Pyke described perfectly on OTC

Remove this Banner Ad

Pyke fell into the same trap as Craig. Complacent and not respecting opposition game plans.
The team looked great last year with little injuries and instead of experimenting and blooding other players when they had the chance they just kept going with plan A and got worked out.
In 1997 blight did this to North. North were the best side and we lost to them at home in round 21 but blight and roo walked away knowing how to beat them.

Apart from Walsh i cant help think we are employing almost the same qualities in coaches. Craig, Sanderson and Pyke not much mongrel similar to the players we recruit. Clean imagine and easy to manage people

Tony Jewell coached Richmond 3 years and won na flag and got sacked in similar circumstances to Malthouse in favour of a favourite son.
Blight at ST Kilda wasnt due to performance (even though it wasnt great)
Hafey took collingwood from wooden spoon to grand finals and got sacked half way through 1st bad season
Politics and ego's in board rooms can have significant impacts.
You realise all those coaches weren’t winning at the time of there sacking? They only got sacked once they stopped winning. Malthouse signed that dumb contract then the Pies became a Powerhouse had he known and had Eddie known what was coming they never would’ve done the deal. Winning covers up the flaws of coaches once they stop winning there is a problem.

Pyke fell into the same trap as Craig. Complacent and not respecting opposition game plans.
The team looked great last year with little injuries and instead of experimenting and blooding other players when they had the chance they just kept going with plan A and got worked out.
In 1997 blight did this to North. North were the best side and we lost to them at home in round 21 but blight and roo walked away knowing how to beat them.

Apart from Walsh i cant help think we are employing almost the same qualities in coaches. Craig, Sanderson and Pyke not much mongrel similar to the players we recruit. Clean imagine and easy to manage people

What did Blight do to North? If North had kicked straight in the 1/2 half of that Grand Final, we would have been 10 goals down at 1/2 time. Great 2nd 1/2 by the Crows that game, but there was a huge element of fortune that kept us in that game and that wasn’t due to the earlier R21 match!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Personally I don't feel like Pyke has any mongrel and is too accepting of poor performances. That stare was embarrassing.

I think he can get the regular efforts out of players but nothing out of the ordinary like Hardwick and Beveridge did in their premiership years.

Even last year it never felt like he inspired the players. It felt like Sloane was the one that can get the group up.

Personally I don't feel like Pyke has any mongrel and is too accepting of poor performances. That stare was embarrassing.

I think he can get the regular efforts out of players but nothing out of the ordinary like Hardwick and Beveridge did in their premiership years.

Even last year it never felt like he inspired the players. It felt like Sloane was the one that can get the group up.
Sloane was non-existent half the year and we made the GF. Pyke is being severely hamstrung by his off-field staff, and if rumour has it hes being howled down at selection too.

His position is a very difficult one.

Sloane was non-existent half the year and we made the GF. Pyke is being severely hamstrung by his off-field staff, and if rumour has it hes being howled down at selection too.

If he’s that tied the he needs to resign......

I refuse to believe the coach can’t drop hacks like Mackay and Atkins.

You realise all those coaches weren’t winning at the time of there sacking? They only got sacked once they stopped winning. Malthouse signed that dumb contract then the Pies became a Powerhouse had he known and had Eddie known what was coming they never would’ve done the deal. Winning covers up the flaws of coaches once they stop winning there is a problem.

You need to look at history

Jewell won a flag in his 2nd year and was sacked after the next year. Nothing to do with winning or losing. When does a premiership coach only get 1 more year?
Hafey took collingwood from bottom and played in 4 GF in the 5.5 years he was there. 67% win loss record. Who else has achieved bottom to GF in their 1st year?

Stan Alves took St Kilda to there 1st minor premiership and GF in decades in 97. Makes finals in 98 and is sacked or contract not renewed.
They give the job to Watson and become a basket case.
St Kilda action was due to win loss. It was due to a stupid board the fans didnt want him sacked.
Same morons that begged Blight to coach them then sack after 15 weeks.

John Cahill gets Power into finals for the 1st time and legend of the club.
They didnt renew his contract based on performance but because they wanted a younger favourite son in Williams.

Based on win/loss hardwicke should have been gone before all these guys except Richmond got a board with half a brain.
Buckley took a Premiership team and GF team and turned them to crap but is still their because hes a favourite son of Eddie. Nothing to do with win/loss.

Craig stayed on way to long only because of Trigg.

If he’s that tied the he needs to resign......

I refuse to believe the coach can’t drop hacks like Mackay and Atkins.
I would agree, I had heard there had been disagreements between he and the other selection committee members.

If this is the case he would be best served quitting, or hope like hell Campo and Clarke don't have deals for next season.

