No Oppo Supporters 2018 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A first post for the ages. Nicely done.

Simple solution for me, no more fines. No more scaling of severity to protect the brownlow medal.

A closed fist should be treated as outside of the points system and an automatic tribubal case.

Touch someone with a closed first, straight to tribunal. 1 week minimum if guilty.

Touch someone above the shoulders with a closed fist, same. 2 week minimum if guilty.

Hit someone with noticeable force with a closed fist: 3 weeks

Injure or concuss a player with a closed fist, no escaping 5 weeks.

Seriously injure a player (Gaff incident, broken bones , brain trauma etc, hospitalisation etc): 8 weeks minumum

No appeal process for a closed fist.

Ever.

It's crap to watch. And it's even worse listening to the "good bloke" brigade defending them.

Given the Brownlow is for 1. Fairest 2. Best
I never understood if a player had been fined could still win.

I certainly think they should crack down massively on off the ball contact. It's ridiculous that it's got to the stage that it has. Whenever I've watched footy with someone not well versed in the sport they're always remarking on how dumb everyone looks when they do the whole 'let's bump into as many people as possible before the opening bounce' act.

If you bump or strike someone off the ball, pay a free kick.

I certainly think they should crack down massively on off the ball contact. It's ridiculous that it's got to the stage that it has. Whenever I've watched footy with someone not well versed in the sport they're always remarking on how dumb everyone looks when they do the whole 'let's bump into as many people as possible before the opening bounce' act.

Only time I've ever seen it paid was (you'll love this) when I think John Stevens met Nathan Buckley with a chestie as he came off the bench.

Only time I've ever seen it paid was (you'll love this) when I think John Stevens met Nathan Buckley with a chestie as he came off the bench.
That was a joke that free! I recall the commentators ripping the umps a new one for that! That was Buckley’s first game back from significant injury wasn’t it? Same thing happened with Cousins a few years later.

Basically it's at the point where if you bump someone and they fall down without it being an obvious flop, it's a free kick. But if you bump them and they stay standing it's play on. Which is dumb. Don't bump people off the ball.

My wife watched a few minutes of a game with me a while ago (she has zero interest in this).

"That's such a massive waste of energy, and they look ******* dumb".

I get that.

I just don't accept it has much weighting in the discussion. One guy was throwing a punch. One guy was playing football.

The fact Brayshaw was a moving target only emphasizes how little care/thought Gaff had about the action. That's what needs to be punished.

Gaff is no murderer here. But he does need to be made an example of.

Frankly, severe hits should be months of bans, not weeks, considering the potential harm.

Most punchers get off on this nebulous no harm no foul idea. That's what needs to be drummed out of players. There is no such thing as a harmless punch.
Yes, I totally agree with that. He was throwing a punch, therefore regardless of the intent, he is responsible. And it needs to stop! All players need to get the message, and it needs to be week in week out, regardless of the outcome of the punch. "He got up and played on", that's just lucky. Still needs to be a suspension.

Yes, I totally agree with that. He was throwing a punch, therefore regardless of the intent, he is responsible. And it needs to stop! All players need to get the message, and it needs to be week in week out, regardless of the outcome of the punch. "He got up and played on", that's just lucky. Still needs to be a suspension.

Definitely agree with this. In our criminal system, there is a huge element of luck involved. Consider the most severe possible ramifications of some of the dangerous actions you have taken in your life. If you have ever driven drunk or been in a fight, luck is all that separates you from the guy sitting in prison doing 5 years for manslaughter. You are no different from that guy, yet society treats him as a pariah, while you are able to carry on with your life completely unperturbed.

Imo luck is all that now separates Andrew Gaff from the dozens of AFL players who lash out with their arms in the general direction of their opponents' chests every weekend. Obviously the disparity in their circumstances is somewhat unavoidable. However, automatic suspensions for all punches would remove a lot of the risk of bad luck for the perpetrators, and serious injuries for the victims.

I feel ill at the thought of Mitchell having a Brownlow and Pendlebury & Buddy not having one.
Yep, both the AFLCA and AFLPA Player of the Year awards have more merit than the Brownlow in my opinion.

This is a very good article by Chris Judd. I would’ve put in the media thread but it’s not Swans related but more so AFL related. It obviously ties in quite well with the obvious ‘rumour’ going around.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/out-the-door-and-out-the-gate-20180806-p4zvui.html
Oh if only all the ex players that go into media after their playing time is up were as intelligent as Judd. There are a couple around whom I really like to either read opinion pieces or listen to on commentary, but they are few and far between.

Yep, both the AFLCA and AFLPA Player of the Year awards have more merit than the Brownlow in my opinion.

Oh if only all the ex players that go into media after their playing time is up were as intelligent as Judd. There are a couple around whom I really like to either read opinion pieces or listen to on commentary, but they are few and far between.

chris judd is as compelling to listen to as charles manson...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon if you bump them off the ball, pay a free kick; if you strike them, automatic minimum one week suspension.

To each their own, I find Judd extremely articulate and interesting, can't say the same for Manson, never heard him interviewed.

I agree on Judd.

And btw Manson was actually very interesting to listen to when interviewed, he was like a real-life combination of every Tarantino villain imaginable.

I agree on Judd.

And btw Manson was actually very interesting to listen to when interviewed, he was like a real-life combination of every Tarantino villain imaginable.
Haha then I'd be a fan (sorry I know that sounds sick), I'm the biggest Tarrantino fan on the planet!!!!

Let's all stipulate that Gaff is a complete moron that committed a dog act and should be hung out to dry for his actions. It was sh*tstain on the game, on him personally and he should ever be ashamed of his actions.

Horrible horrible thing to do.

He can go for 8 as far as I am concerned.

Couldn't give a flying * how much of a top bloke he was/is - irrelevant.

Having said that could we pretty please, omg please, really really try hard to recruit that son of a bitch.

Sure can play.

Let's all stipulate that Gaff is a complete moron that committed a dog act and should be hung out to dry for his actions. It was sh*tstain on the game, on him personally and he should ever be ashamed of his actions.

Horrible horrible thing to do.

He can go for 8 as far as I am concerned.

Couldn't give a flying **** how much of a top bloke he was/is - irrelevant.

Having said that could we pretty please, omg please, really really try hard to recruit that son of a bitch.

Sure can play.

I'd love to get him but won't happen, and given how much he'd be asking, I'm not sure I'd want it to happen.

I agree on Judd.

that was the point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back