Movie What is your all time favourite Australian movie? NOW WITH POLL

What is your all time favourite Australian movie?

• Wolf Creek

Votes: 8 3.5%
  • The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • The Castle

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • Animal Kingdom

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Lantana

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Picnic at Hanging Rock

• The Dish

• Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Priscilla Queen of the Desert

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Muriel's Wedding

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Mad Max

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Last Cab to Darwin

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • The Proposition

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Alvin Purple

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Romper Stomper

• Other

Votes: 55 24.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked ( in no particular order)
Lantana
Muriel's Wedding
Picnic at hanging rock
Evil Angels
Beneath Clouds
Puberty blues

I see there are no votes for Muriel's Wedding. Interesting. I think some consider it to be a comedy and it is in parts. But it's one of the blackest comedies I've seen ever. The scene at the end where the mother dies is horrific. Might be a great movie but will never again watch it.

Priscilla on the other hand is a great movie
I agree with you, the mother is a truly pathetic , sad character. Sad because she is a nice person who lived for her family but was never appreciated for who she was , least of all her husband who basically was sick of her and had moved on with Diedre. I think she really died of a broke heart, at least that's what I think. There are some truly flawed characters in this movie true but I actually think there are a lot of messages in this movie . Messages which I think because of the comedic element some people missed. But in my opinion this is a great movie for so many reasons .

Ooh, just remembered one of my all-time faves. Apologies for the shitty image...

1URIi4zh6ATDInnfyb7j6zhnCzo.jpg

My 40 Favourite Australian films (all at least 4 stars);

1. Wake in Fright
2. Gallipoli
3. The Proposition
4. The Last Wave
5. The Home Song Stories
6. The Year My Voice Broke
7. Mad Max
8. Candy
9. The Babadook
10. Picnic at Hanging Rock
11. Mad Max Fury Road
12. Dogs in Space
13. Walkabout
14. Malcolm
15. Dingo
16. Traveling North
17. Mad Max 2
18. The Interview
19. The Tracker
20. Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
21. The Sum of Us
22. Charlie's Country
23. Lantana
24. Chopper
25. Animal Kingdom
26. Strictly Ballroom
27. The Coolangatta Gold
28. The Rover
29. Alexandra's Project
30. Encounter at Raven's Gate
31. Indonesia Calling: Joris Ivens in Indonesia
32. Noise
33. The King is Dead
34. The Last Days of Chez Nous
35. Love Serenade
36. The Fringe Dwellers
37. The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith
38. Balibo
39. Sunday Too Far Away
40. Oranges and Sunshine
HM: Yolngu Boy, Blessed, Wolf Creek, Tracks, Samson & Delilah and I really like at least a hundred more.

Films I am planning to check out this month: Man of Flowers, The Getting of Wisdom, Newsfront.

I've omitted films from the likes of Jane Campion and Vincent Ward. Even in cases where co-productions won Australian film awards, I always felt they were more NZ (or Britain in some cases), and if they aren't set in Australia either that seals the deal for me. Otherwise the likes of Bright Star, The Navigator, etc. would also be on here.

And loving the countless other worthy mentions in this thread, from Patrick to The Odd Angry Shot to Alvin Purple.

The best Australian silent I've seen is maybe The Sentimental Bloke, but its less pure cinema than a lovely hybrid of silent cinema and poetry intertitles.

In terms of Aussie TV dramas, Phoenix/Janus stand up exceptionally well as intelligent procedurals well ahead of their time, and Love My Way is also brilliant.

Last edited:

I've omitted films from the likes of Jane Campion and Vincent Ward. Even in cases where co-productions won Australian film awards, I always felt they were more NZ (or Britain in some cases), and if they aren't set in Australia either that seals the deal for me. Otherwise the likes of Bright Star, The Navigator, etc. would also be on here.

To go around in circles, Fury Road?

