Manchester City
Port Adelaide vs. Fremantle – Adelaide Oval

4.05pm local time (1.35pm WST)

Previous Encounters:

Round 2, 2017, Adelaide Oval: Port Adelaide defeats Fremantle 145-56;

Round 13, 2016, Domain Stadium: Fremantle defeats Port Adelaide 86-69;

Round 23, 2015, Adelaide Oval: Port Adelaide defeats Fremantle 122-53;

Round 1, 2015, Domain Stadium: Fremantle defeats Port Adelaide 75-68;

Semi Final, 2014, Domain Stadium, Fremantle defeated by Port Adelaide 83-105.

Expected Team:

B: Ryan, Hamling, Spurr

HB: Wilson, Pearce, Blakely

C: Hill*, Neale, Hill**

HF: Fyfe, McCarthy, Banfield

F: Ballantyne, Taberner, Matera

Followers: Sandilands, Mundy, Walters

Int: Langdon, Tucker, Kersten, Brayshaw

Emg. Johnson, Hughes, Sutcliffe, Darcy

* If one Hill is not fit, perhaps Sutcliffe will be given the role

** If neither Hill are fit, Hughes perhaps comes in with Blakely moving up the field as well.

Omitted Player Comments:

Bennell: Is an automatic selection when ready to go. Would likely push out Tucker, or Matera. I would absolutely love to see him as a surprise Round 1 selection.

Logue: A month back he was a lock for my Round 1 side; however, he has not played either game vs. West Coast, and seems to have gone out of favour at this stage. Personally, I think while he is an athletic beast, his temperament does not live up to that billing. Needs to up the aggression and improve his disposal.

D. Pearce: Has played every pre-season game, but we have seen more of the same poor decision making / kicking from Daniel. I wouldn’t be playing him in any game this season.

Cox: Not in line for selection, needs to improve intensity and kicking, has excellent marking skill.

Sheridan: Didn’t play JLT2 and unlikely to be in the squad early in the season.

Cerra: Building – expect him to debut by Round 5 or so.

Discussion:

The fact that putting together a best 22 has become rather difficult suggests that Fremantle are doing well. The key emergency that I have listed is Johnson, and I can’t find a way to squeeze him into the side. I don’t think I want him on the bench, either he would be playing a key role, or not at all. The bench I have selected has a lot of run, and I’m fairly happy with the four players there.

Backline:

The Fremantle backline in one season has transitioned remarkably. The return of Pearce and the pickup of Wilson have already shown to have a dramatic impact on the way the club will both defend the incoming ball, and the way in which the team rebounds. Wilson and Ryan are elite kicks, and having them set up the play is going to be beautiful to watch, especially on the dimensions of Optus Stadium. Even Alex Pearce has shown significant improvement in his kicking / run from defence. The form he is in is remarkable for a man who hasn’t played in over a year. Spurr impressed in JLT2, I was initially not expecting him to play; however, he showed he is certainly ready for Round 1.

Midfield:

I honestly think Fremantle have one of the best starting midfields in the competition. The depth isn’t there yet, but we know it is coming in the form of Cerra, Brayshaw and Crowden, who all look like long term prospects. When you have Sandilands tapping the ball down to Fyfe, Mundy, Walters, and Neale, you’re going to win more clearances than not. Add to that the elite run and kicking abilities of the Hill brothers, you’re essentially ticking all the boxes. With the strength of the backline now matching a strong midfield, I expect to see the forward entry differential swing back to at least even in 2018.

Forward:

The forward line is the obvious weakness at Fremantle. It has been largely due to the lack of a key target who can stand their ground. Fortunately, Matt Taberner may finally be ready to take that step up to an acceptable level of consistency. His contested marking is his clear strength, and he would likely lead the league in this category if he played all 22 games. Every supporter wants to see this guy succeed, and he may just be ready to deliver a 50 goal season. With McCarthy playing the lead up role to give him space, and Fyfe / Mundy / Sandilands resting forward, Fremantle should finally have less trouble with defences intercept marking their entries.

With the key forward problem solved, the small forwards will automatically show improvement, as their supply has been limited in recent years due to intercept marking. Ballantyne in particular showed excellent front and centre play in JLT2, so clearly they know where and when they need to be.

Interchange:

I’ve clearly favoured run and carry on the bench, with half forward and midfield cover. My concern is I may be lacking backline cover, so it would not surprise me if Hughes filled one of these spots. Tucker played a very impressive game in JLT2 – his issue has always been getting enough of the ball to justify his selection; if he can get 15-20 touches per game, he would be quite the damaging player.

The Game:

Playing Round 1 against Port Adelaide in Adelaide is a tough ask. Even with the optimistic write-up, I think Fremantle are only an outside chance. Port filled their squad with senior players last trade period, and Watts in particular looks to have found a new lease on life, kicking 6 goals in JLT2. Combined with Dixon, et al, the Fremantle defence will be stretched.

