List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do rate Lukosius I just think he is a huge flight risk... be Prestia, O’Meara, Caddy, Bennell and Lynch all over again. By the time he is of quality his gone... McGovern is ready now and would add immediate impact to our squad.

Why would McGovern come here? Only reason would be the pay cheque which means he would eventually be a flight risk. Plus he gets injured a bit and is inconsistent.

You have to back the club in to have the right environment to keep players - and hopefully with the passion the young players are displaying the tide is turning on that front.

Lukosios has shown he has the ability to be the best player at our club (and a top player in the AFL) within 3-5 years.

Add me to that
We need to play Lotto and the more tickets we buy in the Lotto the better our chances of striking gold
Once we strike gold the bedwetting epidemic will strangely go away

Just comes down to getting more list spots - we already have collected enough tickets, just need the AFL to bend the rules for us to allow us to use them all.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Brayden Preuss...
IMO an obvious NM target - would consolidate our ruck stocks - is ex Academy (same year as Weller) , Queenslander, 23years.
While Witts has been great - another 206cm ruckman on the list is good for competition and would provide insurance.
He also provides more of what we don't have - aggression.
Witts , Preuss, Crossley would give us a very physical big man presence.
If Witts stays the #1 ruck - I believe Preuss / Crossley / Wright could share the permanent key forward roles.
At least when the ball is hack-kicked in we'd know a serious contest would occur..

Cyril absolute Yes
Casboult absolute No -- we have enough bad kicks without bringing in the leagues worst kick (not even for steak knifes)
Levi is nowhere near the worst kick in the league. He would provide with a great contested marking forward we are lacking, and can chop out in the ruck. Leave 2MP a chance to become our fulltime Full Foward

Levi is nowhere near the worst kick in the league. He would provide with a great contested marking forward we are lacking, and can chop out in the ruck. Leave 2MP a chance to become our fulltime Full Foward
I'm with Nobbys - see post above .
2MP could still be our long term #1 Forward in that scenario.

I would go the other way and have 2MP our lead up forward like he was against Sydney and leave someone like Causbolt planted well in 50 as a good bail out kick since we seem to bomb it to packs all the time anyway. He can also ruck which would keep Wright away from rucking in the middle.

Can't believe no-one has mentioned Brayden Preuss...
IMO an obvious NM target - would consolidate our ruck stocks - is ex Academy (same year as Weller) , Queenslander, 23years.
While Witts has been great - another 206cm ruckman on the list is good for competition and would provide insurance.
He also provides more of what we don't have - aggression.
Witts , Preuss, Crossley would give us a very physical big man presence.
If Witts stays the #1 ruck - I believe Preuss / Crossley / Wright could share the permanent key forward roles.
At least when the ball is hack-kicked in we'd know a serious contest would occur..

Preuss and Williams for Hall and Nicholls - sign me up

Eh Casboult. Don't think his kicking is THAT bad anymore.
Last 5 years he is converting at 66% (34 goals 18 behinds last year)
Buddy is 67%
Doesn't take into account out on the full - they both can be guilty of this.

Think we'd just be keen on Casboult at the moment because we move it so slow, don't really have a contested marker down the line.. he gives us someone who can clunk a mark down the line. I can see the rationale.

Preuss isn't going to want to come to a club where he will start as the #2 again. He is better to wait out Goldstein retiring.
yeah i mentioned preuss a few weeks back
he doesn't have incentive to come and be a 2nd ruck behind a 26 year old.

yeah i mentioned preuss a few weeks back
he doesn't have incentive to come and be a 2nd ruck behind a 26 year old.
West Coast do OK with more than a single Ruckman.. and Nic Nat going down highlights the importance of Lycett.
Witts has strengths and weaknesses - like all players. Whose to say his form continues …
Do admit Goldstein is closer to being cooked though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind Preuss if GC can Sell the idea that Nicholls will be a great backup option for them . In a way free up a list spot.

Hall + Nicholls to North
Preuss + William to GC

Last edited:
Don't mind Preuss if GC can Sell the idea that Nicholls will be a great backup option for them . In a way free up a list spot.

Hall + Nicholls to North
Preuss + William to GC
I don’t think north would do it either.
Would say pruess rated far higher than Nicholls. Ideally they’ll want to keep him for when goldy stops.

