West Coast sets new AFL/VFL record & 80K members

Remove this Banner Ad

I think WCE are also the most disliked non Vic team due to the run they get with the Umpires, booing, drug saga etc.
Uncanny parralels with the Nazi Party and Kim Jongs army used to get the best crowds to their rallies also.

The green eyed monster role is you to a tee .... :)

Good result for the club, however, one has to ask why the club needs to charge as much as it does. It is not a for profit entity, so why does it pull in way more money that it needs to perform it's function? That goes against the ethics of a not-for-profit entity.

NFPs still need to pay for staff, facilities, other running costs, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly who cares? They have a brand new stadium so of course everyone wants to be going to the footy all the time and when the team is on top it helps may turn into port like crowds once he nostalgia of the new stadium wears off of on field performances fall away
"Brand new stadium" - yep, a factor for sure. On the flipside though, the large price hike for seats at this stadium had me seriously questioning where I was prepared to sit this year. It remains to be seen how good the retention rate will be for next season now that everyone has had a taste of Optus.
"Team on top" - obviously a huge boost, although during the off-season there was no expectation that we'd be any good this year. That plus the price jump still didn't come close to clearing the waiting list for seated members. (I was sure that the increased capacity would do that. Must be frustrating as hell still being on that waiting list!)
"Honestly who cares?" - quality way to start any post :rolleyes:

Revenue will be way up due to increased numbers x increased prices. I'll be interested to know how the profit is affect though, because I'll bet it is costing the club a fortune to play out of Optus compared to Subi.

And yes, it is disappointing and a little strange to me that there are so many members yet still a lot of empty seats at each game. I know the club was forced to hold back more seats per game than they wanted to for opposition supporters and walk-ups, but I'm still a bit surprised that those don't end up getting bought. I can only guess that most people like to plan things in advance and are turned off by hassle of scrambling for a ticket the day before a game.

48k v St Kilda in Round 10
43k v Freo in Round 7
32k v Brisbane in Round 4

I doubt they've drawn 50k to a home game against interstate opposition 7 times in their history.

Yeah fair enough.

Not sure why Richmond supporters are shitting on the milestone then. Their comments give the impression that they have achieved more than this, not less than this.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2018-06-25/eagles-achieve-new-membership-record

90K? Or 80k?

And yeh VFL boys dont bother looking at such low records. 50k in consecutive games? Cmon. Vic teams look at 60k, 70k, 80k, 90k. But 50k is nice I guess for the new baby boy interstate teams :)

50k? That’s cute. Get 90k to 4 straight games.

Well considering the Perth Stadium can't seat more than 60k, its pretty stupid to even make that comparison. Not all of us can have the advantages of a home ground at the MCG.

Why the state government isn't lobbying the AFL for a third team is ludicrous.

Because who would they target? People north of the river generally go for WC, and south of the river go for Freo. I don't know what untapped market they'd go for. Joondalup has been shopped around, but Joondalup people go for WC. I personally don't see many people jumping ship, if anything, it wouldn't expand the game, it would just cut into Freo and WC profits and cause no actual increase in revenues.

Dunno why people care about crowd attendance, if your team is doing well why does it matter? If West Coast were only getting 20,000 for crowds every week but still playing as well as they have, would it matter? Success over crowd numbers.

Why the state government isn't lobbying the AFL for a third team is ludicrous.

There's a lot a Freo supporters out there who jumped ship from the Eagles last time the 'new team' started. How many of them will join the 'new team' again. Fremantle has more to loose than the Eagles if there were to be a third WA team.

2018 games vs interstate opposition (ie, minimal padding of numbers by opposition supporters)

West Coast (7 games) 53k average
Adelaide (6) 45k
Fremantle (5) 43k
Port Adelaide (6) 38k
Richmond (2) 38k
Essendon (2) 37k
Collingwood (2) 33k
Sydney (7) 32k
Geelong (2) 28k
Carlton (3) 26k
St Kilda (4) 21k
Western Bulldogs (4) 20k
Brisbane (6) 18k
Hawthorn (4) 16k
North Melbourne (4) 15k
Gold Coast (4) 11k
GWS (6) 10k

• Fremantle excludes 'away' game vs Gold Coast in Perth
  • Bulldogs includes game in Ballarat
  • Hawthorn includes all games played in Launceston
  • North Melbourne includes all games played in Hobart
  • Gold Coast includes home games at Cazaly's, Metricon and the Gabba
  • Melbourne are yet to play an interstate club in Victoria. Their one 'home game' against interstate opposition was against Adelaide in Alice Springs, which drew 7k.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back