" but seeing the props on him as an intercept/rebounding defender definitely gets my hopes up. A taller Sam Fisher would solidify our backline for a decade!

Must admit it wasn’t until I became his player advocate that I had a real good look at him. Looks like he might have the goods & could be the steal of the draft.

Clavarino's U18 highlights vid is impressive. Looks a natural full back but with a bit of flair. Great mark, good decision-maker, careful disposal to advantage, will take a run. Like.

Clavarino's U18 highlights vid is impressive. Looks a natural full back but with a bit of flair. Great mark, good decision-maker, careful disposal to advantage, will take a run. Like.

Has a wicked handball on him too.

Combined with quick thinking, means he can intercept and dish off past the man on the mark instantly. Just think of the opposite of Brown or Tom Lee, even Dempster. Would be a breath of fresh air having a key defender initiate a fast break confidently.

So Battle kicked a bag did he?

It will be very interesting to see if he can force his way into the side this year. Certainly a lot of competition for spots in his area, but he could cause some serious selection headaches if he starts performing strongly.

So Battle kicked a bag did he?

It will be very interesting to see if he can force his way into the side this year. Certainly a lot of competition for spots in his area, but he could cause some serious selection headaches if he starts performing strongly.

I think he's probably in competition with Membrey for that midsize forward role. Tim hasn't started the year that well, I wonder if there is a little niggle with him?

If Paddy or Bruce go down at least there will be a spot open for Battle to get a chance to show his wares. It's probably a set up more like Richmond with him place of one of the tall forwards.

Logan Austin is the one I was interested in. He apparently requested a trade because he wanted game time yet he looks like back up at the moment.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-19/port-adelaides-austin-powers-off-to-saints

The thing about Austin is he is still only young and the question now is passed over to Richo.
Does he want to play the likes of Brown, Gilbert etc.to hopefully make the eight this year, or get games into the younger players to give the competition a red hot crack next year?

Our taking of Clavarino in the draft still has me very concerned considering we’ve added Goddard, Carlisle, Brown, Austin & now Clavarino, with even Rowan Marshall capable of playing back & Darragh Joyce.

Reading between the lines, I’d say the club believe Goddard is cooked & Brown only 18months left at best.

That really is an obscene number of KPDs on our list. Yet, we as supporters have all been banging on for 3 years that we need some pacy wingers, & we still haven’t recruited any. The mind truly boggles.

Picking up Phillips, Langlands, Paton & Coffield does nothing to ease my mind either because they aren’t even wingman. They are back flankers that we hope will become midfielders.

What I wouldn’t give for a Brayden Fiorini, Callum Ah Chee, Rory Atkins type

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about Austin is he is still only young and the question now is passed over to Richo.
Does he want to play the likes of Brown, Gilbert etc.to hopefully make the eight this year, or get games into the younger players to give the competition a red hot crack next year?

The $64 million question.

Does he feel Mav, Gilbert etc are crucial for us to reach finals? Personally, I don't think they get us there, so I'd far rather see the two C's played more often, with a look at Austin ( who's already played AFL) and some of the others like White etc as well.
We have to start giving some responsibility to the young guys, even if it means missing finals for one more year. They are the future, and playing the borderline players in the seniors just delays their development when they need to start getting senior games into them. Time to start taking some risks with selection.

My 2 cents worth.

Very happy to hear about Battle and Rice going well.

Rice was clearly banging down the door last year and he's likely to be even more ready this year and I reckon has what it takes to make it (if he wants it enough, and is patient enough to wait till Gears retires! :D), and obviously Battle along with Marshall gives us potentially good depth for the key marking roles up forward.

Reckon lots of clubs will be keeping an eye on his progress and contract status.

Also happy to hear that Long did well. Reckon what he does he does well, but obviously he just needs to do it a lot more often.

Last edited:
Any chance of knowing an update on Meatball George ...

further update on Meatballs injury? Hope it's nothing and just precautionary.
Rumour is a month out with a knee.

Our taking of Clavarino in the draft still has me very concerned considering we’ve added Goddard, Carlisle, Brown, Austin & now Clavarino, with even Rowan Marshall capable of playing back & Darragh Joyce.

Reading between the lines, I’d say the club believe Goddard is cooked & Brown only 18months left at best.

That really is an obscene number of KPDs on our list. Yet, we as supporters have all been banging on for 3 years that we need some pacy wingers, & we still haven’t recruited any. The mind truly boggles.

Picking up Phillips, Langlands, Paton & Coffield does nothing to ease my mind either because they aren’t even wingman. They are back flankers that we hope will become midfielders.

I guess it's what's available at those picks. To have got Fiorini would have meant passing on Gresham from memory. I wish last year we had chased someone like Aaron Hall.

We rated Clav really highly apparently, it was a no brainer to take him.
It’s the best drafting method in my opinion, just take the best player at your pick and the other stuff works itself out later on.
Browny may have 18 months left, Hugh is still nothing more than a big question mark and Austin at this stage is a good back up KPD.
Clav is still a long way off physically but investing in an intercepting KPD for the future is a very good move in my opinion.

It’s the best drafting method in my opinion, just take the best player at your pick and the other stuff works itself out later on.
Browny may have 18 months left, Hugh is still nothing more than a big question mark and Austin at this stage is a good back up KPD.
Clav is still a long way off physically but investing in an intercepting KPD for the future is a very good move in my opinion.

I wonder if would have not made the Austin trade if we had of known Clav was going to be there at that pick - I have no problem with landing both as we are now hopefully set down back for the next 20 years

Would we have traded in Austin if we could predict the draft? Maybe, maybe not?
Supporters have been crying out for genuine KPD since Zac Dawson left, now we have 4, with 3 of them being youngsters. I have absolutely no problem in picking a player in the 30’s who can hopefully hold up our back line from 2022 onwards.

I’ve got to say it’s far from the best way of recruiting especially with later picks and taller players. You must take needs otherwise you could end up with many of the same. I am really worried about our recruiting in the last few years. Hopefully last year will be our best for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back