On Casboult, he’d make a decent Lynch replacement and offer a solid backup ruck option. Carlton need to offload him this year or he will just walk next year.

Similarly, the Suns still hold the Ace hand with Lynch as a Restricted Free Agent. Those thinking that the Suns will let him go to a Vic team for free are ignoring the range of options. If the Suns match the bid, then it is up to a team to make an acceptable offer - say 2018 mid to late 1st round and future 2019 1st round. This would see the high compo pick disappear, however, it would strengthen the Suns case for a high priority pick.

Remember, most of what you read and hear is Vic media claptrap. Talk of the Suns not asking for a priority pick is crap. As Shane said on this week’s GCSunscast, the Melbourne media has been pushing for the Suns to receive an end of 1st round priority draft pick, but just because they keep repeating it won’t make it true.

If the Suns take bold action on the Lynch trade, the AFL has to respond with a meaningful Top 5 Draft pick. Otherwise, they are basically endorsing player poaching where the strong Melbourne clubs can get any player they like for nothing. Make them pay or risk becoming a tropical player development and B grade player retirement club that exists only to make up the numbers.

Top draft hope Izak Rankine reveals why he'd love to play alongside Eddie Betts at the Crows
Andrew Capel, adelaidenow
August 8, 2018 9:37pm

POTENTIAL No. 1 draft pick Izak Rankine has revealed star Crow Eddie Betts has become his unlikely mentor.

As Adelaide — currently armed with three of the first 19 picks in this year’s AFL national draft — considers packaging selections to make an audacious bid to move up the order to secure Rankine or fellow South Australian star Jack Lukosius, the West Adelaide speedster said Betts is playing a key role in his development.

And — on a day it was confirmed clubs will be able to trade picks throughout the national draft for the first time — Rankine said he would love to saddle up alongside Betts in the Adelaide forward line next year.

“I’d love to play for the Crows, they are the team I grew up barracking for,’’ Rankine, 18, said.

74bb440c20c995c31add36aa3830b09b

SA under-18 stars Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine. Pic: Tait Schmaal.
“And to play with Eddie would be extra special because he’s one of the players I model my game on, along with (former Hawk) Cyril Rioli, and has been helping me throughout the year.’’

Adelaide has been given more draft ammunition with confirmation clubs can make late plays to move up the draft order if a player they desperately want is still available.

This year’s draft, likely to be held at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium, will for the first time be staged over two days on November 22 and 23.

Rankine, who topped Champion Data’s player ratings at the past two AFL under-18 championships and is its highest-rated draft prospect, met Betts when he trained with the Crows for a week in December as part of the AFL Academy program.

He told The Advertiser the pair had an instant connection and that 558-goal small forward Betts had “looked after me’’ ever since.

4f1792734fd8fae96281b780700f38e8

Izak Rankine is an excitement machine. Pic: Getty Images
“Eddie invited me over to dinner and we’ve kicked on from there,’’ Rankine said.

“We’ve stayed in contact and message each other about different things.

“It’s just cruising, having good chats and giving me advice and stuff.

“We’ve come from the same (indigenous) background, so we have that connection and look after each other.

“He gives me advice to make sure I stay on track and continue doing the right things to chase my dream of playing in the AFL.’

Rankine, who has played 21 SANFL league games for the Bloods, is considered the ideal long-term replacement for Betts, who turns 32 in November and has shown signs of slowing down this season.

Dual Crows premiership coach Malcolm Blight has suggested Rankine would be a perfect fit for Adelaide.

85289fbe1a54241c43ddd89185a45941

Eddie Betts took Izak Rankine under his wing. Pic: Sarah Reed
“I’d rather stay in SA and play my football here but wherever I go I’ll go and I’ll just play my role,” Rankine said.

“It’s always been my dream to play AFL, so I’m happy to do that anywhere.’’

Rankine and Lukosius could end up at struggling Gold Coast, which is likely to have picks two and three after losing key forward Tom Lynch to free agency.

Triple premiership coach Mick Malthouse claims he’d heard that some top draft prospects had had conversations with their player managers about avoiding being drafted by the Suns, which promoted their chief executive Mark Evans to threaten legal action.

But Rankine and Lukosius say they are happy to go to whatever club drafts them.

