Opinion Jeff Kennett News, Media etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to burst your bubble but you'd be naive in thinking Hawthorn supporters were immune to switching to the Crows when they joined. Back when I lived in Adelaide I knew one and worked with another who use to support Hawthorn but switched to the Crows (but still had a soft spot for the Hawks). All teams had supporters who were lost when state teams were formed.
Came across this a lot in Perth also, it is very common. Knew a fair few who had a soft spot for Hawthorn as they used to follow them, but switched to the Eagles so they could show some state pride and go to a game frequently. Think we're up their for supporters in WA also, quite a lot.

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2018-07-05/letter-to-members-cyril-an-icon

President Jeff Kennett has penned the following letter to members...

Well hello happy Hawkers.

It has been a busy few weeks.

Let me start this letter by talking about Cyril’s retirement from the game.

Read: Rioli calls time on decorated career

Importantly, as he said himself yesterday when addressing the players, he is not retiring from Hawthorn.

He is very grateful for the opportunities Hawthorn and its people have given him, and he will always be Hawthorn.

But after 11 years at the club, so far away from his home, the time was right for him to return to where so many of his family live.

It has not been an easy decision for Cyril and he has been talking to senior people at the club since October last year, so his decision yesterday was carefully arrived at after a lot of thought and discussion with many people. Family, friends, Hawthorn personnel and of course his management team.

Cyril has been an outstanding footballer, but as his reputation grew his ego did not. He finishes his career as humble an individual as when he started his career with us in 2008.

Of course, he is an extremely talented player. His electric speed, his pursuit of an opponent was akin to watching a lion or cheetah chase and bring down its prey, his multiple turns on a sixpence as he ducked and weaved his way into and out of so many situations, and finally his disposals whether by hand or foot excited the heart of every AFL supporter.

Bear in mind the average length of an AFL player’s career is 4.5 years, that we have had Cyril as part of Hawthorn for 11 years has been a bonus and in so many ways over the norm.

While many of us will be disappointed we will not see Cyril again on the field in the brown and gold, it is better to have seen him than never had him as part of our sport.

And remember Cyril has not died, he has only retired! He has completed one phase of his life, and now starts another. He starts the next lap with our blessing and support. I have a feeling once he has settled back with his family in Darwin, given six months to build his new nest, if he wishes, there will be an ongoing role for him with Hawthorn. But that will be Cyril’s choice, when the time is right.

So much is written about Cyril and his contribution to the game in the papers today by people whose expertise is more profound than mine, I can only direct you to those articles.

Suffice to say having joined us in 2007 Cyril has been an inspiring contributor to our game and has been a major ingredient in our last four premierships

But please remember my oft repeated comment, no individual wins on their own, teams of people do. Even Cyril Rioli could not win a premiership on his own. He has been an exciting craftsman in some wonderful teams. Together with their coaches and staff they have saluted four times in 10 years! Not a bad achievement.

Cyril Rioli, an icon at Hawthorn, but also an icon to the code.

We thank him for his service, we wish he and his family well for the rest of their lives.

I have already invited him back to our Peter Crimmins Medal night, our best and fairest, at years’ end. In the meantime, Cyril Rioli has well and truly earnt his place in the Hawthorn Football Club's history and has delivered a standard of play that will be hard to equal.

Talking of football!

We continue to be in the hunt for the final eight. But it is getting tight. It was disappointing that again last week we let GWS get ahead of us early. We fought back twice which excited us all but we weren’t able to finish the game with the four points.

I suspect the first six positions on the ladder have almost been locked away. 7th and 8th position will be decided between any number of teams. Wins of course will be pivotal, but final percentage will determine the last two positions.

So, onto our game this weekend against the Western Bulldogs. It will be a tough encounter. The Dogs have been playing well. But if you can’t win the tough games you simply do not deserve to be in the top eight. So, it is up to us again to prove our worth.

I do ask as many as possible to attend the game at Etihad on Saturday night. Our players are lifted by the sound of our voices, so I look forward to seeing you there. Finally, I have spent the last few days signing thousands of letters to those of our members who have not re-joined this year. For any one of many reasons there is an attrition rate among all clubs every year.