1. Wake in Fright
2. Gallipoli
3. The Proposition
4. The Last Wave
5. The Home Song Stories
7. Mad Max
8. Candy
9. The Babadook
11. Mad Max Fury Road
12. Dogs in Space
13. Walkabout
14. Malcolm
15. Dingo
16. Traveling North
17. Mad Max 2
18. The Interview
19. The Tracker
21. The Sum of Us
22. Charlie's Country
23. Lantana
24. Chopper
25. Animal Kingdom
26. Strictly Ballroom
27. The Coolangatta Gold
28. The Rover
29. Alexandra's Project
32. Noise
33. The King is Dead
35. Love Serenade
36. The Fringe Dwellers
38. Balibo
39. Sunday Too Far Away
40. Oranges and Sunshine
HM: Yolngu Boy, Blessed, Wolf Creek, Tracks, Samson & Delilah and I really like at least a hundred more.

Films I am planning to check out this month: Man of Flowers, The Getting of Wisdom, Newsfront.

And loving the countless other worthy mentions in this thread, from Patrick to The Odd Angry Shot to Alvin Purple.

The best Australian silent I've seen is maybe The Sentimental Bloke, but its less pure cinema than a lovely hybrid of silent cinema and poetry intertitles.

In terms of Aussie TV dramas, Phoenix/Janus stand up exceptionally well as intelligent procedurals well ahead of their time, and Love My Way is also brilliant.
Definitely add The year my voice broke and The fringe dwellers. Brilliant movies.

1. Wake in Fright
2. Gallipoli
3. The Proposition
4. The Last Wave
5. The Home Song Stories
7. Mad Max
8. Candy
9. The Babadook
11. Mad Max Fury Road
12. Dogs in Space
13. Walkabout
14. Malcolm
15. Dingo
16. Traveling North
17. Mad Max 2
18. The Interview
19. The Tracker
21. The Sum of Us
22. Charlie's Country
23. Lantana
24. Chopper
25. Animal Kingdom
26. Strictly Ballroom
27. The Coolangatta Gold
28. The Rover
29. Alexandra's Project
32. Noise
33. The King is Dead
35. Love Serenade
36. The Fringe Dwellers
38. Balibo
39. Sunday Too Far Away
40. Oranges and Sunshine

No - They're a Weird Mob - on that list. Is that because you have never seen it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No - They're a Weird Mob - on that list. Is that because you have never seen it?
Not as of yet. Have meant to, particularly given the anthropological interest and the Powell aspect, but never had the opportunity. But loads of other great films I have seen missed my top 40 as well, from Little Fish to Monkey Bone to The Back of Beyond.

The Adventures of Barry Mackenzie doesn't stand up all that well. Among similar films, Stork and particularly Alvin Purple have a lot more lasting cinematic merit. All important though in the context of Australia's film industry, big successes of their day and somewhat subversive.

One of my favourites, not all time favourite movie - but maybe my favourite scene in an Oz movie

Robbo - Whaddaya doin Chopper ?? , ya don't shoot ya friends , he's not ya enemy !!....."
Chopper -..............wellhefuggenisnow innintee

Last edited:
Gettin' Square up there for me.
They're A Weird Mob (a movie that every wog should see)
Lantana
Two Hands

Yeah, not a bad selection.
Romper Stomper is up there for me as one of the best.
Russell Crowe before he ended up in Hollywood was at his height.
Gettin' Square excellent movie.

The Bank was not bad either.
Two Hands probably one of the Heath Ledger ones I seen before he ended up in Hollywood too, which is a shame as that probably ultimately cost him his life. Don't think he liked the fame that came with it.

Rabbit Proof Fence is a good aussie movie, even if a sad story to watch.
I enjoyed that one too.

Puberty Blues was good, I enjoyed the fairly recent TV show as well.

Gallipoli is incredible, just behind The Castle overall for me. A few not mentioned yet (I think) that I liked were The Water Diviner, Evil Angels, Last Train to Freo (cool little local indie one) and Wasted on the Young.

Back