I would agree, I had heard there had been disagreements between he and the other selection committee members.

If this is the case he would be best served quitting, or hope like hell Campo and Clarke don't have deals for next season.
I'd like to see him do a "me or them", get sacked as a result, then blow the roof off the whole toxic place to the media

I'd like to see him do a "me or them", get sacked as a result, then blow the roof off the whole toxic place to the media
One day everything will come out, it'll be cold comfort but interesting

What did Blight do to North? If North had kicked straight in the 1/2 half of that Grand Final, we would have been 10 goals down at 1/2 time. Great 2nd 1/2 by the Crows that game, but there was a huge element of fortune that kept us in that game and that wasn’t due to the earlier R21 match!

Its true they kicked poorly but North kicked 14.21 in round 21 at Adelaide oval.
So adelaide went from losing at home then went on the road travelling the next 5 weeks and beat North away and you reckon Blight did nothing different.
They got beat at home because they didnt know Norths midfield rotations.
He's on the radio maybe you should ask him what they did differently.

I very much doubt that's the case, a weak excuse. If it was the case it says just as much about him as it does others. Football clubs can function really well still if the playing group believe in the coach regardless of anything else. He has lost the playing group and that is on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I very much doubt that's the case, a weak excuse. If it was the csse it says just as much about him as it does others.
I dont think its particularly weak myself

Its true they kicked poorly but North kicked 14.21 in round 21 at Adelaide oval.
So adelaide went from losing at home then went on the road travelling the next 5 weeks and beat North away and you reckon Blight did nothing different.
They got beat at home because they didnt know Norths midfield rotations.
He's on the radio maybe you should ask him what they did differently.

I never said Blight did nothing different, just that it’s worth noting Norths inaccurate 6.15 to our 4.3 (21 scoring shots to 7) kept us in that game at 1/2 time!
He obviously did something at 1/2 time, but I’m sure he would have acknowledged that we where lucky to be only 4 goals down at the half and that’s manageable.

Stan Alves had a pretty decent 2-3 years prior to getting the chop. But Saints aren't exactly a club that you'd look to for a 'how to' book.

I don't doubt that he'd have trouble changing culture at the selection table but I have to question whether he's that different to the 2 failed assistants that he inherited. Everything he says suggests he's fully invested in experience and continuity and the result of those core beliefs is the selection policy we see now and have seen for years. He deserves to have Campo and Clarke help him clear his desk and then welcome their 4th senior coach. He fell into our culture instead of being an agent of change.

It's funny how I read this and didn't for one second think a "me or them" ultimatum would lead to everyone but Pyke getting sacked.

It's just second nature to assume the Crows will protect the boys

I wonder if the stare was Collective Minds theory.

He signed the contract didn’t he?
Because it was preferable to the alternative of being sacked. Buckley was beginning to voice his interest in coaching and McGuire wasn't about to let that happen anywhere else but Collingwood, so he forced the hand-over to avoid a bad look. Malthouse had just won a premiership in 2010, and in 2011 won the minor premiership and was runner-up in the grand final. At the end of 2011 he declined to become Collingwood's "director of coaching" as originally agreed for the hand-over, and two years later he was coaching a rival club. None of what happened suggests he was ready to give up being a senior coach, he handed the reins to a premiership team he built to someone else because he was pushed.

Because it was preferable to the alternative of being sacked. Buckley was beginning to voice his interest in coaching and McGuire wasn't about to let that happen anywhere else but Collingwood, so he forced the hand-over to avoid a bad look. Malthouse had just won a premiership in 2010, and in 2011 won the minor premiership and was runner-up in the grand final. At the end of 2011 he declined to become Collingwood's "director of coaching" as originally agreed for the hand-over, and two years later he was coaching a rival club. None of what happened suggests he was ready to give up being a senior coach, he handed the reins to a premiership team he built to someone else because he was pushed.
No doubt he was pushed. As an outsider looking in the Pies fiasco is hilarious you have a guy who wins you a flag (only your second in 52 years) in charge and you make him hand over the reins to an untried club champion. Eddie should’ve torn the contract up after the 2010 win and or Buckley should’ve done what was best for the club and walked away. He would’ve got a coaching gig somewhere else for sure. I think the Dees were circling at the time. I like Bucks but such a selfish decision on behalf.

I never said Blight did nothing different, just that it’s worth noting Norths inaccurate 6.15 to our 4.3 (21 scoring shots to 7) kept us in that game at 1/2 time!
He obviously did something at 1/2 time, but I’m sure he would have acknowledged that we where lucky to be only 4 goals down at the half and that’s manageable.

round 21 8.12 - 5.5 at half time. same 4 goals down and playing home and lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back