“Like Izak, I’m a Crows supporter who would love to stay in Adelaide alongside family and friends but I’ll just be grateful to be drafted and be more than happy to go to any club,’’ Lukosius said.

Top draft hope Izak Rankine reveals why he'd love to play alongside Eddie Betts at the Crows
Andrew Capel, adelaidenow
August 8, 2018 9:37pm

POTENTIAL No. 1 draft pick Izak Rankine has revealed star Crow Eddie Betts has become his unlikely mentor.

As Adelaide — currently armed with three of the first 19 picks in this year’s AFL national draft — considers packaging selections to make an audacious bid to move up the order to secure Rankine or fellow South Australian star Jack Lukosius, the West Adelaide speedster said Betts is playing a key role in his development.

And — on a day it was confirmed clubs will be able to trade picks throughout the national draft for the first time — Rankine said he would love to saddle up alongside Betts in the Adelaide forward line next year.

“I’d love to play for the Crows, they are the team I grew up barracking for,’’ Rankine, 18, said.

74bb440c20c995c31add36aa3830b09b

SA under-18 stars Jack Lukosius and Izak Rankine. Pic: Tait Schmaal.
“And to play with Eddie would be extra special because he’s one of the players I model my game on, along with (former Hawk) Cyril Rioli, and has been helping me throughout the year.’’

Adelaide has been given more draft ammunition with confirmation clubs can make late plays to move up the draft order if a player they desperately want is still available.

This year’s draft, likely to be held at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium, will for the first time be staged over two days on November 22 and 23.

Rankine, who topped Champion Data’s player ratings at the past two AFL under-18 championships and is its highest-rated draft prospect, met Betts when he trained with the Crows for a week in December as part of the AFL Academy program.

He told The Advertiser the pair had an instant connection and that 558-goal small forward Betts had “looked after me’’ ever since.

4f1792734fd8fae96281b780700f38e8

Izak Rankine is an excitement machine. Pic: Getty Images
“Eddie invited me over to dinner and we’ve kicked on from there,’’ Rankine said.

“We’ve stayed in contact and message each other about different things.

“It’s just cruising, having good chats and giving me advice and stuff.

“We’ve come from the same (indigenous) background, so we have that connection and look after each other.

“He gives me advice to make sure I stay on track and continue doing the right things to chase my dream of playing in the AFL.’

Rankine, who has played 21 SANFL league games for the Bloods, is considered the ideal long-term replacement for Betts, who turns 32 in November and has shown signs of slowing down this season.

Dual Crows premiership coach Malcolm Blight has suggested Rankine would be a perfect fit for Adelaide.

85289fbe1a54241c43ddd89185a45941

Eddie Betts took Izak Rankine under his wing. Pic: Sarah Reed
“I’d rather stay in SA and play my football here but wherever I go I’ll go and I’ll just play my role,” Rankine said.

“It’s always been my dream to play AFL, so I’m happy to do that anywhere.’’

Rankine and Lukosius could end up at struggling Gold Coast, which is likely to have picks two and three after losing key forward Tom Lynch to free agency.

Triple premiership coach Mick Malthouse claims he’d heard that some top draft prospects had had conversations with their player managers about avoiding being drafted by the Suns, which promoted their chief executive Mark Evans to threaten legal action.

But Rankine and Lukosius say they are happy to go to whatever club drafts them.

“Like Izak, I’m a Crows supporter who would love to stay in Adelaide alongside family and friends but I’ll just be grateful to be drafted and be more than happy to go to any club,’’ Lukosius said.

This is a pre-written article waiting for the announcement that live trading would be introduced as this year’s draft.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we constantly turning players over. Worth a second rd pick for a third or forth rd pick player because they are local.

The club will only be in a worse position then now.

Aaron Hall had 3BOG in first 3 games last year to be leading the brownlow for abit

Hall played well for the first 3 games of 2016.

2 years later he was playing NEAFL.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Eh Casboult. Don't think his kicking is THAT bad anymore.
Last 5 years he is converting at 66% (34 goals 18 behinds last year)
Buddy is 67%
Doesn't take into account out on the full - they both can be guilty of this.

Think we'd just be keen on Casboult at the moment because we move it so slow, don't really have a contested marker down the line.. he gives us someone who can clunk a mark down the line. I can see the rationale.

Please don’t compare casboult to buddy.. that’s not even funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back