So those of you who are reading this letter who have not re-joined and will be getting my letters in the mail please do so if you can. We need your support and we are 700 memberships short of our target of 80,000 members. That in its self is a wonderful improvement from when I first joined you as President in 2005 when our membership was about 28,000. But we set ourselves targets to continually improve.

I think at this rate we will be third in club membership behind Richmond and Adelaide. The Tigers might even hit 100,000 members this year which is extraordinary, but ours is an equally wonderful achievement. However, I do want to hit 80,000 so please sign up before lists close in two weeks.

Well enough from me today.

Just remember life is all about change. Nothing stands still. And it is change that makes life interesting. As Cyril retires new faces are stepping up to be the holders of our next piece of silverware.

I am excited, I hope you are too!

Go Hawks and have a good day.

Jeff Kennett President

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2018-07-11/letter-to-members-tasmania

President Jeff Kennett has penned the following letter to Hawthorn members...

Morning all.

Well we are still in the hunt to be playing footy in the month of September, but one game at a time.

That said, if we can replicate the second half of last week’s game across a consistent four quarters of football it will be exciting!

Read: Hawks growing more dangerous

Sadly last week’s win was tainted by the injury to Ben McEvoy. He is recuperating after his surgery, but the club will run no risks with his return to full recovery. As we all know, football is at times a brutal game, and serious injuries often occur. We wish Ben a speedy recovery.

I saw our VFL team storm to victory at Etihad Stadium before our clash with the Dogs on Saturday night. Congratulations to the team on a convincing win. The Box Hill Hawks now sit in 5th position on the VFL ladder with the challenge ahead of them to make finals. But they are well and truly in the race.

I followed up a Saturday full of football with a Sunday spent watching our VFLW team play against Williamstown. It was a tough game with the lead changing several times after Williamstown got off to a flying start in the first quarter, with four goals to our one.

But our girls never gave up, and in an exciting finish came from behind in the last minute and a half to win by four points.

Our VFLW team now sit in second position on the ladder and are fit and firing. I do encourage any members who can, to come and watch our VFLW team. It is a fun outing, they are carrying our colours proudly and they deserve our voices in support.

Our VFLW team has two more home games at the Box Hill ground. The first being Sunday August 12 at 2pm against Western Bulldogs, the 2018 AFLW premiers. The second is against our good friends Geelong on Saturday August 25 at 11.30am. I hope many of you can make the effort to join us at both or either game. I know our girls will appreciate the support.

There has been a crass intervention in the Tasmanian discussion over fielding their own team in the AFL.

Crass, because Bill Shorten has said if the Labor Party win the next federal election they will commit $25m towards the establishment of an AFL team if the AFL are to licence a team in Tassie.

It is the first time I can remember a Federal political party attempting to win votes by getting directly involved in the administration of sport at a club level.

In doing so, Bill has set a precedent for every other code of sport, for every other club. Such foolishness will come back and bite him on the backside if he does win the next federal election.

But consider the foolishness of his offer.

A Tasmanian team would make the number of clubs in the competition 19. That is just not feasible for scheduling or to attract sufficient players of high enough standard to be competitive.

For there to be a Tasmanian team, it will mean one current AFL team will have to re-locate permanently to Tasmania, one will have to drop out of the competition, or two existing clubs will have to merge.

Speaking on behalf of Hawthorn, there is no way we will merge with another club. We tried that once and will never again, nor will we drop out of the competition. I also don’t think we would ever re-locate in full to Tassie, as much as we love playing there.

Bill Shorten’s comments were nonspecific as to how the $25m would be spent, and over what time.

He did say the money would be split across “grassroots footy,” to improve facilities and grounds.

So, what is actually left to support a fully blown stand alone Tasmanian AFL team? Next to nothing.

You could field a Tasmanian AFL team for approximately $30m a year at a bare minimum. To be competitive it would need the AFL to direct most of the top draft picks towards the Tasmanian team, as they did for GWS.

But draft picks are young lads who often need up to five years to develop and hone their skills. This in turn runs the risk of the Tasmanian team being non-competitive for a number of years. Even that might be acceptable if the team could be sustained throughout that period.

So where would the $30m come from as the barest minimum to support an AFL team?

