Opinion POLL - New Footy manager - Possible candidates?

Who would you like Freo to target as Footy manager to get us though the re-build

• Peter Bell

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • Paul Haselby

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Justin Longmuire

• Peter Sumich

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • James Hird

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Graham Wright

• Neil Balme

Votes: 25 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

332docker

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Western Force
Just thought I'd kick off a poll for a laugh - I added Hird as there seems like a genuine push to get him back into the fold and freo already tried to head hunt him for Opposition anylists role at start of season. Also added Voss.

My Pre-requisites:

Essential:
  • Successful past playing career
  • Proven media performer (doesn't take s**t or backflip on his opinions!)
Desirable:
  • Extensive coaching background either at lower level as a senior coach or extended period as assistant coach at multiple AFL clubs
  • Extensive media background

Would prefer Scotty Cummings for the "bulk up" role. He could also kick a bag!
In fairness to Suma, he did kick more than 500 goals. As people I don't mind either Suma or Scotty but geez I'd tear my hair out if I had to regularly sit in a boardroom with either of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just thought I'd kick off a poll for a laugh - I added Hird as there seems like a genuine push to get him back into the fold and freo already tried to head hunt him for Opposition anylists role at start of season. Also added Voss.

My Pre-requisites:

Essential:
  • Successful past playing career
  • Proven media performer (doesn't take s**t or backflip on his opinions!)
Desirable:
  • Extensive coaching background either at lower level as a senior coach or extended period as assistant coach at multiple AFL clubs
  • Extensive media background

The role of player manager needs clarifcation of the job description imop , duties and goals realistically. Hird would be the best of that group re coach payer relations and very competent in the media. His football brain is excellent. AS footy manager he would have as a priority player welfare, so perhaps that could be questioned.

Sumich is probably the best re player develoment and communicating what the players need to do to achieve the task/system of play and skills required. Sumich is a natural manager, is in his blood. Media side would need to be smartened up a lot.

I am impressed with Shane Woewoddin and depending on his resume and managerail capabilities he could be excellent.

Belly, Haselby, Longmuir all good is some areas but this position is not really there forte imop. But then whom am I ?

at least give some half decent choices....
Agreed. What about Neil Balme? Went to Geelong and broke their 44 year Premiership drought, plus added two more and a gf appearance while there Football Operations Manager. Joined Richmond as General Manager influencing them to appoint their lauded assistants at end of 2016. Broke their 37 year Premiership drought in 2017 and looking the goods again this year.

Love Belly and can't knock his loyalty to Freo, but if he was gifted the Footy Manager job it would be like another Chris Bond without the 10 years experience in my opinion. Nothing wrong for Bell to do an apprenticeship for a couple of years under Balme.

Agreed. What about Neil Balme? Went to Geelong and broke their 44 year Premiership drought, plus added two more and a gf appearance while there Football Operations Manager. Joined Richmond as General Manager influencing them to appoint their lauded assistants at end of 2016. Broke their 37 year Premiership drought in 2017 and looking the goods again this year.

Love Belly and can't knock his loyalty to Freo, but if he was gifted the Footy Manager job it would be like another Chris Bond without the 10 years experience in my opinion. Nothing wrong for Bell to do an apprenticeship for a couple of years under Balme.
Is Balme attainable though? He would have to see it as the ultimate challenge. I imagine it would be almost impossible to get him to move states

Is Balme attainable though? He would have to see it as the ultimate challenge. I imagine it would be almost impossible to get him to move states
I heard his interview a couple of nights ago, the day Freo announced Bond leaving. He hadn't heard anything about it but said "Pass on my number". It was kinda joking, but being a WA born and bred and where he started his footy can't be out of the question and he didn't shut the door. No harm in asking. After what he's done already with Geelong, Collingwood and Richmond would give him a level of prestige that might be attractive and he genuinely might want to help Freo!

Back