List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2017/2018 - Refreshed (cont in part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was disappointed too... but in retrospect his last two years at the club were awful from a form perspective. I imagine the club sat him down and told him he should explore his options and that there was a mutual split. Doesn’t seem to have left with any animosity or anything.
His last year was bad, the year before that he was stiff to miss the AA extended squad imo.

Paywall. Summarise?

Even better...

AFL to keep two-year contracts for draftees despite clubs pushing for longer deals
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
May 19, 2017 7:30pm
Subscriber only

PRIZED draftees will continue to be vulnerable to poaching raids in their second season after a failed push to increase the length of player contracts.

The Herald Sun can reveal there will be no overhaul to the standard two-year playing contract in the AFL’s new Collective Bargaining Agreement despite a massive push from clubs to double the contract lengths for top draft picks.

CONTRACTS: CLUBS PUSHING FOR LONGER DRAFTEE DEALS

But there will be a major change to the rookie list provisions next season that will allow Category-A rookies to be available for senior selection from Round 1.

Previously Category-A rookies have been forced to wait until a serious injury or other list vacancy to be promoted, but those restrictions will be removed for 2018, giving clubs greater flexibility to promote fringe players.

Brisbane has led the call to increase draftees’ first contracts, with new coach Chris Fagan saying the current two-year model is “borderline ridiculous”, as the club again wrestled with the threat of losing No.2 pick Josh Schache.

1433ce91f307c84d2e93ab0df106f5af

Brisbane forward Josh Schache could be on the move at season’s end. Picture: Getty
Former Lions director Leigh Matthews said Schache’s form was well below expectations in part because “his mind is all over the place”.

Richmond, Collingwood and Carlton are all circling the Seymour goalkicker, while North Melbourne and Melbourne have also been linked to Schache.

James Aish, who was taken pick No.7 in 2013, also walked out on the Lions after two years, along with former Collingwood speedster Nathan Freeman, who quit the club without playing a game.

Fagan on Friday said top draft picks should sign three or four-year contracts to help them settle into life interstate before making big calls on their futures.

The Lions are adamant longer contracts would help protect the northern-states clubs when they were most vulnerable.

“I particularly think for first-round draft picks, it should be three to four years at least before they can consider moving somewhere else, unless there’s some extenuating circumstances,” Fagan said.

“Clubs invest a lot in those first-round picks, and if you’ve got the opportunity to keep them for longer, guaranteed, from a club perspective, that would be fantastic.

“To be thinking about your future two years into a start at a new place and whether you want to go somewhere else is borderline ridiculous.”

e9be1663a73f52096372aae87ea2a8ec

James Aish left Brisbane for Collingwood at the end of his second season. Picture: Phil Hillyard
5346bec4b1ac1d5592a93f34510d0243

Nathan Freeman left Collingwood for St Kilda without playing a game. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
But the AFL Players’ Association and leading player agents have strongly resisted the push to increase contract lengths, saying it added unnecessary restriction to player movement and was difficult to predetermine a player’s worth in their third season, especially for top-line talents such as Carlton’s Patrick Cripps and Western Bulldogs’ Marcus Bontempelli.

Players earn up to $73,660 plus $3605 in match payments in their first year and $96,685 plus $5225 in their second year.

The third season would be calculated using historical data on players’ averages wages and games played.

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

Former AFL operations manager Mark Evans, who has since become Gold Coast chief executive, said there was resistance to the contract increase movement.

“The Players’ Association have some concerns. They wonder how you would value a third year player’s contract given there’s a fair variety or variance in what a third-year player might earn depending on how many games he’s played in his first two years,” Evans said last year.

“But they also think that a player should have the right, given that they’re drafted and have no say where they go, that they should have some rights particularly if they were (taken) in the first round.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/00c588b10a7019172d956967259d16a0

It's such a Pub competition........making rule changes on the fly.

Leave the game alone.......ffs.

I don't understand how rotations will cleanly work (those rotations on field and those involving the bench) if they have zones.

My biggest issue is whether this state of the game argument is just this year or if it has been a build up? I seem to recall last year being praised as one of the most even seasons ever.

I still strongly believe that this season is muddied because there are 6+ teams tanking to make the most of a strong draft.

What actually happened with Marley Williams?
Looked the goods, even Bux said at one point Marley almost never gets beaten.

Then he's gone for next to nix.

