List Mgmt. Draft Needs 2018 : Rankine/Lukosius/Rozee/Hately etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
all im seeing is a Westhoff prototype.... can run all day and read the play well has great foot skills but doesnt want to get his hands dirty.
if we had picks 2 and 3 i'd be going Rozee and Rankine
Me 2 totally agree, 2 skinny and will never fill out and be a strong competitive marking player . Looks a bit flaky for my liking ala Jack Watts. Def be taking Rozee and Rankine if I were crows .

Bicks, with all respect ....you include with almost every post, the fact you watch players live .....this fact alone does not make anyone who watches live footy, an expert

The other aspect is, matches like the U18 SA comp, tells us very little about players ....the overall standard is poor, and like most junior comps, the stars just accumulate stats at will, as the pressure is average and there's plenty of space

Whether any of those stars can undertake, what they do at junior level, at the AFL level ....is truly the art of talent spotting .......seeing more footage doesn't change, what one game can reveal

Why are lads getting drafted on the back of one Championship game ....one TAC Grand Final ?
Some even go from 20 to 10 off the back of one game .....so this weight of games over a couple of years ....is frankly a wank !
Getting drafted off ‘one game ‘ is a stretch WW

Bonar has showed plenty pre his 2 recons , ditto cockatoo

Oliver comes to mind but he dominated the second half of the tac cup season , it was never one or 2 games

Doedee is another but it still was a body of work ( quoted as being the toughest opponent for a forward in tac cup ) which also then included character , his skill and competitiveness on a basketball court as extras and upside from limited football exposure

Never one game for any others guys , got any others ?

Bicks, with all respect ....you include with almost every post, the fact you watch players live .....this fact alone does not make anyone who watches live footy, an expert

The other aspect is, matches like the U18 SA comp, tells us very little about players ....the overall standard is poor, and like most junior comps, the stars just accumulate stats at will, as the pressure is average and there's plenty of space

Whether any of those stars can undertake, what they do at junior level, at the AFL level ....is truly the art of talent spotting .......seeing more footage doesn't change, what one game can reveal

Why are lads getting drafted on the back of one Championship game ....one TAC Grand Final ?
Some even go from 20 to 10 off the back of one game .....so this weight of games over a couple of years ....is frankly a wank !
If you don't like what Bicks adds, don't read his posts. Put him on ignore if you have to. Watching players live is different to watching players on streamed or recorded footage is different as you do not get to see the work players are doing off the ball. Which is a massive part of the game and identifying talent. And claiming players have moved from 20 to 10 in 1 game is also ridiculous unless you have access to that teams draft order. How do you know they didn't have him ranked at that pick the whole time? Every clubs draft order is going to differ slightly. Especially ours based on the last couple of years.

Getting drafted off ‘one game ‘ is a stretch WW

Bonar has showed plenty pre his 2 recons , ditto cockatoo

Oliver comes to mind but he dominated the second half of the tac cup season , it was never one or 2 games

Doedee is another but it still was a body of work ( quoted as being the toughest opponent for a forward in tac cup ) which also then included character , his skill and competitiveness on a basketball court as extras and upside from limited football exposure

Never one game for any others guys , got any others ?
Absolutely ! .....and also off the back of the National Draft Combine .....even a reality show

The 10 goals from Steele Sidebottom in the U18 GF .....probably boosted his draft rankings 10 spots .....that shouldn't have happened, if we believe the "body of work" theory

Oliver, who i picked as the Crows choice that year .....came from a late first round to #3 in the space of 6 weeks ..........there goes that "body of work" theory, yet again

Should we talk Sellar ?

If you don't like what Bicks adds, don't read his posts. Put him on ignore if you have to. Watching players live is different to watching players on streamed or recorded footage is different as you do not get to see the work players are doing off the ball. Which is a massive part of the game and identifying talent. And claiming players have moved from 20 to 10 in 1 game is also ridiculous unless you have access to that teams draft order. How do you know they didn't have him ranked at that pick the whole time? Every clubs draft order is going to differ slightly. Especially ours based on the last couple of years.
Sorry, but that is a fact ! .............you place way too much credence in the so called professionalism of club recruiters ....some have selected players, without seeing that player "live" ....believe it or not

Sorry, but that is a fact ! .............you place way too much credence in the so called professionalism of club recruiters ....some have selected players, without seeing that player "live" ....believe it or not
I know for a fact that head recruiters have not seen players live before recruiting them. That's why each club has teams of recruiters. I have spoken to several at NEAFL games. But the top end talent the head recruiters are all over them. I am mates with the current Redlands ruckman and the year we picked up Hunter the Crows were very much in his ear and things were a fair way along. He had had several phone interviews with the club. He got injured and didn't play out the last part of that season, and we obviously went with Hunter in the rookie draft. I know for sure Ogilvie and Justin Reid never came up to watch him play.