The AFL provides just over $10m to each team to fund the majority of the player payments each year. The soft cap for the football department of each club is approximately $10m a year, that the clubs have to raise. Let’s assume the Tasmanian Government end their contracts with Hawthorn and North Melbourne in 4 years’ time, add a few more million to the monies they are currently paying those clubs, making it say $10m a year, that would leave the Tasmanian club finding another $10m a year just to reach the absolute minimum amount required to field a non-competitive team.

Would the AFL provide that money?

Don’t get me wrong. I am not against a Tasmanian team, but I want it to be viable. I do not want it to start and then collapse for any one of many reasons.

The average operating cost of the 18 teams in the AFL today is $45m. That is a long way from the minimum I have suggested here. Another $15m every year.

There is one other factor I would like those advocating for a Tasmanian team to consider. And I am only speaking from a Hawthorn perspective, I cannot speak for North Melbourne.

Hawthorn has been in Tasmania for the best part of 18 years. We have been building our relationship with the Tasmanian community for years. That is evidenced by the number of Tasmanian members we have.

But as important is the impact on Tasmania’s economy in both the north and south. Not only do thousands of our mainland members travel to Tassie every game, but increasingly they are staying for two or three days and longer. Many are now taking family holidays in Tassie, away from the games, as are our corporates.

Independent research released earlier this year stated Hawthorn’s presence in Tasmania brings in $30m a year in economic activity and that’s before you consider the promotion of Tasmania we deliver that attracts others to the island state.

If Tasmania has its own team, much of that economic value will disappear. Tasmanians will of course attend their home games, but as we see the AFL will rarely allow the bigger teams to play in Tasmania because it will substantially reduce their attendances at games overall. That fact and television ratings is what drives the value of media rights.

So, I fear a Tasmanian team, regardless of how it performs will negatively affect the hospitality and tourism industry in Tasmania.

All that said, no political party in Government has had the courage to be specific about what it wants. They should do so. I laugh at the Labor party that is now advocating a Tasmanian team, when in Government under David Bartlett or Lara Giddings they had the opportunity to do something and they did nothing.

Jim Bacon and Paul Lennon, were a lot more realistic and honest with their community. They opted for the current model.

One thing I am sure of, given our considerable efforts over many years, and my continued promotion of Tasmania, is if Hawthorn is not wanted in Tasmania, just tell us and we will go back to the mainland.

The best Tasmanian’s can do is embrace the model released by the AFL last month, and use it as an opportunity to build the case for their own AFL team someday.

For now, we are preparing to contest our next game in Launceston on Saturday

Go Hawks.

Jeff Kennett

Umm Jeff is a passionate man but his comments in regard to what would be the impact on the hospitality and tourism industry be should Tassie have its own team? Umm none Jeff none, if they were to play a minimum of the same number of home games that are currently played between North and Hawks then the impact would be no difference as a rough guess the visiting members and supporters form other clubs would be the same, come on Jeff do you think nobody is going to get on the boat or plane and follow their team or is it only Hawthorn people that do that.
I worry about you Jeff if that is the level of your thinking.

Umm Jeff is a passionate man but his comments in regard to what would be the impact on the hospitality and tourism industry be should Tassie have its own team? Umm none Jeff none, if they were to play a minimum of the same number of home games that are currently played between North and Hawks then the impact would be no difference as a rough guess the visiting members and supporters form other clubs would be the same, come on Jeff do you think nobody is going to get on the boat or plane and follow their team or is it only Hawthorn people that do that.
I worry about you Jeff if that is the level of your thinking.
What you fail to see is that two AFL teams currently fly over to Tassie whereas only one team would fly over to play a Tassie team, so once again Jeff hit the nail right on the head thus it would impact the tourism and Hospitality industry.

What you fail to see is that two AFL teams currently fly over to Tassie whereas only one team would fly over to play a Tassie team, so once again Jeff hit the nail right on the head thus it would impact the tourism and Hospitality industry.
But they’d be playing more games in Tassie with their own side, than is currently happening:

Hawks 4 in Launceston
Roos 3 in Hobart

I don't understand your logic as Tassie will be hosting 11 or 12 home games vs a combined 7 with the Hawks and Roos matches currently...
Tourism dollars aside I agree with Jeff that the biggest issue for a Tassie team is the ongoing economic viability. The State government certainly can't afford it and I doubt and Federal government will provide funds beyond establishment costs...

