Star Wars Star Wars: The Last Jedi - THREAD PART 2 - *SPOILERS and RUMORS*

Remove this Banner Ad

In fact, I think I'll make a youtube video pushing this angle, and see how the YT community responds.....no doubt i'll only get like 5 views :( but still, I think there's so many things that just don't add up.
Post it here

The script of TLJ is so awful (in terms of writing) that surely a film-maker like RJ who HAS written good scripts before, in terms of showing fundamental understanding of plot, character development, pacing, etc, that it seems more like a script that a producer with limited artistic/writing background would have written.

The whole TLJ script, as a story, and character development, is so fundamentally poor, I struggle to believe an "accomplished" and film-educated artist like RJ would have written it.

This so far has gone unexplained.

That fight scene is the worst in the entire franchise. No lie. If you think it is good you are the reverse hater, the everything is awesome fan.

It's ******* terrible. I could do better. I seriously could. I can post youtubes of a mate and I screwing around with lightsabre effects from a dozen years ago on par with that.

People praised it though? Like, I understand having different opinions on things. That point of view though screams the holder has a bias position, or deficiency.

Sent from mTalk

Have said this before, but that fight should’ve been over before it started.

But it reflects the film well. Looks good, and aesthetically pleasing. But when you think about it a bit deeper, it’s ridiculous.

I believe that the story group handed RJ a few non negotiables, but they left everything else up to him as a result of the criticisms of TFA being too similar. They said get these done, and we'll back you in on the rest. It's entirely up to you.

Both parties are equally at fault in creating this mess.

But it reflects the film well. Looks good, and aesthetically pleasing. But when you think about it a bit deeper, it’s ridiculous.
I've said this before but the fight shouldn't have happened, if I'm one of those guards I'm not risking my life for dead person, I'd just accept Kylo as the new leader.

There's definitely a bit of Boba Fett-ism with the guards, they look cool and have flashy weapons but are dealt with pretty quickly. Choosing to have an evocative, bright red colour for their armour and weapons is pretty clever from RJ as it distracts the viewer from focusing on any sort of tactics/fighting style and instead bombards them with visuals.

Can they see through these helmets or are they blind but skilled in combat like Chirrut?
tlj-elite-praetorian-guards-main_4ac8e51d.jpeg

Getting more women to see a movie = more money for Disney? Other than a crowded shot I'm not sure what the coincidence is

There's definitely a bit of Boba Fett-ism with the guards, they look cool and have flashy weapons but are dealt with pretty quickly. Choosing to have an evocative, bright red colour for their armour and weapons is pretty clever from RJ as it distracts the viewer from focusing on any sort of tactics/fighting style and instead bombards them with visuals.

Can they see through these helmets or are they blind but skilled in combat like Chirrut?

Getting more women to see a movie = more money for Disney? Other than a crowded shot I'm not sure what the coincidence is
That's an insult to Boba Fett

I've said this before but the fight shouldn't have happened, if I'm one of those guards I'm not risking my life for dead person, I'd just accept Kylo as the new leader.

They do look cool. I like their design, the deep red colour. And loved when the flames brought down the red drapes to unveil that 360 degree view into space from Snoke’s chamber.

But it was all just a fluffy distraction. When you actually look past that, the fight itself should’ve been a non event. Two of the most powerful force users in the galaxy, didn’t even use the force.

They could’ve flicked them aside if they wanted to, but instead this ended up being the ‘best’ fight the entire film could muster.

I don't care how good a fighter someone is, 6 trained "elite" competitors, using 'instant-kill' weapons v 2 is not going to end well for the 2.

There's multiple shots of this scene where the Guards had an open shot and didn't take it - some where they move away or don't strike, where they wait their turn, or even when a weapon just disappears from the shot. It was horrible.

No wonder "she was able to pick up the routine in a single afternoon".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's multiple shots of this scene where the Guards had an open shot and didn't take it - some where they move away or don't strike, where they wait their turn, or even when a weapon just disappears from the shot. It was horrible.
This happens in every action movie fight involving multiple opponents ever made; henchmen just sitting back, waiting for their 'turn' to fight the hero. Cracked even wrote an article about the trope. Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it.

hqdefault.jpg

Evolution from this. Less regal aura, more ninja knight oxymoroning.

I reckon Snoke's guards looked great.

Not such a fan of their dance routine.

Still my fabourite scene of TLJ by a long way

I'm shocked that RJ went with such a common trope, would've been a great opportunity to subvert audience expectations

Only just saw this tidbit so apologies if already shown.

The guy closest to the screen so blatantly swings over the top of Rey in this shot

giphy.gif
Most fight scenes in most movies have a certain level of this, especially when there are larger groups fighting. It would be pretty hard to choreograph a big fight scene where 1-2 people aren't standing back doing nothing at some point, or taking a wild swing that should probably connect if it was a real world fight. Let's be honest, any fight scene that has 2 people fighting against 8 and has the 2 win, is going to be unrealistic, because 99 times out of 100, the 8 would win in real life.
Jackie Chan has some of the best fight scenes in cinematic history, but I bet you'll find countless examples of his enemies standing back while he despatches a few, then coming in to attack.

What about the two guards that just run past Kylo with little effort? Or do we just focus on Rey because she's a Mary Sue?
Was still a cool scene.
The Power Rangers scene?
Some laud it as the greatest lightsabre battle of the franchise.

Got any examples of that? Haven't heard/read anyone say that.

That fight scene is the worst in the entire franchise. No lie. If you think it is good you are the reverse hater, the everything is awesome fan.

It's ******* terrible. I could do better. I seriously could. I can post youtubes of a mate and I screwing around with lightsabre effects from a dozen years ago on par with that.

People praised it though? Like, I understand having different opinions on things. That point of view though screams the holder has a bias position, or deficiency.

Sent from mTalk
I thought it was a cool scene. Certainly not the best in the franchise, but far from the worst.
On first viewing, I came out of the cinema conflicted - not knowing how to feel about the movie. Certain scenes bothered me. On second viewing, I liked it more than I did the first time. I still had issues with some scenes - some less than I originally did. Third viewing on blueray, I like it more and more. I still don't like certain scenes, but it doesn't destroy the movie for me.
I'm NOT an 'everything is awesome fan'.

So you understand differing opinions, as long as those opinions aren't positive, or too far removed from your own.

Sent from mTalk

Haha, seriously this is the height of delusion, you've lost the plot. Do it - please post the youtubes of you and a mate screwing around and we'll decide which is 'better'.

People were right to praise it, easily one of the better scenes in the movie. What you have an issue with is the fight choreography, which doesn't = "the scene" and isn't what people were praising. Must admit I didn't notice the glaring misses and running away etc first time I was watching it, and yeah there are some doozies in there. But as people have said, you might as well pot literally every large group fight scene ever filmed. Go back and watch a few that are ballsy enough to use wide angle shots as was done here, you will see redshirts jumping around, swinging at nothing and waiting for their turn to attack in every single one.

Not when it comes to this specific scene. It is technically poor film making, and the praise it received was baffling.

Sent from mTalk

Maybe poor choreography. Poor technical film making? Not at all. One of the most visually striking scenes in the film and as mentioned doesn't do anything that similar scenes in other movies haven't in order to have one/few beat many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back