Going well for the Roos.

Such a shame.
I think he was a victim of the ball butchers purge.
Was going around at the time.

I was disappointed too... but in retrospect his last two years at the club were awful from a form perspective. I imagine the club sat him down and told him he should explore his options and that there was a mutual split. Doesn’t seem to have left with any animosity or anything.
And at the end we shipped him to his preferred destination for a set of plastic knives.

It's such a Pub competition........making rule changes on the fly.

Leave the game alone.......ffs.

Suspect you're still dirty on a certain rule change that came about in the 2010/11 off-season...?

I'm not opposed to a change in the rules if there's a genuine problem in the game that needs to be removed. But it has to be based on actual evidence, not what happened on the weekend at any particular time. The sample size can't just be a couple of s**t games that Mark Robinson didn't like watching between benders. Which is why any proposed changes should be trialed over a period of at least three pre-season series. Even then, using the pre-season series as a testing ground is problematic, given clubs only use it to get their players right for Round 1.

That being said, in regards to starting positions at centre bounces, I would not be philosophically opposed to it. Again though, trialed in the pre-season over a period of time, out in the open, not at Etihad in star chamber with Clarko's mob over a cup of coffee...

What actually happened with Marley Williams?
Looked the goods, even Bux said at one point Marley almost never gets beaten.

Then he's gone for next to nix.

Going well for the Roos.

Such a shame.
He was a w***er offield and his form was crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paywall. Summarise?

Sorry...
PRIZED draftees will continue to be vulnerable to poaching raids in their second season after a failed push to increase the length of player contracts.

The Herald Sun can reveal there will be no overhaul to the standard two-year playing contract in the AFL’s new Collective Bargaining Agreement despite a massive push from clubs to double the contract lengths for top draft picks.

CONTRACTS: CLUBS PUSHING FOR LONGER DRAFTEE DEALS

But there will be a major change to the rookie list provisions next season that will allow Category-A rookies to be available for senior selection from Round 1.

Previously Category-A rookies have been forced to wait until a serious injury or other list vacancy to be promoted, but those restrictions will be removed for 2018, giving clubs greater flexibility to promote fringe players.

Brisbane has led the call to increase draftees’ first contracts, with new coach Chris Fagan saying the current two-year model is “borderline ridiculous”, as the club again wrestled with the threat of losing No.2 pick Josh Schache.

Former Lions director Leigh Matthews said Schache’s form was well below expectations in part because “his mind is all over the place”.

Richmond, Collingwood and Carlton are all circling the Seymour goalkicker, while North Melbourne and Melbourne have also been linked to Schache.

James Aish, who was taken pick No.7 in 2013, also walked out on the Lions after two years, along with former Collingwood speedster Nathan Freeman, who quit the club without playing a game.

Fagan on Friday said top draft picks should sign three or four-year contracts to help them settle into life interstate before making big calls on their futures.

The Lions are adamant longer contracts would help protect the northern-states clubs when they were most vulnerable.

“I particularly think for first-round draft picks, it should be three to four years at least before they can consider moving somewhere else, unless there’s some extenuating circumstances,” Fagan said.

“Clubs invest a lot in those first-round picks, and if you’ve got the opportunity to keep them for longer, guaranteed, from a club perspective, that would be fantastic.

“To be thinking about your future two years into a start at a new place and whether you want to go somewhere else is borderline ridiculous.”
But the AFL Players’ Association and leading player agents have strongly resisted the push to increase contract lengths, saying it added unnecessary restriction to player movement and was difficult to predetermine a player’s worth in their third season, especially for top-line talents such as Carlton’s Patrick Cripps and Western Bulldogs’ Marcus Bontempelli.

Players earn up to $73,660 plus $3605 in match payments in their first year and $96,685 plus $5225 in their second year.

The third season would be calculated using historical data on players’ averages wages and games played.
89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

Former AFL operations manager Mark Evans, who has since become Gold Coast chief executive, said there was resistance to the contract increase movement.

“The Players’ Association have some concerns. They wonder how you would value a third year player’s contract given there’s a fair variety or variance in what a third-year player might earn depending on how many games he’s played in his first two years,” Evans said last year.

“But they also think that a player should have the right, given that they’re drafted and have no say where they go, that they should have some rights particularly if they were (taken) in the first round.”

