Autopsy Rd 1 Blues go down by 26 in encouraging performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to treat Byrne like one of the kids. Less than 20 games, been injured (knee) which takes time plus no football background.

He is talented but very raw. Judge him after he can get a run of games under him
Agree with you, the lad needs at least another 20 odd games of consistent footy espoure , he'll be a very good footballer

Get a grip honestly, they're both newly turned 20 year olds.
Agree but being young and promising doesnt give you a god given right to play in the seniors if not performing to a satisfactory standard given their age and lack of experience . Both were substandard last night and both will need to show more in the coming weeks or rightly should be playing seconds . The selectors dont seem to have a problem dropping Cuningham out of the side if not quite meeting expectations .

Last edited:
Considering the tuggas got the points they are quite salty over there! Funny stuff.

Proud of the efforts last night. Haven't seen wifey up and about during a game like last night for awhile - great to see :)

Hope Kreuz and Kennedy are ok. Get the feeling they may see some time out which sucks! It definitely hurt having them off the field...two of our biggest work horses/grunt players going down isn't ideal. They were both playing well too. As we have the last season or two...showed some tenacity when we are 1 or 2 down on the bench - always great to see!

Can't speak highly enough of Curnow, Cripps, Marchbank, Simpson, Wright, Kreuzer and Thomas. Saw some glimpses from SPS, Fisher, Garlett, Mullet and Jones which is heartening.
Yes there are some concerns with Weitering but he played a great game a couple of weeks back. I wouldn't drop him. Could say the same for Silvagni.
They are both still kids...they wont consistently play big games for awhile yet - it will come.

Looking forward to seeing how we shape up against the Suns next week. Have been given some tickets to the game up here tomorrow so will see them first hand. Right now I think we'll get a hold of them but with a new club and new players who knows how they attack the ball...we'll see.

Its interesting you mentioned J Caddy, I to thought he was the difference. He bobbed up in defence to take clutch marks in the 3rd and 4th then gut run to finish 3 goals in the same period. He was almost like their spare loose ground man. We he did get those possessions he was very damaging. Who was on him?

I think this post is pertinent to how a lot of people are feeling regarding Weitering and Sos Jr, Caddy sucked before getting to the Tigs and now look. Have to give kids time, I like most want every player on our list to play to their max, but it just can't happen where every player is doing so every week. They're 20 years old and it's the first game of the season. Reply not directed at you Crusher, or anybody in particular

We overcompensated with too much offence and not enough defence.Inside 50’s were too high and we need to address our tackling.

This.
We need to find the right balance between offence and defence. May take a few weeks to get this right. But much happier we were able to kick 15 goals last night.

OK, my take on the umpiring. Long post warning (rare for me).

Both groups of supporters are complaining about them last night, Richmonds main bitch was the 50 metre penalties but players know the rules and they were just dumb infringements and, more importantly they didn't learn.

Our complaints largely were about Jones being tunnelled, Daisy's handball and HTB.

Jones first, I didn't think he deserved a free as he went early and was out of position in both contests. I didn't believe the Richmond player looked at him and deliberately blocked, sorry guys.

Daisy, yes he handballed it but we also conveniently forget that a Richmond player (Vlaustin I think) was pinged for the same thing.

Daisy was on the boundary line, all he had to do was allow himself to be taken out because there's no way he was in a position to handball to advantage.

As one who has complained about players getting away with throwing the ball for years I welcome the crackdown on this blight on the game and if it means they miss the odd punch then I'll accept that.

The one I really hate, and it seemed to only happen to us last night, is the holding the ball rule. This is crap and needs to be only applied when a player has prior opportunity. Player takes possession and is tackled immediately, whether falling to the ground or not he is often besieged by multiple players who are intent on holding the ball in hoping for the umpire to pay HTB.

This happens many times in the game and is the main reason that we see the rolling mauls that have crept in. Most times the umpires blow the whistle and ball up until we see the umpire hesitate, and it's a bit like the old witch in the pantomimes, you see it coming and you just know that player X is the unlucky one that pays the penalty for all those previous. In many cases just plain theatre.

I believe this should be balled up very quickly, the longer you allow it the more it happens and the more mauls that ensue. A ball up, regularly, is a much better chance to open play up than an occasional free, just is not fair to the team, or player, singled out. Paying one free in twenty will not ease congestion.

Prior opportunity should be just that, if a player has had ample time to offload and is caught but gets a toenail, fingernail or just drops the ball (feigning knocked out in a tackle) he should be penalised. If he gets a genuine disposal it remains play on.

Lastly I'm not an umpire hater (although my wife would probably disagree) and I don't think umpires win or lose many games but they certainly have an impact on the spectacle.
This is not correct. Daisy had the ball in his left hand and punch it out of his left hand with his right hand. That's a handball. Vlaustin punched the ball out of midair as it had left his left hand moments before. That's a freekick against.

I think the Jones' frees against could have gone either way and that's the issue.

Garlett had a free kick given against him when he fell over a player. That's previously been paid as a below the knees free kick. So Richmond got the 50/50. The fact that Simmo did not get a free kick when he had his feet taken in what had to be the most obvious late challenge does my head in.

Otherwise, I think you're right.

And on the Dusty don't argue... The obvious solution is for players to go low when trying to tackle Dusty. Firstly, attacking his hips is probably a better option and secondly it raises the chances of him giving away a high fend.

Couldn't fault Jones for effort. It looked like SOS was on Rance for a while? Rance didn't have much influence

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This very point was discussed on SEN this morning. Both Garry and Tim identified this, and thought this was a tough role for such a young player to do, and do well. And on the best defender in the AFL nonetheless.

