Unofficial Preview Round 1: Port Adelaide vs. Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does anyone still doubt that all of Spurr, Ballantyne, Johnson and D. Pearce will play round 1?

Only young players will miss selection.
Your right, those guys probably do deserve selection based on the weekend game, and you couldn't really justify preferring Meek, even though he is young. Probably the only realistic option there is D Pearce out if B Hill is available.

But I'm not sure I know what you mean by "still doubt"? It is fairly normal for new players to establish themselves at a lower level and understand there role, yet it looks like we are likely to have 2 debuts. That is double my expectations.

But I'm not sure I know what you mean by "still doubt"? It is fairly normal for new players to establish themselves at a lower level and understand there role, yet it looks like we are likely to have 2 debuts. That is double my expectations.

What i mean is that people have been saying all off season that most of these guys won't play. But there they all are.

What i mean is that people have been saying all off season that most of these guys won't play. But there they all are.

I think most people were saying they hoped they wouldn't be playing and that the positive efforts of the younger brigade might have tempered Rosco's kiddyitis .......... we should have known better really

But there are going to be heaps of changes so it's fine I guess

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spurr locked Liam Ryan out of the game as soon as he sat on him while also offering intercept marking. He was far from our weakest link in the back half.

I like the idea of putting him on Wingard and hoping he can similarly shut him out of the game.

Wingard is a lot more experienced than Liam Ryan

S
Spurr locked Liam Ryan out of the game as soon as he sat on him while also offering intercept marking. He was far from our weakest link in the back half.

I like the idea of putting him on Wingard and hoping he can similarly shut him out of the game.
Sorry but I reckon Spurr will get torched by Wingard.
Wingard has worked him over before and given the match will again.

I wouldn't be expecting big things, you could even tell him that his career is on the line. He doesn't need to touch the ball, just deny his man.

Mostly because I want Luke Ryan working into space rather than taking intercept marks, so he can receive and deliver the next kick.

The game on the weekend showed the value of Ryan at half back, it made a turnover deep inside defensive fifty become a 50/50 or better on the wing, rather than a 50/50 on the defensive flank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah exactly. I mean Betts only kicked 3 on him last time, 6 the time before, and 4 the time before that. Almost completely locked him down :huh:
Fair enough looking at those stats. I'm wrong. I do remember Spurr playing good games on him though. Eddie kicked two of the goals of the year one game, snaps from 40 on the boundry. No one can defend that brilliance. The good players only need a couple of chances to hurt you. Look at the last game in context where he kicked 3, his team had 40+ shots and Betts only touched it 9 times. That's a pretty good effort. The 6 goals is a loss definitely. Anyway, my point is I'm not 100% we have someone better right now to play on Wingard.

Fair enough looking at those stats. I'm wrong. I do remember Spurr playing good games on him though. Eddie kicked two of the goals of the year one game, snaps from 40 on the boundry. No one can defend that brilliance. The good players only need a couple of chances to hurt you. Look at the last game in context where he kicked 3, his team had 40+ shots and Betts only touched it 9 times. That's a pretty good effort. The 6 goals is a loss definitely. Anyway, my point is I'm not 100% we have someone better right now to play on Wingard.
Yeah true, there aren't many that can keep Betts quiet. I just don't think Spurr is fast and agile enough to play on these types of small forwards. Probably agility required more so than speed. Will be interesting if someone like Blakely could shut them down, or Wilson/Ryan - even Hamling played really well on some of those dangerous smalls when at the Bulldogs (having APearce in could release him to do that). But the real key is probably pressure on the ball carrier down field and force an intercept before it gets to them - same goes for gun key forwards I think.

Yeah true, there aren't many that can keep Betts quiet. I just don't think Spurr is fast and agile enough to play on these types of small forwards. Probably agility required more so than speed. Will be interesting if someone like Blakely could shut them down, or Wilson/Ryan - even Hamling played really well on some of those dangerous smalls when at the Bulldogs (having APearce in could release him to do that). But the real key is probably pressure on the ball carrier down field and force an intercept before it gets to them - same goes for gun key forwards I think.
Agree that it will need to be about the pressure on the ball carrier, but don't feel more confident in Blakely as opposed to Spurr as a direct opponent.

I was really surprised with how Wilson has performed defensively, his man on man pressure and spoiling in marking contests has been terrific against his direct opponent.
Wilson can peel off Wingard and hurt Port the other way, he knows when to go and when to hold.
I think Spurr was great a couple of years ago but we have to make players like Wingard accountable and Wilson would be a big headache for him.

I was really surprised with how Wilson has performed defensively, his man on man pressure and spoiling in marking contests has been terrific against his direct opponent.
Wilson can peel off Wingard and hurt Port the other way, he knows when to go and when to hold.
I think Spurr was great a couple of years ago but we have to make players like Wingard accountable and Wilson would be a big headache for him.
Very much agree with this. Make Wingard defend and you're already half way to shutting him down.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Very much agree with this. Make Wingard defend and you're already half way to shutting him down.

Yeah, but I am not a fan of using Wilson to do that. He is a key to our transition from defense, it is his speciality, and it is how we have been training.

The closer we can play to the way we want to play, the better for our game plan development. Our best "stopper" type players are Spurr, Hughes and Nyhuis in my opinion.

I'm surprised that people are thinking Daniel will play. This isn't an equal ins and outs scenario. If one comes in, three must go out; that one in is a winger, so logic says a winger goes out, that is Daniel Pearce. I'm backing Langdon and Sutcliffe to stay in the squad as guys who will also play wing.
Meek plus one more, perhaps Johnson, or Kerstan, really not sure on that one.

Agree that it will need to be about the pressure on the ball carrier, but don't feel more confident in Blakely as opposed to Spurr as a direct opponent.
Who knows? We've yet to see it so just speculating. The players who have towelled up Wingard (rarely happens) seem to be (relatively) agile big bodied mid/defs so I certainly wouldn't be against giving Connor a go.
Yep Spurr held Betts well in 2014 (I think it was) but he's struggled to contain him (and most other small forwards) since. It's not all on him (our pressure has sucked the last couple of years) but 1-on-1 against those best small forwards I think we need to experiment with other options.

Yeah, but I am not a fan of using Wilson to do that. He is a key to our transition from defense, it is his speciality, and it is how we have been training.

The closer we can play to the way we want to play, the better for our game plan development. Our best "stopper" type players are Spurr, Hughes and Nyhuis in my opinion.
I don't mean that Wilson mans him all the time. I mean for the other defenders to leave those two alone to play a game of cat and mouse with each other, for example force Wingard to follow him out of the 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back