Australian Cricket Broadcast Rights 2018 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing atm. But even amongst the most passionate soccer fans, the popularity of the A-League is questionable. It seems to me the A-League is not worth it.

If the promoed the s*** out of it they might be able to manage, im not saying its necessarily a good idea but if FFA want the soccer to be bigger then they might take a cheap deal. I dunno really, just ideas.

If the promoed the s*** out of it they might be able to manage, im not saying its necessarily a good idea but if FFA want the soccer to be bigger then they might take a cheap deal. I dunno really, just ideas.
tbh, I don't think so. Accounting for the fact this thread is about the cricket broadcasting rights, this'll be my last post on the soccer. If the FFA want soccer to be bigger here in Aus, then they better start promoting the **** out of the Premier League.

There is still going to be a shitload of cricket and footy on TV all for free, certainly still far more than before pay TV came along. And cricket and footy used to quite often be both delayed in the past. If you want the premium option of absolutely everything single thing live when you want it, then scrape together $10 a week in you budget. It's not rocket science.

What's ridiculous about it? You weren't tied down and forced to watch. Ridiculous is not being able to watch one of the 16 games you won't be able to watch. Or watching on delay, which we can expect from these assholes (see AFL).
Too many games. It’s overkill this year proved it. It went in and on and on. Could tell the public had enough

I can only speak from personal experience but I loved it and so did my son. I didn't watch every game, usually only watched one of the double headers but knowing you can tune in any night was a big part of its success.

If they are increasing the number of games, then it will still be possible to watch a game every night. But if they block access to local games or delay them, they will alienate fans. And the BBL is currently the golden goose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon only Slats and Warnie are a chance of appearing on 7 or Fox, the rest of channel 9's commentators may struggle to get a gig on TV. Bill Lawry has been a favourite of mine, however i think it wouldn't be the worst idea in the world for him to call it a day so to speak. If he continues calling the cricket in a part time capacity, my concern is we'd be saying he's gone a year or two too long.

Nobody cared about the Big Bash until it was on free to air every night. It was a nothing competition on Fox. Let's hope it doesn't become one again.

Lots of sports take the cash from Fox only to become irrelevant because a large proportion of the population can't watch it anymore. Think rugby union.

That's not correct. The state based BBL was very popular - the WACA would get pretty close to selling out most games, so too would Adelaide Oval, the MCG had a couple of 50k games. Ratings were pretty solid, got very visible coverage in the papers on the news etc. You are correct though in that everything exploded once it went on mainstream TV and really captured a lot more of the causal audience which has been the great thing about Ten's coverage.

My takehomes from the new deal are:

* It’s disappointing to see the end of an era at 9
* Without commentary, 40 years of experience in cricket broadcasting will go to waste and we could be set for a bad experience on 7. Watching the BBL on 10, they score incorrectly or miss replays occasionally, so you can only imagine what will happen on 7.
* Foxtel can follow the cricket all year round which is an incentive for me to get Pay TV, as well as the other sports. There might even be a 24/7 cricket channel!!
* The Sheffield Shield Final will be on TV which is great
* Obviously no one cares about ODI’s anymore, certainly i dont
* A full home and away BBL will not be good for the game at all unless it is played in the same timeframe, it gets tiring after a few weeks already.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yawn. This bullshit keeps on getting peddled yet ratings are outstanding, crowds still strong worldwide and bigfooty threads are full of people before the game hoarding like sheep about how little they care yet are there every page of a 100+ page thread passionately involved with the game. ODI's are still very much a key component of the sport.

Makes absolutely no sense to lose the concept from the sport other than to satisfy an empty echo that reverberates, just... because.

Overall I've liked Channel 9s coverage of test cricket, sure some of its commentators are stale with the same stories being retold countless times over the years so I am not sure I welcome it moving to Channel 7 which has done an increasingly poor job of covering major sport over recent years, however I give a thumps up to Foxtel being involved as their coverage of test cricket has been as good if not better than Channel 9s has ever been.

If true, then the scumpigs at CA have stifled the games growth and screwed Cricket fans - and Channel ten - all to get their bonuses. CA needs to get their house in order.

If that is accurate then that doesn't reflect well at all for CA, in effect they have pissed off one of the world's largest media companies which may have given them a platform to build the game into North America or provided access to CBS's network of sponsors who may have become interested in supporting the game as some sort of cross sport arrangement for a short term deal worth a few million.

If that's true it's more reasonable. The fact that you currently have to purchase another package totalling $49 when you just want sport is just outright exploitation.

Considering the sport shown on Fox the sports package is good value, unfortunately you have to also have the starter package which has a mix of good channels and a few crappy channels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back