Iirc it was 2 years prior, as wasn’t one of his last two decimated by injury somewhat and the other plain terrible? That’s how I remember it anyway.
Nah he was quite good in his second last year.

You might be thinking of the year before that where some didn't rate his year but I always dissagreed.

I have been informed, one way or the other it has to be counted in this or next year's cap.The $ can be negotiated however, majority of the time the players don't take a lesser amount
I'll re-phrase.
Given majority of players are reluctant to walk away from a contract empty-handed, the adjusted figure needs to be shown somewhere.
In this instance, we're talking about 2019 $ so they can either be shown in the 2018 cap or the 2019 cap.
Presumably the 2018 cap is full, therefore it will be shown in the 2019 cap.
I haven't heard back re the trigger clause aspect.
#nosmugnesshere

I'll re-phrase.
Given majority of players are reluctant to walk away from a contract empty-handed, the adjusted figure needs to be shown somewhere.
In this instance, we're talking about 2019 $ so they can either be shown in the 2018 cap or the 2019 cap.
#nosmugnesshere

Put a fork in this one. Pickers on SEN less than two minutes ago was unequivocal that he’ll be playing on. If there was ever a trigger clause he’s met it.

I'll re-phrase.
#nosmugnesshere

Getting warmer. When it comes to the cap, forget about triggers etc - they are contractual issues which then determine whether there is a contract for a future year, $ conditions etc.

All the cap is concerned with is actual payments in a relevant year which can alter by negotiation. Unless there is an exception like RFA the re-negotiated figure that gets paid is all that matters.

Will be great to see Wells running around next year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Put a fork in this one. Pickers on SEN less than two minutes ago was unequivocal that he’ll be playing on. If there was ever a trigger clause he’s met it.

I watched the Melbourne game again on Sunday and Wells is seriously rocking the dad bod at the moment. :eek:

If he is going to play on next year I hope he comes back in a better condition than the last two years.

Was told this morning that teams are targeting Harry McKay (Carlton) (He's contracted) and think he's gettable due to Carlton likely getting Pick 1 and with the likely picking up Lukosius. Two main clubs going for Lynch see him as Plan B sorter apparently.

Like him a lot but then again like Lynch a lot too. Would be nice but Carlton wouldn't deal with us.

If Moore opted to leave:
Moore to Sydney (Sydney keen and Lloyd wants back to Victoria)
Lloyd to Carlton (Get Lukosius in draft and Lloyd replaces an aging Simpson)
McKay to Collingwood (Like for Like, Pick 10 vs Pick 9, 2014 vs 2015 draft)

If Moore opted to leave:
Moore to Sydney (Sydney keen and Lloyd wants back to Victoria)
Lloyd to Carlton (Get Lukosius in draft and Lloyd replaces an aging Simpson)
McKay to Collingwood (Like for Like, Pick 10 vs Pick 9, 2014 vs 2015 draft)
How good is your info that "Sydney are keen"?
On the weekend I heard they weren't and never really were

Collingwood
Collingwood secure boom youngsters Jaidyn Stephenson, Matthew Scharenberg and free agent Ben Reid
Jay Clark, Herald Sun
12 minutes ago
Subscriber only
COLLINGWOOD is poised to announce a raft of major re-signings including highly talented pair Jaidyn Stephenson and Matthew Scharenberg and free agent Ben Reid.

The Herald Sun can reveal Scharenberg has agreed to a two-year extension, which will keep him at the club until the end of 2020.

First-year speedster and Rising Star favourite Stephenson has also committed his future to the club four months into a brilliant debut AFL season.

The club has also secured the futures of Callum and Tyler Brown, Brayden Sier and big man Max Lynch.

Crucial swing man Reid is believed to have signed a one-year deal.

The Magpies are also extremely confident of signing in-demand forward star Jordan De Goey and emerging key position player Darcy Moore.

Scharenberg’s signature is a major coup for the club with the gun defender in the midst of a career-best season after a horrific injury run including dual knee reconstructions.

The two South Australian clubs have been keeping a close eye on the No.6 draft pick.

But the gun half-back is determined to repay the faith the club has shown in him throughout his early injury struggles.

The contract extensions are further good news for the club as it looks to break its four-year finals drought this season. The much-improved Magpies are in sixth position with an 8-4 record heading into Sunday’s huge clash against traditional rival Carlton at the MCG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back