Review Post Game Day Thread Collingwood vs Brisbane - Thanks for De Goey, Bears

Remove this Banner Ad

Excuses are like arseholes how is that so difficult to forget? We lost Reid, Maynard and Aish through that period. All are role players with two directly replaced by Adams and Moore. It’s hardly an out for yesterday’s performance”
It really annoys me when I read 'excuses', since when is an excuse a substitute for facts? These are facts not excuses and may be a reason why we should not be compared to Richmond that has a full list to select from and have been playing together for a lot more than 6 games.
I don't consider Reid, Maynard and Aish who has been one of better consistently good players as 'role' players.

I am surprised that you compare a forward/part time defender and a mid that been asked to play back to replace backs that have been jelling well together.

How is it a matter of respect when I've never actually felt that way about a player.. love liked hated disliked.. yes..

s**t.. not good enough.. lacking.. whatever re.. not into semantics..

I've already explained why I couldn't care less about him being a 2 game player..
How can you have any understanding of the game and not respect the player? It's physically demanding, dangerous and calls for athleticism beyond measure. It's subject to fortune, to the outcome of a multitude of contests (and contests within contests), and to the demands of coaches, fellow players, spectators and a raft of other people. It's inherently uncertain (and often unfair) as to outcome. It imposes triumph and despair almost at random and within a single game. I regard those who play it, and especially those who play it for my club, as brave and deserving people. In answer to your question... that's how it's a matter of respect.

I missed all of the game but got it recorded, looking forward to the replay!

Taylor Adams had no impact?

Definitely not early. I thought his 2nd half improved a little bit after he was pretty much invisible the first half.

I think both he and Moore didn't adjust to the pace of the game after a few weeks off.

Played in defense till the last.

Our defense which has been our strength up until this round had a really bad day at the office.

Enjoy the replay.

Definitely not early. I thought his 2nd half improved a little bit after he was pretty much invisible the first half.

I think both he and Moore didn't adjust to the pace of the game after a few weeks off.
Thanks mate. Seems Taylor rubs a few up the wrong way here but I'm a fan. Just needs a bit more polish with his kicking...

Hopefully another week and some continuity and he'll be back in business soon

If we were playing a more experienced team we would've been behind at half time.
That said, I am very pleased WE were the ones that conjured the great passage of play to seal the game.

I really like Appleby fwiw..

I like him a lot.

Particularly because even though he misses some targets (in 2 games) his turnovers thus far haven't directly led to opposition goals, which I'm completely fine with.

Happy for him to make the odd inexperienced error her and there if it's not costing goals. I absolutely abhor giving away cheap, shitty goals. Something far more experienced players than Apples do with frightening regularity.

Going to find himself down back for the majority of the year, do you think?

I hope not........it really hurts my eyes when Blair plays in the centre of the ground.

I've been impressed with Appleby when in a one-on-one contest, holds his feet - good strength in close. Doing his job.

He's never going to be a creative force off half-back, simply because he has poor footskills.

Seems like the kind of guy that just needs to play within his limitations, and he could forge himself a fairly successful career.

Shout out to Tom Phillips.

Been critical of him because he looks like he's 26 years old but it's easy to forget hes only 20.

His number's he's putting up this year are extremely impressive.

But he really is making a few people eat some humble pie, decision making is improving and the volume of contests he gets too is a credit to his work rate and elite running patterns..

Keep it up TP.

I've been a Phillips admirer from his early games, love the way he competes for the footy when he seems to be out positioned and has a willing resolve to bounce back from adversity. The knock on his game was his disposal but he's improving in that area the more games he plays, I think he will develop into a star for Collingwood, looking more like he is on his way already.

I've been impressed with Appleby when in a one-on-one contest, holds his feet - good strength in close. Doing his job.

He's never going to be a creative force off half-back, simply because he has poor footskills.

Seems like the kind of guy that just needs to play within his limitations, and he could forge himself a fairly successful career.
Luke Brown at Adelaide springs to mind. Internally, very highly rated but externally is largely anonymous. Appleby could be our version with continued backing and a natural growth in confidence as experience comes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed.

It's a delicate balance at the moment between the continuity that served us so well early and bringing back our best players as they are fit. I remember Jamie's first game back last year (at Etihad but the opposition escapes me) but he was well off the pace.. Lesser experienced kids like Moore will be no different.

If we're thinking only one game ahead I think we could possibly benefit more (if it were possible) from getting the more AFL seasoned Langdon,Maynard and Reid back in vs Elliott , Adams and Wells .

On an unrelated note we also seem to have lost a bit of the "lowering the eyes" into forward 50 that we had going earlier in the year . A lot more long bombs to questionable contests coming back into our game.