If Fremantle are to win this game, it will be on the back of the midfield winning the clearances, and forward pressure holding it down their end. Even with a strong defence, Port Adelaide possess one of the best forward lines in the competition, and they will kick a winning score if given the opportunity to do so. Port’s midfield is also very strong, combining Ryder, Rockliff, SPP etc. On paper, their midfield likely matches Fremantle’s for potency.

While we always like to see the best players take the park, the unavailability of Grey (suspension), and Pittard (hamstring), weakens their side. Super boot Mckenzie is likely to come in, so it remains to be seen how much of an effect this will have on their squad.

Prediction:

Port Adelaide by 16 points. This game is not a laydown misère as we may have thought a few months back. If Fremantle actually win this game… well I think you all know what the general feeling will be.

I think we will matchup pretty well against Port. No Robbie Gray is big - he is generally one of their best against us cos we don't have anyone who can go with him when he's up forward. We have a midfield that can match theirs, and with Pearce back I think we have someone who can go with Dixon. I don't know if they have anyone who can run with Wilson and Ryan, who are starting to gel together providing us with a legitimate counterattack that has been absent these last couple of years. We are a sneaky chance this game for sure

Should be an interesting match-up. If we get close, then I'll be re-assessing our year.
Rohan Connolly had us coming 2nd last, but after watching a bit yesterday our ball movement is much better.

There is only one side with any pressure on here. Freo is expected to finish bottom four, Port are expected to play finals and drew across all their new talent.

If the Dockers give Port a scare on their home turf it will dent their premiership expectations far more than it will lift our finals chances.

Gray and Wingard usually do exceptionally well against us. We should have their tall forwards covered. With Hamling,Johnson and Pearce all down there. Big Sandi will be dominant. It’s really important we have hill bros out there to get the ball inside 50. Expecting us to put up a pretty good contest. It is the first game of the year and if port are a bit rusty there isn’t any reason we can’t get the job done. If we win it will be only by a narrow margin. Fingers crossed

We ain't going to win, but it is going to be fun watching how much closer we are than round 2 last year.
That day was an utter shocker, I reckon we are a fair bit closer to them now even with all their new trades.

Looking forward to this, Port can get the shakes when pressure is applied to them and subsequently don't work as hard the other way.
Sandilands is the key for me and if we can not let the ball rebound too quickly when we go forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We ain't going to win, but it is going to be fun watching how much closer we are than round 2 last year.
That day was an utter shocker, I reckon we are a fair bit closer to them now even with all their new trades.
Round Two last year was a nightmare, absolutely painful. We don't seem to play well in adelaide, in fact we rarely have historically. Makes it a very hard proposition first up, having said that if we are able to stay within 3 goals it will be a good game. Port can really blow teams away if they get a run on, we need to keep it within 3 or it will be a 40 plus loss imo.

Any complaints that I make this an unofficial preview/banter thread, OP? It's just that Unique Name has first dibs on the "official" Freo board preview as per: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2018-game-previews-no-vacancies.1182537/

And I reckon Pearce is the perfect matchup for Dixon, but as always it's imperative that we pressure them enough to affect the quality of their inside 50s
Oh ok sure. I didn't even know that thread existed, I only looked to see if there was a preview up already, and there wasn't. I tend to visit the boards less from Nov-Jan. What are your thoughts Unique Name? Apologies for inadvertently stealing your thunder...

This will be a very fiesty encounter. Despite a positive pre-season I don't think we will be in the hunt. Unlike some on here I think the Power are in for a good year. Great test first up, and I love the tough start to the season in general. Wish the Hills were locked in.

Oh ok sure. I didn't even know that thread existed, I only looked to see if there was a preview up already, and there wasn't. I tend to visit the boards less from Nov-Jan. What are your thoughts Unique Name? Apologies for inadvertently stealing your thunder...

Fair enough, probably a good reason to keep that thread stickied at the top of the board then.

My go at the team (not saying I agree with picks, just a prediction)

Spurr. Pearce. Johnson
Wilson. Hamling. Ryan
Langdon. Fyfe. Pearce
Tucker. Mccarthy. Walters
Ballas. Taberner. Matera
Sandi. Mundy. Neale
Barnfield. Brayshaw. Blakely. Sutcliffe

Emg. Kirsten. Cerra. Grey

Both hills not selected due to injury

Should have the momentum and right preparation going into this game, although I don't think we'll pull through with a win - especially if both Hills aren't available.

A part of me wants the club to make the necessary personal and positional changes so we can start the year off with a win but I'd prefer to just be competitive, have the exposure and changes made so we can win our first game at Optus Stadium (Which I rate more important)

My go at the team (not saying I agree with picks, just a prediction)

Spurr. Pearce. Johnson
Wilson. Hamling. Ryan
Langdon. Fyfe. Pearce
Tucker. Mccarthy. Walters
Ballas. Taberner. Matera
Sandi. Mundy. Neale
Barnfield. Brayshaw. Blakely. Sutcliffe

Emg. Kirsten. Cerra. Grey

Both hills not selected due to injury

Pretty close to the team we look like picking, though I think Langdon is ahead of a few of the guys in that list. Definitely ahead of Grey and Cerra, possibly ahead of Sutcliffe, Matera and D. Pearce (at least he was last year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back