Prediction Hypothetical trades, other clubs moves, draft smokies, salary guesswork and whatever else thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is this supposed priority list?
Just going off the comments where people are saying Wingard should be the priority. I disagree.

As I said, would take him but not if it jeopardizes our chances of landing a Shiel or May.

Obviously if we can get him for unders we would (which I think is your point given the comment on his value being at its lowest), given he is no mug and his ceiling is high.

Just going off the comments where people are saying Wingard should be the priority. I disagree.

As I said, would take him but not if it jeopardizes our chances of landing a Shiel or May.

Obviously if we can get him for unders we would (which I think is your point given the comment on his value being at its lowest), given he is no mug and his ceiling is high.

I'd take him above Shiel and May.

Wingard would thrive under Clarko and could be a top 10 or better player in the game. He is still young too. Much younger then May, who isn't old.

I get we need a key back and forward, but if you can land a talent like wingard go hard. His upside is far higher then Shiel.

As for the midfield thing, Wingard would be a better fit then Shiel.

Between mitchell omeara Shiels and worpel we have a group that isn't really effective in other areas. They need a bulk of game time in the middle.

Wingard would play primarily forward, but would roll into the middle for maximum effect. A combination of Wingard and Burton spending time forward and mid with mitchell omeara Shiels would be very exciting.

i want us to hit the draft for once, picking up a couple of DFA's which will cost us nothing, drafting a bunch of quality kids and maybe a SANFL/WAFL/VFL player at the end, then bringing in more kids via the rookie draft would be a refreshing change.

i think trading away our future for immediate impact has us in this position (middle of the table team and deteriorating), building kids around this core group of talent we have atm is the best course of action imo and gives us supporters hope for the future.

Alright folks I have the whole thing figured out.

1. Hawthorn trades Ceglar to GWS for pick 12.
2. Trades Whitecross + Timmy O'Almost to Brisbane for pick 22.
3. Langford to Essendon* for pick 30.
4. O'Rourke to GC for pick 38.
5. Duryea to Carlton for pick 24.
6. Schoenmakers + a lock of Clarko's hair to Freo for pick 5.
7. We go out and buy a lottery ticket.
8. Numbers 5, 12, 22, 24, 30 & 38 wins us the $10m jackpot.
9. We use $5m to buy Bigfooty.com from Chief.
10. We bring back the three Premiership cups under every Hawk poster's username.
11. We permaban every Geelong, Essendon* and Sydney poster from the website.
12. We use the other $5m to fund a business that supplies AFL executives with free Au Pairs.
13. The AFL suddenly loses Jack Lukosius' draft papers and lets us know where to find them.

Sounds about right, but a bigger rug for AFL Hose, and a donation to The Kennedy Community Centre would have been better than Au Pair girls for Gil and Co.:)

Shiel in for this year first round pick and ceglar should get the job done.

Hopefully Clarko takes a crack at convincing gaff now that our season is over.

Wouldn't be opposed to signing fasalo and Hugh Goddard as FA and drafting Sam Collins. Low risk players could get some good rewards. Harry dear could also be an option but I think that's more romantic due to the hawks connection.

Left of field trade that I think couldn't hurt would be getting casboult, wouldn't cost much and would immediately be arguably our best contested mark, could help out rough and Gunston immensely. Hopefully not Vickery 2.0

halfback dasher gave us an eye opener on whose on the radar in the Big Fish thread yesterday, maybe we look at what we can offer to get some of these done rather than just going random on any player. Page 36 i think, if you're interested.

See but you're just focussing on his on-field talent & what he can bring to the team.

You need to focus more on whether you think he might be aloof & whether you hate him playing at port.
Don't forget his tattoos, hair and the fact that he hasn't been AA since 2015... all factors the list management staff will be scrutinising.

Lobb going to Freo would strengthen our hand for Shiel.

There are two limiting factors for getting/keeping players on your list.
1. Salary cap
2. Draft picks/currency

To some extent, these two are interchangeable.

We have plenty of salary cap, GWS has none. We’re short on draft picks (for the number of targets we potentially have). Draft picks is not a limiting factor for GWS. They’ve already got good young talent that doesn’t get a game when they have a fit list.

I’m not ruling out something like Ceglar (pay his salary) plus pick 32ish for Shiel.

400K towards their salary cap helps them retain Cogs or Kelly, which is much more valuable to them than pick 14 or so.

Or we could spend the extra salary on a pitch for Gaff...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gold Coast have Picks 26, 29, 38, 41. They won’t need all of those on top of 2, 3, 17 and whatever else the AFL dreams up for them.

I wonder if we can get one or two of those second round picks by convincing some of TOB, Langers, Shoey, WX or Duryea to move north for a good contract?

I don’t think any of those blokes are worth those picks except to GC.

A few more second round picks might help get us over the line for some of the other targets we’re eying off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I reckon we’ll trade in lots of new players, but only 1, max 2 a-graders with a lot of role-players - and end up with some late picks to use at draft.

My guess is:

Shiel - for our first pick and ceglar (and some later pick swaps)

A key tall - either D Moore (prob for a future 1st round pick and pick swaps) or hombsch from port (maybe we can fix his injuries? Would be a late pick) or maybe both given limited talls on list

Some b-grade or younger talent - eg Jayden hunt, Nic Newman, C Moore from tigers - for later picks (we may need to trade out eg TOB for some picks)

A couple of delisted FAs or fringe free agents (with clubs cutting hard for draft, crop is better than normal)

Can’t see us getting MM or gaff. But there’s a heap of FAs next year so need to keep some dry powder

But if we could get a midfield gun, a key back and some good role players (eg pace/skills in backline that would release Hardwick and burton up the ground) we could look a lot different next year, especially if worpel, Morrison, Hanrahan, Moore, glass etc come on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm astounded at the lack of appreciation for Wingard. If he came to us and regained that 2013-2015 form, he'd likely be the best player on our team.

I'm sure we'll pay through the nose for him if the deal gets done, but rightly so. He's a matchwinner, as you might wanna remind yourself:

Regarding Sam Collins. As he’s going to the draft, does that come with the same rules as the PSD whereby a player can nominate a price on their head? If so, could we be in the box seat because of our cap position we can get Collins to nominate a crazy figure and we can just heavily frontload a deal for him?

Trade Howe & Doc/WhiteX to GC for pick 29

14, 2019 1st, 29, 32 & Ceglar for Cogs & Shiel

We would probably have to switch that 29 & 32 into a 1st rounder. Add our 3rd if we need to make that a 1st if required.

Btw. Don’t believe we’ll get both just possible trade scenarios. I’d also imagine that we’d have to pay all or a large amount of Shiel, Cogs & Cegs contract.

I'm astounded at the lack of appreciation for Wingard. If he came to us and regained that 2013-2015 form, he'd likely be the best player on our team.

I'm sure we'll pay through the nose for him if the deal gets done, but rightly so. He's a matchwinner, as you might wanna remind yourself:

He can’t do those things now. The more tatts he’s got the worse he’s played.

He can’t do those things now. The more tatts he’s got the worse he’s played.

He can do those things with the right drive.

Port, in my mind, made a big error switching the midfield/forward ratios of Gray and Wingard.

Wingard for mine has far more tools to play forward than Gray, who is purely a crumbing or hit up lead forward.

Better than this man? The Brownlow favourite?
148393.jpg

Edit: Sorry for being lazy and just dragging my profile picture in.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back