No Oppo Supporters 2018 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No but charges aren’t the right way to bring that change. Education is. This conversation is exhausting because we all have the same end goals here just different opinions on how to get there.
Seriously?

Say your girl is walking through her office on the way to her desk. A bloke from one of the desks near hers is walking the other way, and suddenly lashes out and punches her is the face, breaking her jaw, cracking or dislodging her teeth. He says sorry, with tears in his eyes. He was just joshing and didn't actually mean to hit her.

Are you still saying don't press charges? What about time off work (loss of wages &/or accrued sick leave), who will cover that? The gap in the medical expenses, who will cover that?

Leigh Matthews saying that gaff will have to live with this for the rest of his career, brayshaw will recover in a few weeks.

Hits a bit too close to home does it lethal? You know you didn't have to break Neville Bruns jaw behind play?

This problem arises IMO because of all the argy bargy allowed in the game. Push and shove as much as you want before ball ups, after goals Etcetc. You can rag doll someone, sling them to the ground grab their shirt and slam your hands to abd from the gripped shirt hitting their chests but there is an artificial imaginary line where you can't close your fist. Ffs don't allow the crap and it won't accidentally or intentionally escalate. Make ALL the BS illegal and you rid this.

Assualt is assualt. The guy should be charged

This problem arises IMO because of all the argy bargy allowed in the game. Push and shove as much as you want before ball ups, after goals Etcetc. You can rag doll someone, sling them to the ground grab their shirt and slam your hands to abd from the gripped shirt hitting their chests but there is an artificial imaginary line where you can't close your fist. Ffs don't allow the crap and it won't accidentally or intentionally escalate. Make ALL the BS illegal and you rid this.

Hear hear, agree 100% puke

The first jumper grabbed should be holding the man. Simple. I kind of didn’t mind the Swans “sending a message” after the Carlton embarrassment last year, but the ongoing nature of it shits me.

Dangerous precedent for the courts to be involved. The definition of assault in the courts is far different to that of the field. The Gaff incident is assault but what about other punches? A jumper punch might be a fine but in the courts it’s assault.

Close battle in the coaches' player of the year, 4 players still a legitimate chance with 3 rounds left. And it's the same as the Brownlow favourites: Gawn, Cripps and Mitchell, plus Clayton Oliver

Why on earth wouldn’t the AFL introduce a red card rule? From the point Brayshaw got belted the Eagles had a one man advantage.

Half the guys getting knocked out these days are the result of fair play.

If a red card comes out you'll get a bunch of players unfairly sent off. Happens all the time in codes where cards are handed out.

Playing for cards enters into gamesmanship as well.

You think playing for frees suck? Wait until you see players cynically diving to rub out a dangerous opponent.

It WILL happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I'll say on the Gaff incident - because I generally agree with the length of ban that most on here are coming up with, somewhere in the area of 7-9 weeks seems appropriate, he certainly should not play again this year - is to echo something that one of my least favourite journalists Damien Barrett said this morning. I actually really agreed with what he said, that what I think Gaff was trying to do is what has become commonplace in the game, throwing jabs/punches at people's chests/shoulders/bodies because they know they can get away with it. But what did Gaff in more than anyone else is that Brayshaw just so happened to lower his head at the worst time and he caught it flush on the chin. So players don't aim for the chin/face (and I don't think Gaff was either), they aim for the chest, shoulders because they know nothing will really come of it. But in this case, the worst possible timing occurred.

Now does that mean Gaff's suspension should be lowered? Of course not, he deserves an enormous punishment. But I think the AFL has to have a bigger hand in outlawing and doing away with players who do those kind of thrust jabs to other players. Just because they don't strike the face doesn't mean they shouldn't be suspended and if anything, this incident could be the tipping point for this behaviour to be properly, thoroughly outlawed. The kind of s**t Bud does on a regular basis, for example, that kinda push/jab thing he does into his opponent's chest, jaw area. That's gotta go. The thing Jones got fined for last week, that's gotta go.

