Prediction Brisbane Lions - They'll win a flag within 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That's my bold prediction. They've shown signs that they will emerge in the not to distant future. The GABBA will once again be a fortress and I think finals aren't out of the question next year. Certainly in two years I expect them to be featuring in September and by the year after they will be a force. 3 years to build and strengthen, gain momentum as well as experience and the next two after that, the Lions should have a prem.

The GABBA will once again by a nightmare for teams to play at, and it's already becoming very dicey as it is

We need to nail this years draft with a couple more potential elite mids and then bring in a few 24-27 year old mature midfielders in 2020-21. I'm hoping for 9-12 wins in 2019 and then a top 4 assault from 2020.

We have an exceptionally good base to work off though- Cameron Rayner, Alex Witherden, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry, Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews and Darcy Gardiner have shown enough to say they will all elite to B+ level players.

That's my bold prediction. They've shown signs that they will emerge in the not to distant future. The GABBA will once again be a fortress and I think finals aren't out of the question next year. Certainly in two years I expect them to be featuring in September and by the year after they will be a force. 3 years to build and strengthen, gain momentum as well as experience and the next two after that, the Lions should have a prem.

The GABBA will once again by a nightmare for teams to play at, and it's already becoming very dicey as it is

Hardly a "bold prediction".

Been saying for a while, their ladder position does not directly relate to the quality of their list, they are a very good young team who will soon be on the rise.

Chris Fagan has done a terrific job in turning around the overall club culture whilst gelling the playing list to one of unity & camaraderie.

Clearly there were a number serious issues behind the scenes up there (Rockliff ??) that Fagan's predecessors either didn't want to fix or were incapable of fixing. Now that has all been addressed, the Lions are heading in the right direction.

I'm expecting a definite rise up the ladder in 2019, won't make the Top 8 but will get well out of the Bottom 4.

I think will be a 8-12 team next year. What's Brisbane supporters take on Berry? See a bit of Cripps in his playstyle. Admittedly haven't seen too much of him though.

I think will be a 8-12 team next year. What's Brisbane supporters take on Berry? See a bit of Cripps in his playstyle. Admittedly haven't seen too much of him though.

We are hoping he continues just like he has: A brute of a kid that just craves the contested footy. Will be feeding the pill to his mate McCluggage for years to come.

Will be interesting if we try and get his brother, could make for a damn good sibling combo!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they'll be very hard to beat at the Gabba in a few years. I think finals is still a bit beyond them for next year, reckon they can make it in 2020 though. My early tip for next year is that they will win around 9-10 games. Think there will be a big improvement in the wins column at the Gabba next season and I don't think it's beyond them to win more games than they lose at home in 2019.

2023 is an eternity in football terms. Pretty much anyone could win a flag in that time.
I'd only possibly exclude Carlton and Gold Coast who I think would take longer. But by 2023 they could easily be playing finals.

After 11 years of misery there is a feeling of improvement which could be rapid next year but all we have achieved this year is to stop the floggings. Plus for the first season in those 11 years we are not talking about who we will loose, all our kids are signed and to extended deals. We do have a great brood of kids Hugh McLuggage looks like he could be elite and an A grader. Cameron Rayner, Alex Witherden, Jarrod Berry, Harris Andrews, Oscar McInerney will be long term players for sure with Andrews being talked about as All Australian this year before being flattened. Charlie Cameron, Rhys Mathieson, Eric Hipwood, Lewis Taylor and Tom Cutler with just a touch more consistency will join that group of top players. Rich, Robinson, Zorko and Beams will be there for at least another 2 years so it's looking a solid unit. Plus we have some great kids playing in the reserves, some giants in Payne, Skinner, Ballenden and some that might step up in the middle, Cox, Keays, Baily, Starcevick. We have a secret weapon on the boil as well whom we just got back from basketball in Fullerton - watch out for him. Another list clean this year getting a few cloggers out and with a good draft and a possible trade it is conceivable the 7 games we have come close in could go the other way so 10 to 12 wins next year is certainly possible. We really didn't get to see the forward line work with Cameron in this second half of the season but we are probably a reliable KPF short and a bit of inside midfielder. Anyone got one to trade?

We certainly are a happy bunch of long time supporters compared to the last 10 or 11 years - We at least have HOPE.

Dangerous to read too much into late-season form. A few short weeks ago they were duking it out with Carlton for the spoon.

How they start next season will be telling.

They've had these late-season surges a couple of times in the past decade, only for them to turn into false dawns the following year.

Given how unsuccessful they've been for so long, I'm in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp with the Lions.

Really like the look of the Lions lately. Right from the top Luke Hodge has been fantastic for them, got some very good experienced players in Zorko, Beams and Stef Martin, Charlie Cameron started his Brisbane career in exciting fashion (disappointed he’s not playing), and the young talent coming through in Hipwood, Andrews, Mcgluggage and Rayner, a lot to like about what’s happening up in Brisbane.

Predicting things five years out is so difficult so sure, may as well say it.

Imagine saying five years ago that Richmond would be favourites to be back to back premiers straight after the Bulldog won it. This place would have torn you to shreds.

The only thing we can really say is that in five years Carlton will still sink.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back