Absolutely ! .....and also off the back of the National Draft Combine .....even a reality show

The 10 goals from Steele Sidebottom in the U18 GF .....probably boosted his draft rankings 10 spots .....that shouldn't have happened, if we believe the "body of work" theory

Oliver, who i picked as the Crows choice that year .....came from a late first round to #3 in the space of 6 weeks ..........there goes that "body of work" theory, yet again

Should we talk Sellar ?
Exceptions to the rule , still not one game though . Ever heard the pies tell thyou Sidebottom draft story ? They were going to take him with the pick they did and were cursing that he kicked 10 in the GF to draw attention to himself , turns out it didn’t change a thing , he was here at their pick anyway

May need some more examples

Exceptions to the rule , still not one game though . Ever heard the pies tell thyou Sidebottom draft story ? They were going to take him with the pick they did and were cursing that he kicked 10 in the GF to draw attention to himself , turns out it didn’t change a thing , he was here at their pick anyway

May need some more examples
No shortage .....just the required patience to dig up all the examples

BTW ....with the COLL story on Sidebottom .....WTF did you expect them to say ????? ......"we were ecstatic he was still there at our selection"

No shortage .....just the required patience to dig up all the examples

BTW ....with the COLL story on Sidebottom .....WTF did you expect them to say ????? ......"we were ecstatic he was still there at our selection"
So Ogilvie goes and watches 160 games + per year and then somehow a player he picks in draft never played in any of the 160 games

It’s rare as hens teeth , you are treating the exception as if it’s the norm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extremely rare
The story was to emphasize a point about various club recruiters ......do you think they're all extremely professional ?

Blaine Boekhorst was an inspired selection at #19 .....even the industry laughed at that one
upload_2018-9-17_23-11-33.png

And how did recruiters allow Cripps to get to #13 ?

So Ogilvie goes and watches 160 games + per year and then somehow a player he picks in draft never played in any of the 160 games

It’s rare as hens teeth , you are treating the exception as if it’s the norm
You know my point, we've discussed B4 ......it's what a player does in the last 6 months of his Draft Year that counts .....fluff the Nationals & you invariably slide .....have a couple of standout games & you rise

Take a snapshot of the first group of Phantom Drafts .....and compare to the final ones, by the "experts" in Draft week ......they'll be chalk & cheese

The next fallacy is that clubs select "best available" .....if that's the case, Draft Phantoms by experst shouldn't vary as much as they do .......clubs do go needs & list structure

The story was to emphasize a point about various club recruiters ......do you think they're all extremely professional ?

Blaine Boekhorst was an inspired selection at #19 .....even the industry laughed at that one
View attachment 559974

You'd be out of a job pretty quickly if you weren't.

Tom Doedee was an equally inspired selection at #16. Evidently, whoever Carlton had managing their draft side of things thought they saw something in him that could have been a mid to high AFL quality. That's the difference between an average and a great recruiter. A great one nails that left field pick.

Because recruiters thought 12 other players were better prospects at the time? I mean, it's not an exact science and horribly comes down to feel as much as anything else.

You know my point, we've discussed B4 ......it's what a player does in the last 6 months of his Draft Year that counts .....fluff the Nationals & you invariably slide .....have a couple of standout games & you rise

Take a snapshot of the first group of Phantom Drafts .....and compare to the final ones, by the "experts" in Draft week ......they'll be chalk & cheese

The next fallacy is that clubs select "best available" .....if that's the case, Draft Phantoms by experst shouldn't vary as much as they do .......clubs do go needs & list structure
Agree with all that

View attachment 559974

They’ve improved even from then

I do think they are too vic centric and miss talent from other states

Its unbelievable he slided to that number.
But club recruiters are all so professional ?

Billings, Boyd, Kolodjashnij, Aish, Lennon, & Freeman .....all selected B4 Cripps .......it's a Crap Shoot with recruiters ......who i have said select too much on a players Draft Year Form

upload_2018-9-17_23-21-9.png

You'd be out of a job pretty quickly if you weren't.

Tom Doedee was an equally inspired selection at #16. Evidently, whoever Carlton had managing their draft side of things thought they saw something in him that could have been a mid to high AFL quality. That's the difference between an average and a great recruiter. A great one nails that left field pick.

Because recruiters thought 12 other players were better prospects at the time? I mean, it's not an exact science and horribly comes down to feel as much as anything else.
This is my point exactly .....and very few have that "feel"

But club recruiters are all so professional ?

Billings, Boyd, Kolodjashnij, Aish, Lennon, & Freeman .....all selected B4 Cripps .......it's a Crap Shoot with recruiters ......who i have said select too much on a players Draft Year Form

View attachment 559977

Was that the draft year we lost picks?

They’ve improved even from then

I do think they are too vic centric and miss talent from other states
Do you think SOS is good ......does his thoughts override Carltons recruiter? ......it appears so?

Very GWS centric .....too much so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back