I just created an account after lurking here for a few years to say exactly this. I am a criminal lawyer and was having a chat with a colleague about how this act compares to an analogous act in a bar or on the street. One of the primary differences we came up with is that on an AFL field, a punch to the chest / shoulder region is essentially condoned. No such contact is condoned between members of the general public. The closest ordinary example would perhaps be where two friends are shadow boxing, and one accidentally makes heavy contact. Obviously this analysis is predicated on the assumption that Gaff didn't deliberately punch him in the jaw.

The AFL could get rid of all of the stupid punches S120 describes in 2 weeks. Then if someone was flushed in the jaw, we would all know that the perpetrator deliberately set out to injure his victim, and he could be suspended for 15 weeks or whatever. In that situation criminal charges would be much more reasonable than in the present environment.

I think it was early this year that the AFL cracked down on jumper punches for a week or two? They seem to have given up on that. The AFL likes the aggression and the push and shove of a melee, but just doesn't want any serious violence or injuries like this one to create bad publicity. Just get rid of the bullshit shoving / jumper punches / melees. It's not tough - it's boring.

I just created an account after lurking here for a few years to say exactly this. I am a criminal lawyer and was having a chat with a colleague about how this act compares to an analogous act in a bar or on the street. One of the primary differences we came up with is that on an AFL field, a punch to the chest / shoulder region is essentially condoned. No such contact is condoned between members of the general public. The closest ordinary example would perhaps be where two friends are shadow boxing, and one accidentally makes heavy contact. Obviously this analysis is predicated on the assumption that Gaff didn't deliberately punch him in the jaw.

The AFL could get rid of all of the stupid punches S120 describes in 2 weeks. Then if someone was flushed in the jaw, we would all know that the perpetrator deliberately set out to injure his victim, and he could be suspended for 15 weeks or whatever. In that situation criminal charges would be much more reasonable than in the present environment.

I think it was early this year that the AFL cracked down on jumper punches for a week or two? They seem to have given up on that. The AFL likes the aggression and the push and shove of a melee, but just doesn't want any serious violence or injuries like this one to create bad publicity. Just get rid of the bullshit shoving / jumper punches / melees. It's not tough - it's boring.
Cheers! Well said... stay a while :)

Agree entirely.

We better trade Jones quickly though. Three quarters of his game would be out the window.

Lol! Do you seriously remember which set of rules applied in 1993?

Yeah and I’d forgotten how bad it was, but listening to Cornes talk so had a look

Wanganeen had 8 frees for and 0 against. Crows only got 15

Essendon 15 frees to 1 second half

Close battle in the coaches' player of the year, 4 players still a legitimate chance with 3 rounds left. And it's the same as the Brownlow favourites: Gawn, Cripps and Mitchell, plus Clayton Oliver

The new generation of midfield stars right there. Fyfe, Dangerfield and Martin are still fantastic and the best 3 midfielders in the comp but those rankings suggest there are some new guys coming quickly.

A first post for the ages. Nicely done.

Simple solution for me, no more fines. No more scaling of severity to protect the brownlow medal.

A closed fist should be treated as outside of the points system and an automatic tribubal case.

Touch someone with a closed first, straight to tribunal. 1 week minimum if guilty.

Touch someone above the shoulders with a closed fist, same. 2 week minimum if guilty.

Hit someone with noticeable force with a closed fist: 3 weeks

Injure or concuss a player with a closed fist, no escaping 5 weeks.

Seriously injure a player (Gaff incident, broken bones , brain trauma etc, hospitalisation etc): 8 weeks minumum

No appeal process for a closed fist.

Ever.

It's crap to watch. And it's even worse listening to the "good bloke" brigade defending them.

I'm going to judge the reaction of the AFL, it's judicial system, and the sycophantic media flunkies that encircle it very sternly this week. If this sort of thuggish nonsense is somehow allowed to stand because of some crap about the "fabric of the game" or whathaveyou, then they can take a running leap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back