Players who have jumped to elite status

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends what you classify as Elite. Simpson will likely make the AA squad.

Curnow is elite for his age.

Kreuzer was AA squad less than 12 months ago.

Murphy is in great form.

As has been said, elite is probably the best 20 players in the competition.

The others aren't close to that.

Some hoped he would walk for nothing in 2014... isn’t that right _RT_
Given his inconsistent performances back then, I did think we should trade him, not going to deny that. Glad we persisted and he has become the player he has.

As has been said, elite is probably the best 20 players in the competition.

The others aren't close to that.
And there will be over 100 players named as elite by the time we are done in here.

Given his inconsistent performances back then, I did think we should trade him, not going to deny that. Glad we persisted and he has become the player he has.

You said you hope he walks for nothing...

I’m glad our game plan has changed and players have been given the licence to play to their strengths and he was able to blossom .. Have we signed Blake yet?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rated Franklin's 2008 season as not elite as well.

No wonder you turfed him to Sydney. Can't go carrying dead weight on your list forever eh?

Not exactly answering the thread question here, but who's the better small backman out of Laird and Lloyd?

Not even close, Laird has the accumulating factor but is a much better 1v1 defender. Lloyd is a one note player.

In terms of who is the best in the role of actually being a small defender, I'd say neither and would say one of Neville Jetta or Nick Smith holds that title. Smith has had a monopoly on it for a few years now.

Depends what you classify as Elite. Simpson will likely make the AA squad.

Curnow is elite for his age.

Kreuzer was AA squad less than 12 months ago.

Murphy is in great form.

Really? Can name a fair few half back flankers that would be in before him.

Curnow may be good for his age, doesn’t make him elite.

Kruezer is clearly a level or two below the best rucks.

Murphy has played better than he is now. And not a top 20 midfielder in the comp

Ben Stratton - Playing with more responsibility and a fancy new mullet, he was always rated a great player internally but has become a truly elite back. Not many defenders get better with added responsibility but he sure has.
This x1000. My old man and I love to refer to him as the people's mullet. Every Hawthorn game I've watched this year, he's been excellent.

Gawn rated elite in hitouts, hitouts to advantage, marks, intercept marks and contested marks, all key area's that are important for a ruckman i'm sure you'll agree. Just my opinion, but id rather my ruckman winning hitouts, taking contested marks around the ground and kicking goals than trying to bend over for a groundball get, but again, my opinion.
Pretty sure Grundy is something like second for total hitouts to advantage and top 3 for total hitouts? He’s also top 3 in total contested marks for #1 ruckman aswell. So its not as if Grundy doesnt do what Gawn does best, Grundys numbers in those areas stack up very well against the competitions other ruckman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back