Movie What is your all time favourite Australian movie? NOW WITH POLL

What is your all time favourite Australian movie?

• Wolf Creek

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • The Castle

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • Animal Kingdom

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Lantana

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock

• The Dish

• Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Muriel's Wedding

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Mad Max

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Last Cab to Darwin

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • The Proposition

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Alvin Purple

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Romper Stomper

• Other

Votes: 55 24.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep....Should have been on the list....Best Aussie crime movie barr none.

On the opposite end of the spectrum: The getting of wisdom was excellent.

Gallipoli Was also a terrific war movie from an Aussie perspective & Storm Boy was just so unique.

Sunday too far away also deserves a mention....Just captured the essence of the outback.

The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith remains the most haunting of the lot.

Finally: Haven't seen any mention of The Shiralee or Cloudstreet for that matter.

Last edited:

Also might have suggested For the Term of His Natural Life with Colin Friels in it, but my memory might betray me- that may have been a mini series rather than a movie.
Excellent book.

Can't believe Chopper isn't in the list. Not sure I'd rate it as my number one but deserves to be in there when you have Precilla and 'Australia'(* me that was s**t!)

Some of my favorites,

Malcolm
The Year My Voice Broke
Romper
Animal Kingdom
Death in Brunswick
The. Club
The Coolongatta Gold
The Interview
The Big Steal
Pharlap

Best Australian movie ever was made by a Canadian, Ted Kotcheff - Wake In Fright.

Unfortunately he sullied his resume with Weekend at Bernie's.

The Dish (a lot more subtle than The Castle)
Sunday Too Far Away
Crocodile Dundee
The Castle
The Interview
The Boys
Gallipoli
Breaker Morant
The Lighthorsemen
Wake in Fright

Would be pretty close to my top 10.

I'm surprised at Two Hands getting quite a few mentions. I remember it came out around 6 months after Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and for me it was a poor man's version of that.

My 40 Favourite Australian films (all at least 4 stars);

1. Wake in Fright
2. Gallipoli
3. The Proposition
4. The Last Wave
5. The Home Song Stories
6. The Year My Voice Broke
7. Mad Max
8. Candy
9. The Babadook
10. Picnic at Hanging Rock
A slight tweak to my Dec 2015 ranking;

1. Wake in Fright (=)
2. The Proposition (+1)
3. Picnic at Hanging Rock (+7)
4. Gallipolli (-2)
5. The Last Wave (-1)
6. The Year My Voice Broke (=)
7. Mad Max (=)
8. Candy (=)
9. The Babadook (=)
10. Mad Max Fury Road (+1)

In that time, Two Hands has risen in esteem the most, probably top 15.

In 2016, Long Weekend and Jedda were some of the best I caught up with.
In 2017, I finally caught up with Michael Jenkin's hard-edged, realistic Blue Murder and Scales of Justice (more a miniseries, but the two often get grouped together nowadays), as well as Newsfront.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Fury Road can be classed as Australian then Dark City has to come close as well, co-written and directed by an Australian, filmed largely in Australia and with plenty of Australians in the supporting cast.
I've always considered it a Aussie film, or at least an Aussie/USA co-production. I'm pretty sure it was produced and co-funded by the Australian Production house, Mystery Clock Cinema.

Also might have suggested For the Term of His Natural Life with Colin Friels in it, but my memory might betray me- that may have been a mini series rather than a movie.

Speaking of which, we should probably do a mini-series one also....There was one with Jon English & Gus Mercurio in it, I remember fondly as a kid....Name escapes me though....About the early settlers days & becoming a free-man with a free-hold & all the trials & tribulations that entailed.

I have a new one to top my list - Swinging Safari - which I saw earlier this year.

Set on the Gold Coast c.1975, it is one of the funniest films I have ever seen. Asher Keddie stole the show in her scenes.

Probably haven't seen as many as i've should but my top list would include:
Breaker Morant
The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith
Chopper
Animal Kingdom
Wake in Fright
The Year My Voice Broke

Underrated: Romulus, My Father and Don's Party

Speaking of which, we should probably do a mini-series one also....There was one with Jon English & Gus Mercurio in it, I remember fondly as a kid....Name escapes me though....About the early settlers days & becoming a free-man with a free-hold & all the trials & tribulations that entailed.

"Against the Wind"? I enjoyed it way back when too. I'm not sure it would stand the test of time though.

"Against the Wind"? I enjoyed it way back when too. I'm not sure it would stand the test of time though.

Yep, that's the one....With 6 Ribbons sung by Jon English himself as the theme song....First aired in 1978. 13 part series

It was Gerrard Kennedy who played the character of Dinny, not Gus Mercurio.....Reckon I was getting mixed up with Cash & Company, the TV series there.

Back