Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

not so sure about that , but hawthorn and Tasmania have been good for each other granted , that said many non football loving Tasmanians would consider the huge money thrown at the hawks unjustified. don't think in the current climate Kennetts coments as constructive , all he is doing is mouthing off for political gain , not helping hawthorns position in Tasmania one bit

Agree, main problem is Tasmania's economy has been on the rocks for some time now. Despite recent stimulus measures Tassie has the smallest population growth, highest unemployment rate, weakest retail spending and the lowest construction and new housing industry in Australia. I visited my home state earlier this year and have never seen so many 2nd hand shops, Chicken Feed, Vinnes etc. appearing around Hobart. If it wasn't for tourism and to a lesser extent a few nich export commodities, Tassie would be a ghost town!
Accordingly while local footy people are passionate about having their own team, unless Tassie find a billionaire sponsor the financial risk of such a venture will simply not be accepted by the non-football public...

Agree, main problem is Tasmania's economy has been on the rocks for some time now. Despite recent stimulus measures Tassie has the smallest population growth, highest unemployment rate, weakest retail spending and the lowest construction and new housing industry in Australia. I visited my home state earlier this year and have never seen so many 2nd hand shops, Chicken Feed, Vinnes etc. appearing around Hobart. If it wasn't for tourism and to a lesser extent a few nich export commodities, Tassie would be a ghost town!
Accordingly while local footy people are passionate about having their own team, unless Tassie find a billionaire sponsor the financial risk of such a venture will simply not be accepted by the non-football public...

Then of course you have the North vs South pissing match.

Odd that Jeff has said that Shorten is unprecedented in using sport to win votes - there is constant vote-buying in sports. Usually more to do with stadium funding than anything else - but it's certainly not uncommon. Not a Shorten enthusiast by any measure - but really odd to have gone after him on that one. Maybe Jeff needs to remember what should go in members letters and what should go on Twitter.

A member of my extended family used to staff for an ex-premier and part of their job was to meet with every single Victorian club and discuss what the state could do for them.

We are going to need gov funding for our redevelopment too.

What you fail to see is that two AFL teams currently fly over to Tassie whereas only one team would fly over to play a Tassie team, so once again Jeff hit the nail right on the head thus it would impact the tourism and Hospitality industry.
How many home games would they play ? We don't get 65k worth of members flying over for all the games, of the 8k supporters that turn up on average lately most would be islanders.

Nah tourism would lose nothing.

How many home games would they play ? We don't get 65k worth of members flying over for all the games, of the 8k supporters that turn up on average lately most would be islanders.

Nah tourism would lose nothing.

Not according to the figures provided to the government and club by PwC.

Not according to the figures provided to the government and club by PwC.
Okay,
Do the numbers in the MONA gallery more people would travel to see that than all the footy games combined, I did and I'm still in therapy because of it.

Hawthorn would hurt more without Tassie rather than the other way around IMHO.

Purely opinion.

Okay,
Do the numbers in the MONA gallery more people would travel to see that than all the footy games combined, I did and I'm still in therapy because of it.

Hawthorn would hurt more without Tassie rather than the other way around IMHO.

Purely opinion.

Well MONA and the Hawks are both things I cling to to defend government investment in both sport and cultural events. Anything that brings in tourism dollars is good to me.

Being that Launceston’s biggest selling point is a gorge, some monkeys and a bloody good steak restaurant - I think having a few thousand fans stay over for each Hawks game is a nice little shot in the arm.

Apologies to those in Launceston reading this. Great little town and I enjoy my time there.

Well MONA and the Hawks are both things I cling to to defend government investment in both sport and cultural events. Anything that brings in tourism dollars is good to me.

Being that Launceston’s biggest selling point is a gorge, some monkeys and a bloody good steak restaurant - I think having a few thousand fans stay over for each Hawks game is a nice little shot in the arm.

Apologies to those in Launceston reading this.
Great little town and I enjoy my time there.
And a big shout out to all the scum fans lurking here!

I have no idea why this post was switched to this thread,as was in reply to a comment about knowing your limits.
It has absolutely nothing to do with Jeff Kennett ...... well not originally :)

Last edited:
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One saying that makes me chuckle is the saying. "Tempting fate" because if you believe in fate then you tempt it all you like, because fate is set in stone.

A salesman at a marketplace tries to convince his customer to buy a lucky horse shoe. The customer is clearly not interested and says: "No thanks, i don't believe in lucky horse shoes". The salesman puts the lucky horse shoe in a bag for the customer and says: "That's okay, it still works even if you don't believe in it".

Apologies to those in Launceston reading this. Great little town and I enjoy my time there.

That's several bloody good steak Restaurants!

And plenty of Wineries within a 20 minute drive.

NFI if we've got anything else here, that's about all i care about tbh! :)

That's several bloody good steak Restaurants!

And plenty of Wineries within a 20 minute drive.

NFI if we've got anything else here, that's about all i care about tbh! :)

Will have to hit the other restaurants up on my next visit. However, The Black Cow was bloody sensational and leaps and bounds ahead of most of the steak places in Melbourne. Would be hard to skip it again.

Boags vs Cascade, yep that's been happening for as long as I can remember - and people still talk about the infamous (remove the goal posts) 1967 state premiership grand final in Burnie which Dad play in.

i remember going to uni in hobart and noone and i mean noone sold Boags. Finally found one bottle shop that did.

the ntfa and nwfl playing off worked (i went as a kid to a final at York Park and it was rammed) but the TFL never really worked. It got so bad that amateur teams in Launceston were paying more than TFL teams like South Launceston.

Anyway re economic argument - who would cost lest to AFL, GC or Tas team?

whatever happens you wouldnt trust the AFL not to screw the Hawks.

Will have to hit the other restaurants up on my next visit. However, The Black Cow was bloody sensational and leaps and bounds ahead of most of the steak places in Melbourne. Would be hard to skip it again.
Jailhouse Grill and Cataract On Paterson are awesome.
Cataract is often booked out a week a two in advance. And that's non-footy Weeks.
Couple of nice little bars about. St Johns Craft Beer and Tandys Alehouse. And a new Whiskey Bar - The Grumpy Piper.

I wouldn't suggest anywhere i don't go myself tbh.

Jailhouse Grill and Cataract On Paterson are awesome.
Cataract is often booked out a week a two in advance. And that's non-footy Weeks.
Couple of nice little bars about. St Johns Craft Beer and Tandys Alehouse. And a new Whiskey Bar - The Grumpy Piper.

I wouldn't suggest anywhere i don't go myself tbh.

Hi mate, as you are a local, are there any good seafood places in Launceston?

I travel down for one game each year, would love to have good seafood.

Hi mate, as you are a local, are there any good seafood places in Launceston?

I travel down for one game each year, would love to have good seafood.

Hallams Seafood restaurant is generally ok. I'm not big on seafood myself.
Cataract on Paterson has a big assed seafood platter.

I'll throw a link to their Menu here: http://www.cataractonpaterson.com.au/menu/

And no, i'm not involved in any of these places in any way, shape or form. :)

Hallams Seafood restaurant is generally ok. I'm not big on seafood myself.
Cataract on Paterson has a big assed seafood platter.

I'll throw a link to their Menu here: http://www.cataractonpaterson.com.au/menu/

And no, i'm not involved in any of these places in any way, shape or form. :)

I thought you’d be surrounded by seafood there?

Hey that menu looks damn good!
I’m looking forward to the game next year already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back