This year HAwthron, Roos, Blues and Saints play in Tassie.
If they had their own team, at least half of the team that never play there but could bring travelling fans (Pies, Tigers, Bombers, Cats, Dees, Mayne even Crows and Swans), would play there each season plus Probably Hawks and Roos so there would be way more travelling fans compared to Hawks and Roos fans split over 7 games,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year HAwthron, Roos, Blues and Saints play in Tassie.
If they had their own team, at least half of the team that never play there but could bring travelling fans (Pies, Tigers, Bombers, Cats, Dees, Mayne even Crows and Swans), would play there each season plus Probably Hawks and Roos so there would be way more travelling fans compared to Hawks and Roos fans split over 7 games,

Agree with some of what you have said. Actually this year's fixture in Tassie features 9 clubs; Hawks V Saints/Port/Suns/Lions and Roos V Blues/GWS/Eagles.
Despite the proposal unfortunately some of the bigger clubs including Tigers/Pies/Swans/Cats/Crows who have never played in Tassie will continue to stay away mainly for economic reasons...

Came across this a lot in Perth also, it is very common. Knew a fair few who had a soft spot for Hawthorn as they used to follow them, but switched to the Eagles so they could show some state pride and go to a game frequently. Think we're up their for supporters in WA also, quite a lot.

Can confirm

I remember chatting to an employee at the AFL store here years ago, and they were saying that the Hawks would've been in the top 2-3 of non-WA clubs coming through for membership in WA.

Seeing a few more Geelong fans these days than I remember in times past - those years from 2004-2013 when they were right up there must've paid off with the younger generations. I suspect our time from 2007-2016 should do the same.

Very poor by Jeff to play politics with the HFC. He can't keep his foot out of his mouth, picking unnecessary fights that provide no benefit to our club. I look forward to him leaving the club.

Odd that Jeff has said that Shorten is unprecedented in using sport to win votes - there is constant vote-buying in sports. Usually more to do with stadium funding than anything else - but it's certainly not uncommon. Not a Shorten enthusiast by any measure - but really odd to have gone after him on that one. Maybe Jeff needs to remember what should go in members letters and what should go on Twitter.

not sure the locals will be very happy with his attempt at blackmail ! the state throws a lot of money to the hawks , a lot of money and most times 4 wins a season , believe me hawkers this is not a one way street , Kennett with be better served to shut up and stay above politics

Very poor by Jeff to play politics with the HFC. He can't keep his foot out of his mouth, picking unnecessary fights that provide no benefit to our club. I look forward to him leaving the club.

Agreed. I can recall at least one other time this year when he has brought his politics to the club and it is wrong. He needs to get rid of it or leave. I wonder how people around the club feel about his using it for his own political platform and if this is/will impact attracting new people or have existing people at the club rethinking their positions (players and admin). He's got history of getting in the way and having run ins from the past. I thought he was the right person for the time when he first became president but it is looking all so wrong this time. It's got me thinking.

not sure the locals will be very happy with his attempt at blackmail ! the state throws a lot of money to the hawks , a lot of money and most times 4 wins a season , believe me hawkers this is not a one way street , Kennett with be better served to shut up and stay above politics

The Tasmanian economy gets a $7.50 return for every $1 spent on the Hawks sponsorship. You’re right - it’s not a one way street.

not so sure about that , but hawthorn and Tasmania have been good for each other granted , that said many non football loving Tasmanians would consider the huge money thrown at the hawks unjustified. don't think in the current climate Kennetts coments as constructive , all he is doing is mouthing off for political gain , not helping hawthorns position in Tasmania one bit

not so sure about that , but hawthorn and Tasmania have been good for each other granted , that said many non football loving Tasmanians would consider the huge money thrown at the hawks unjustified. don't think in the current climate Kennetts coments as constructive , all he is doing is mouthing off for political gain , not helping hawthorns position in Tasmania one bit

Don’t disagree that Jeff’s comments this time were needlessly heated. I also think Tasmania deserves its own team and if the AFL is willing to bankroll unviable teams in Sydney and SEQ then it should do so in Tassie also.

The economic impact isn’t plucked out of thin air though - it’s based on a PwC report.

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/5...s-millions-to-tasmanian-economy-report-shows/

Where does this figure come from?

A PwC report into the economic impact of the Tasmania/Hawthorn FC relationship. My post above yours has the link to a news article about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back