How can you have any understanding of the game and not respect the player? It's physically demanding, dangerous and calls for athleticism beyond measure. It's subject to fortune, to the outcome of a multitude of contests (and contests within contests), and to the demands of coaches, fellow players, spectators and a raft of other people. It's inherently uncertain (and often unfair) as to outcome. It imposes triumph and despair almost at random and within a single game. I regard those who play it, and especially those who play it for my club, as brave and deserving people. In answer to your question... that's how it's a matter of respect.

If that's the case.. respect is owed to everyone.. not just athletes.. it's not how life works though my friend. Do I need to show my accountant respect cause he completed his/bachelors degree and then went on to complete his CA/CPA? No.. I don't have to. Do you?

If that's the case.. respect is owed to everyone.. not just athletes.. it's not how life works though my friend. Do I need to show my accountant respect cause he completed his/bachelors degree and then went on to complete his CA/CPA? No.. I don't have to. Do you?
Well... with regard to matters of accountancy, yes you do.

I reckon their forward line is exactly what our backline is not geared to handle.

They have monster talls over 200cm who are pretty agile. We basically use Scharenberg at 190cm as our CHB and Dunn at 192cm as our FB. So height was an issue.
there
Then at ground level they have Cameron, Christensen and Taylor. The loss of Maynard was actually more telling than I thought. We clearly struggled when the ball got to ground inside their 50. I think a large reason was we were concerned about their talls and were committing too many players to the contest, but still letting the ball get over the back.

We looked pretty well structured during traditional forward entries. We took a lot of intercept marks. But when the ball came in through a less conventional manner or a scrub kick, we looked panicked. I still think we'll need a taller player down there in either Moore or Reid...or even McLarty.

Fortunately, Geelong has a more traditional forward line. But it will still offer challenges with Hawkins in good form, and Ratugolea is a bit of a freak athlete. Plus they'll use Dangerfield mostly forward with Ablett returning. So we are going to really struggle to contain that.
100% correct about having another KPD sized defender down there as the bloke Scharenberg was standing dwarfed him and was much too strong for him.

Clearly it was fatigue for us to be so poor defensively.The players were falling over and had trouble running back defensively all night.Just to put this into perepective,the Lions kicked two more goals against us than Richmond did last week,so clearly fatigue was a factor tonight.

After a 7 day rest I might add, nah.

POTY contender

Beat Geelong next week and they will need to ramp up production at Johnny Walker.
You can ask as many questions as you like.

And that's the problem the club is not being held to account, poor one week and then world beaters the next week but no one asks if only rarely. But the club would never answer anyway.

Not good enough.

And that's the problem the club is not being held to account, poor one week and then world beaters the next week but no one asks if only rarely. But the club would never answer anyway.

Not good enough.
What questions would you like the club to be held accountable for?

After a 7 day rest I might add, nah.

I think fatigue was a very small factor. We seemed to fade late in quarters and Brisbane would come back strong at us, after we would typically skip away to a lead earlier.

I think a lot of it is mental as well. When Christensen was interviewed at half time, he made specific mention that we might fade due to the 3 games in 11 days. So it was definitely mentioned by Brisbane coaching as a ploy to motivate.

But I think the biggest thing is that we played 2 monster games in front of huge crowds against Essendon and Richmond, then had to play the bottom f the ladder side in Brisbane. There would be a natural let down after such big games, especially when Brisbane were almost treating it like a mini-final.

Overall, I thought we handled that side of it well. We worked hard and there was no shortage of effort. I think we were just a bit sloppy defensively. I don't think fatigue was the reason it was so close. I just think Brisbane were playing a style of game that we struggled to match defensively. However, offensively we still had their measure. I think we were a bit rattled defensively, and maybe the legs felt a bit heavier than normal which made it hard to stop the momentum.

Overall, i'm more than happy with a win and the 4 points. I think it was a pleasing result that we hung in there and kicked the winning goal against momentum.

I'm honestly though struggling to understand some of the angst.

This was always a danger game, and with 2 minutes to go I was extremely worried. Percentage is an issue, and it's a shame that we missed out on an opportunity to get percentage. But, overall we got the 4 points and I'm just bloody glad to have that one behind us.

But I'm sure the club will be acknowledging that there were some pretty glaring issues to come out of that game. Defensively in particular, and also in the ruck. The 2nd week in a row we dominated hitouts but got smashed in clearances. We also have allowed far too many crumbing goals in recent weeks.

So if we don't address these concerns, then I agree there should be angst. But for now, I'm very happy with the win and I woke up very positive.

To be 4-3 after such a tough start to the year is a huge result!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back