AFL Live Pass

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL does exactly what every other sport does. NFL pass is blacked out if the games are on fta or cable.

Also at $15 a mth you'd need twice the subscribers netflix has in Aus just to break even on the $250mil the rights cost.

How is the $15 a month any different for what proportion is being paid out of a Foxtel sub? Call it $20 a month for the sports package. Some % of that goes to the AFL rights, surely not all of it. So where's the difference?

How is the $15 a month any different for what proportion is being paid out of a Foxtel sub? Call it $20 a month for the sports package. Some % of that goes to the AFL rights, surely not all of it. So where's the difference?
How many people get foxtel purely because of the afl?

You can bet your bottom dollar rupert isnt doing it out of the kindness of his heart and the fact that hes out to project a nicer image.

So what if netflix by the rights and stream it for an extra tenner?

7.6 million australians now have netflix

Assume for arguments sake half of them are cockroaches and cane toads

Leaving 3.8 million

How many people would jump on an extra twenty a month for afl streaming in proper hd?

How many more people would jump on netflix?

You would need around 2.1 million people paying 20 a month to break even

Or 1.4 million @$30 perth month

Or just over a million at $40pm

Id happily pay $240 for a year of proper hd

The difference is the price of AFL on Foxtel is offset by all the people who get Foxtel and only watch movies or game of thrones but still have to buy the basic package or rugby or cricket fans that have to buy the whole sports package.

The difference is the price of AFL on Foxtel is offset by all the people who get Foxtel and only watch movies or game of thrones but still have to buy the basic package or rugby or cricket fans that have to buy the whole sports package.
Oooorrr the price of foxtel is offset by all the people who get foxtel for fa else but footy

Prob the footy is often upscaled sd as fuquit channel 7 refuse to give them a hd feed.

Upscaled sd is better than sd but it aint hd

It’s all HD now, changed last season (finally).

1) if netflix do it we will get proper hd and eventually 4k
2) no ads
3) fcuk rupert - with barbed wire

1) if netflix do it we will get proper hd and eventually 4k
2) no ads
3) fcuk rupert - with barbed wire

Netflix made $178mil in total revenue in Australia in 2017.

Foxtel paid $260mil a year for just the AFL rights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Netflix made $178mil in total revenue in Australia in 2017.

Foxtel paid $260mil a year for just the AFL rights.
Im not suggesting they do it for free

See this post earlier:

How many people get foxtel purely because of the afl?

You can bet your bottom dollar rupert isnt doing it out of the kindness of his heart and the fact that hes out to project a nicer image.

So what if netflix by the rights and stream it for an extra tenner?

7.6 million australians now have netflix

Assume for arguments sake half of them are cockroaches and cane toads

Leaving 3.8 million

How many people would jump on an extra twenty a month for afl streaming in proper hd?

How many more people would jump on netflix?

You would need around 2.1 million people paying 20 a month to break even

Or 1.4 million @$30 perth month

Or just over a million at $40pm

Id happily pay $240 for a year of proper hd

Further more if they have 7.6 million subscribers

7600000x10x12

Is a lot more than 178million - its more like 912 million.

Edit: https://www.statista.com/statistics/612277/netflix-streaming-revenues-australia/

Their figures are a bit hinky.....

Last edited:
I use kodi afl add on and use my afl live pass details. Not perfect but does the job. Means I can watch it on my TV easily.

Kodi just uses the credentials from the afl app (or your Telstra details if you get it free through them). It doesn't cast the app.

Do you run a VPN (for anonymity purposes?)? Is it recommended to run one?

I do realise that one needs to pay (or receive it free via Telstra) for a AFL Live Pass subscription. However, I can see Telstra having an issue with one being able to display a full screen stream, on a display larger than 7".

Do you run a VPN (for anonymity purposes?)? Is it recommended to run one?

I do realise that one needs to pay (or receive it free via Telstra) for a AFL Live Pass subscription. However, I can see Telstra having an issue with one being able to display a full screen stream, on a display larger than 7".
Not needed. Not sure if Telstra would be able to tell.

Another that uses AFL Live pass with Kodi on an Android Media box. Quality isn't 1080 HD but its pretty good. More than enough to watch a game of football.

I dont know if its been said in the thread yet or not. But its best to get your Live Pass through the website opposed to an app.

Im not suggesting they do it for free

See this post earlier:

Further more if they have 7.6 million subscribers

7600000x10x12

Is a lot more than 178million - its more like 912 million.

Edit: https://www.statista.com/statistics/612277/netflix-streaming-revenues-australia/

Their figures are a bit hinky.....

Your confusing the number of people who have Netflix with subscribers. Each person in a home doesn't have a subscription.

In fact you just need someone's login details to get it. So 1 paid sub for each 4-5 people. Footy would be the same.

$15 a mth for footy is a pipedream. You're looking at $1000 a season at least if Foxtel pulled out.

Your confusing the number of people who have Netflix with subscribers. Each person in a home doesn't have a subscription.

In fact you just need someone's login details to get it. So 1 paid sub for each 4-5 people. Footy would be the same.

$15 a mth for footy is a pipedream. You're looking at $1000 a season at least if Foxtel pulled out.
Do you want to quantify $1000 per season?

Thats quarter of a million subscribers to break even

According to roy morgan as at 1/2 way through last year

This latest surge in Netflix’s potential audience is the result of a 20 percent jump in the number of household subscriptions since the end of 2016. An estimated 2,714,000 Australian homes (29 percent) are now subscribed, Roy Morgan Research shows.

At the same time foxtel had 2.8 million

What makes you think it would cost netflix so much more than foxtel to provide the same service?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back