The absolute state of Channel 7 commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
I am a WC supporter, so will park what I felt was a shockingly one sided call, cheerleading for Collingwood in week 1 of the finals. I don't think it was my bias, but am willing to accept that interpretation.

But last night was absolutely abysmal. Even maniacal Collingwood supporters on Reddit and Twitter have commented that it was spoiling the game, and switched to SEN for audio, both due to sheer below par calling and the fact it was intolerably one sided.

Luke Darcy was the worst offender, it is shockingly unprofessional and spoils the experience when you don't just focus on one team, but openly barrack for that side. I've honestly heard Eddie put up a better pretence at neutrality.The few times Richo had the guts to say point out a contentious free or non-call, Darcy would just rush in over the top of him, and change the subject, or go on long winded superlative filled praise sessions, which are the kind of thing you save for a game that's over and when a player has been exceptional. Not at the cost of covering the match. Finally, the complete absence of excitement, enthusiasm and commentary, when GWS had the run of play.

It honestly ruins a match and whenever a 7 commentary team are doing the calling, I just mute the game.

Last edited:

Watch the highlights of goals of the round when an interstate side is playing a Vic side, the enthusiasm is greatly favored to Vic sides... It's nothing new really it's been like that for a very long time.

Footy show's also if a Vic side loses against an interstate side the show will go through how and where the Vic side can improve 90% of the segment, if a Vic side wins against an interstate side it will show how good the Vic side is for 90% of the segment.

I remember when I think it was 2012 when WCE got on a big run Darcy some how was allowed to have a 5min segment during a match of showing Eagles throwing the ball or half handballing as if it did not exist for any other team.

But yeah follow the money.

• Banned
The silence after GWS kicked their goals was pretty funny. Painstakingly obvious the run-sheet was to just flog Collingwood off all night long and build anticipation for the Tigers vs. Pies the following week. Totally expected from these clowns though.
Just dead silence.

They sounded so disappointed when WC won the week before. We got a token, big men don't get shorter, then minutes of praise being heaped on an "undermanned" Collingwood, the brilliance of Goldsack etc.

This week they seem devastated when GWS pulled ahead.

Bruce is the worst by far for mine. Often his commentary has homoerotic undertones (ie. delicious, you'd love to be tackled by him etc.), which is completely unnecessary and has me constantly cringing during his games.

He has this reputation as a legendary sports commentator, which I have never understood either. If you're going to be considered one of the greats, you need to have a few tricks outside of asking the same rhetorical questions repeatably throughout a match (ie. you would give him a chance from here, wouldn’t you?).

He’s a complete amateur.

The silence after GWS kicked their goals was pretty funny. Painstakingly obvious the run-sheet was to just flog Collingwood off all night long and build anticipation for the Tigers vs. Pies the following week. Totally expected from these clowns though.
I'm pretty sure when Adam's almost connected a punch on a GWS player "Lingy" said he can't be doing that if he wants to play the premlim next week... I believe this was before half time.

Remember his voice break screaming 'De Goeeeeeeeeeeey!'
Was disgusting. Sucks too because James Brayshaw is so good. Wish we could just do it by himself. Don't mind if that is an unpopular opinion either.
He absolutely has a higher degree of professionalism and ability that the other 7 dunderheads. And I think he knows how bad the call sounds, because even when he slips into the same behavior, at least pulls himself up and makes a token effort to sound excited for the other side.

Just dead silence.

They sounded so disappointed when WC won the week before. We got a token, big men don't get shorter, then minutes of praise being heaped on an "undermanned" Collingwood, the brilliance of Goldsack etc.

This week they seem devastated when GWS pulled ahead.
You can pick in the first few minutes which team they're riding for the rest of the night. After the first 10 minutes or so with Collingwood 2-3 goals up, Lingy chimes in that "this match should be over" or words to that effect. Not even a quarter gone and he's already declared a winner if not for missing a couple of goals. It's shocking stuff.

I think the commentary is:

A a potential reason for the state of the game cries and declining ratings. Its been awful and getting worse for some time, to the extent that I don't even turn the sound on when the football is on, let alone watch pre and post game shows

B Getting very close to WWE because it is obvious that they have been told what they are trying to get over with the audience

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can pick in the first few minutes which team they're riding for the rest of the night. After the first 10 minutes or so with Collingwood 2-3 goals up, Lingy chimes in that "this match should be over" or words to that effect. Not even a quarter gone and he's already declared a winner if not for missing a couple of goals. It's shocking stuff.
It also bothers me how some clearly hold grudges and resentments, and believe a bit of barracking livens up a call.

A constant refrain I have heard, from people like BT and Darce, suggesting it adds spice to a match.

A a potential reason for the state of the game cries and declining ratings. Its been awful and getting worse for some time, to the extent that I don't even turn the sound on when the football is on, let alone watch pre and post game shows

B Getting very close to WWE because it is obvious that they have been told what they are trying to get over with the audience
Agreed.

I do think they are encouraged to pick a narrative and sell it.

For "entertainment".

Remember his voice break screaming 'De Goeeeeeeeeeeey!'
Was disgusting. Sucks too because James Brayshaw is so good. Wish we could just do it by himself. Don't mind if that is an unpopular opinion either.
Brayshaw has the voice for it, Luke Darcy does not. Watching the replay it was absolutely cringe worthy... listen to Brayshaw call Varcoe's goal at the start of the 4th... much better.

Bruce is the worst by far for mine. Often his commentary has homoerotic undertones (ie. delicious, you'd love to be tackled by him etc.), which is completely unnecessary and has me constantly cringing during his games.

He has this reputation as a legendary sports commentator, which I have never understood either. If you're going to be considered one of the greats, you need to have a few tricks outside of asking the same rhetorical questions repeatably throughout a match (ie. you would give him a chance from here, wouldn’t you?).

He’s a complete amateur.

Him and BT. Think it may have been Port Adelaide vs Hawthorn last season, Hawthorn hadn't kicked a goal nearing half time and a players shot for goal went out on the full and Bruce let out a painful "please somebody kick a goal pleaaaase". As if Hawthorn, a team who had just come off a 3 peat, have essentially dominated the comp for the last 40 years were worth feeling sorry for? Could you imagine if someone calling the NBA did that in his creepy, weird tone in support of the Golden State Warriors? It would become a major internet meme.

I understand BT has his schtick but god damn it how tiresome is it? It's so far below professional sports broadcasting standards it's a joke.

Luke Darcy makes Basil, Hame and BT seem borderline competent. If there was an award for the most inept commentator in world sport he'd be unbackable. The guy has no idea who half the players are and spits out random words at high volume in lieu of anything even remotely descriptive when something exciting happens

Luke Darcy makes Basil, Hame and BT seem borderline competent. If there was an award for the most inept commentator in world sport he'd be unbackable. The guy has no idea who half the players are and spits out random words at high volume in lieu of anything even remotely descriptive when something exciting happens
Everyone is a little champ or a superstar, he can't come up with anything else. Maybe the odd 'oooh' when something happens but he cant think of a way to put it into words.

Agreed.

I do think they are encouraged to pick a narrative and sell it.

For "entertainment".

Yes and one issue is that they are not entertainers they are ex footy players who can string a sentence together which is not the same as a professional entertainer. Hence it is s**t.

Yeah the media definitely has a story to sell and has too much owner in our game. They drink their own bath water.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back