I love our defence but now we are taking the game on more it is definitely one too many talls for me. Need another pacy runner next to Simpson. One of Weitering Jones Plowman Marchbank needs to miss out. Personally I'd drop Casboult and play Jones as fwd/ruck but it won't happen.

Hoping Cuningham will get a good run as an attacking defender. I still rate Byrne and believe he will get better. Still a baby in football terms. Willo will also help when ready.

Soap....We've been here with Jones haven't we ?. Liams just re invented himself as a defender, put in extra work over the summer to get even better than he was last year, so how can putting him back in the forward line/ruck be a good idea ?

He's playing the best football of his career in our back half at the moment..isn't he ?

This very point was discussed on SEN this morning. Both Garry and Tim identified this, and thought this was a tough role for such a young player to do, and do well. And on the best defender in the AFL nonetheless.

I was critical of his game but these are the things you don't see on TV. Note to self, keep mind open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree but being young and promising doesnt give you a god given right to play in the seniors if not performing to a staisfactory standard given their age and lack of experience . Both were substandard last night and both will need to show more in the coming weeks or rightly should be playing seconds .
I know, but that guy wrote them off lol. I'm not opposed to giving them a spell in the 2's, but just need to keep it all in perspective. Both don't have the upper bodies yet to cover for their lack of athleticism, Marchbank and Curnow are still scrawny in the upper body but are supreme athletes which makes them more effective atm. Weiters will be enormous in a few years and be a Harry Taylor clone.

OK, my take on the umpiring. Long post warning (rare for me).

Both groups of supporters are complaining about them last night, Richmonds main bitch was the 50 metre penalties but players know the rules and they were just dumb infringements and, more importantly they didn't learn.

Our complaints largely were about Jones being tunnelled, Daisy's handball and HTB.

Jones first, I didn't think he deserved a free as he went early and was out of position in both contests. I didn't believe the Richmond player looked at him and deliberately blocked, sorry guys.

Daisy, yes he handballed it but we also conveniently forget that a Richmond player (Vlaustin I think) was pinged for the same thing.

Daisy was on the boundary line, all he had to do was allow himself to be taken out because there's no way he was in a position to handball to advantage.

As one who has complained about players getting away with throwing the ball for years I welcome the crackdown on this blight on the game and if it means they miss the odd punch then I'll accept that.

The one I really hate, and it seemed to only happen to us last night, is the holding the ball rule. This is crap and needs to be only applied when a player has prior opportunity. Player takes possession and is tackled immediately, whether falling to the ground or not he is often besieged by multiple players who are intent on holding the ball in hoping for the umpire to pay HTB.

This happens many times in the game and is the main reason that we see the rolling mauls that have crept in. Most times the umpires blow the whistle and ball up until we see the umpire hesitate, and it's a bit like the old witch in the pantomimes, you see it coming and you just know that player X is the unlucky one that pays the penalty for all those previous. In many cases just plain theatre.

I believe this should be balled up very quickly, the longer you allow it the more it happens and the more mauls that ensue. A ball up, regularly, is a much better chance to open play up than an occasional free, just is not fair to the team, or player, singled out. Paying one free in twenty will not ease congestion.

Prior opportunity should be just that, if a player has had ample time to offload and is caught but gets a toenail, fingernail or just drops the ball (feigning knocked out in a tackle) he should be penalised. If he gets a genuine disposal it remains play on.

Lastly I'm not an umpire hater (although my wife would probably disagree) and I don't think umpires win or lose many games but they certainly have an impact on the spectacle.
Did read....and do agree...

Lack of experience and poise, and lack of fit players probably cost us a victory last night. Kreuzer's injury was a cruel blow at such an important time. Kennedy's loss was a huge blow. Make no mistake that was equivalent to a final last night. Crowd, pressure it had it all.
Cripps and Curnow were brilliant. Simpson seems to have found the fountain of youth. Whatever it is i want 10 litres of it please. Wright continues to do his job and kick goals.
Casboult: I feel for him. Out in front, and the ball is kicked over his head. Why they cannot simply kick in front of him (like Dusty did late in the game) and let him run onto it beggars belief. Last night again highlighted that he is not a ruckman and his game is one dimensional.
Silvagni: Was all at sea last night and needs to develop another role or he could find himself in trouble in a few years.
Garlett: Moments of brilliance, but overall probably out of his depth on the night. Will be a good player if he continues to work hard and learn.

Marks inside 50: 8-Clearly an area where we have to improve. (Richmond 19)
Tackles: 49 (Richmond 70)-

The game against Gold Coast next week will be the big test. We should win, and frankly expect to win, and win well. Let's see how the lads back up.

I know, but that guy wrote them off lol. I'm not opposed to giving them a spell in the 2's, but just need to keep it all in perspective. Both don't have the upper bodies yet to cover for their lack of athleticism, Marchbank and Curnow are still scrawny in the upper body but are supreme athletes which makes them more effective atm. Weiters will be enormous in a few years and be a Harry Taylor clone.
Harry Taylor is quite quick for his size i dont see that in Weitering . Does play in a similar fashion to Taylor though . Clearly a smart player Weitering but can be exposed badly and needs the right matchup to thrive . Yes still young and hope he learns to adapt and show some more intensity . To me he seems to lack a little endeavour .

Hate the shorts love the fighting spirit so many injuries could have easily given up.

Bolton made no excuses was awesome.

Crippa our next captain lead from the front they guy is already better and than inside mids.

Crippa can do everything contested marks no problem, go into the forward half no problem.

Get the really hard ball that's a piece of cake.

First time in 20 years I have a positive deeling about these Blues and about our coach.

I never wanted Micky Mouse as coach am glad we have a coach like Bolton.

C Curnow needs to be signed on for life yesterday along the Crippa.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back