Free Agency Scott Lycett [joins Port Adelaide as a Restricted Free Agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

What I think is interesting is how much Port are supposedly offering for a free agent ruck. Clearly he has value to them. Also, I said that West Coast probably have to send a pick back.
A top 10 pick for a ruck that's not too 5 yeah right, we value him height because he was a part of our development program and he's one of the only decent rucks out there, we're paying him a bit to get him free. Ffs some people.

we value him height because he was a part of our development program and he's one of the only decent rucks out there

Excellent, you recognise supply and demand. High demand and low supply drives up price. If Port refuse to trade for him, fair enough, but good luck getting another good ruckman in the short term. Sounds like the club have identified that they need one.

1pm can't come soon enough for this thread, how many times someone has said "oh well the eagles should match and demand a top 10 pick" it's so dumb, would Eagles give up a top 10 pick for Tom Bellchambers? Really doubt they'd want that trade for Tom English.

Excellent, you recognise supply and demand. High demand and low supply drives up price. If Port refuse to trade for him, fair enough, but good luck getting another good ruckman in the short term. Sounds like the club have identified that they need one.
Oh ffs, if he's worth a top 10 pick why don't they match?

Oh ffs, if he's worth a top 10 pick why don't they match?

I never said he was, just that West Coast have objectives to meet and perhaps they could have used Port's need for a ruckman and history with Lycett as leverage to meet those objectives. Obviously they can't if Port refuse to give up anything of value. But I don't see Port obtaining a ruckman of similar ability this window.

You seem rather annoyed over something really trivial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never said he was, just that West Coast have objectives to meet and perhaps they could have used Port's need for a ruckman and history with Lycett as leverage to meet those objectives. Obviously they can't if Port refuse to give up anything of value. But I don't see Port obtaining a ruckman of similar ability this window.

You seem rather annoyed over something really trivial.
It won't happen we're not trading for him our manager has said this also his, they expect the eagles to not match and if they did they said WE AREN'T TRADING FOR HIM. I know it's the silly season but it doesn't mean you have to be stupid also.

It won't happen we're not trading for him our manager has said this also his, they expect the eagles to not match and if they did they said WE AREN'T TRADING FOR HIM. I know it's the silly season but it doesn't mean you have to be stupid also.

Are you getting flustered mate? Take a chill pill. I already acknowledged that in my post lol

Wouldn't the contract he signed with Port subject to WCE matching then become binding?
Would be funny if a player doesn't want to move clubs, simply wants a payrise but in order to get that they have to call a bluff by accepting an offer from another team and hoping their club matches. Then their club doesn't match so they accept the lower offer to stay

Wouldn't the contract he signed with Port subject to WCE matching then become binding?

You would think so, but I'm not 100% convinced.

All that has been reported is that Port lodged an offer. Nothing about Lycett signing or accepting said offer.

Looking at it objectively you would think that it would mean at the expiry of the 3 day window that Lycett becomes a Port player and that's that.

Given it's the AFL who do things half arsed, I get the impression that when 3 days is up Lycett is free to sign with Port for the contract on offer - or not. If not, since we haven't matched, he could re-sign with us for a completely different deal. Or seek a trade. Or go into the draft. Which seems like a waste of time.

All that has been reported is that Port lodged an offer. Nothing about Lycett signing or accepting said offer.

Looking at it objectively you would think that it would mean at the expiry of the 3 day window that Lycett becomes a Port player and that's that.

Given it's the AFL who do things half arsed, I get the impression that when 3 days is up Lycett is free to sign with Port for the contract on offer - or not. If not, since we haven't matched, he could re-sign with us for a completely different deal. Or seek a trade. Or go into the draft. Which seems like a waste of time.

i see where you are coming from. Seems crazy but i have no idea

i see where you are coming from. Seems crazy but i have no idea

I mean we've been doing FA thing for 6 or 7 years now and people still aren't 100% sure how it works.

Surely the club making a FA offer should have the right to pull it.

If Port offer Lycett a deal on day 1 and by day 4 we haven't matched it, he should be a Port player at that point. If it gets to day 10 or something and we can't agree a deal he shouldn't be able to then take up the Port offer as a fall back.

Lodged paper work means the player has signed with the new club.
Lycett has signed with port. The choice is WC now. They dont match the offer after 3 days he automatically becomes a power player. If they match he stays at WC or is on traded if port or any other team lycett says he will play for trades for him.
If he tells wc it's either he stays at wc or he goes to port, wc have the option to sign him or not match in 3 days

Remove this Banner Ad

Back