Free Agency Scott Lycett [joins Port Adelaide as a Restricted Free Agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
One of the lower key restricted fa's in 2018.

Has had a 2017 to forget coming back from a pcl injury and in his 1st a WAFL game hurt his shoulder, got back and in his 1st AFL game hurt it again, put in cotton wool after minor shoulder surgery.

Either way needs to have some luck on the injury front and put together a decent 2018. Can play forward and take a clunk.

A rfa at the end of 2018.

Port were keen on Lycett when last time oout of contract and with the injury to Ryder will be likely shopping around for ruck depth for 2019.

Swans will be in a similar state and even GWS.

Ex SA lad.

Think the crows might go for him

Port have Ryder , who is elite

Then Sam Hayes (he played a great debut game 15d 7m 1 goal and some brilliant taps against crows reserves rucks)

Peter Ladhams and Billy Frampton.

We don’t have a proven afl 1st ruck after Ryder (that may change before season end) but Lycett doesn’t make sense for a 1/2 yr stop gap.

Also not going to dislodge our key forwards.

Don’t see west coast getting bugger all Comp for him if he leaves.

If the Eagles don’t want him, he should probably be delisted however seeing as it’s almost impossible for rucks to be delisted (Dan Currie and Jon Giles day hi), he’ll probably get a gig somewhere else.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Had a very good game today.

I dont think it will be a case of the Eagles not wanting him more of a case of who will pay more for longer.

If he maintains close to the form he showed today he will be in high demand. Rucks are not easy to find nor develop, they also cop a real physical bashing every week so yes they cop injuries.

Had a very good game today.

I dont think it will be a case of the Eagles not wanting him more of a case of who will pay more for longer.

If he maintains close to the form he showed today he will be in high demand. Rucks are not easy to find nor develop, they also cop a real physical bashing every week so yes they cop injuries.
GWS maybe , but he is always injured.

Mind boggling that this guys a restricted free agent. The contracts guy down at WC sure is a soft touch for players agents

Perennially injured back up ruckman ,worth nothing more than a token pick
(See vardy ,dan currie ,dawson simpson,zac smith etc)
Not sure where he goes but id imagine some club seeking a bit of ruck depth may be interested, in which case WC may as well keep him

Mind boggling that this guys a restricted free agent. The contracts guy down at WC sure is a soft touch for players agents

Not sure where he goes but id imagine some club seeking a bit of ruck depth may be interested, in which case WC may as well keep him
Uh, hes played ******* blinders last two weeks

To be fair, at the time of his last contract (got a four-year contract extension in mid-2014), Lycett was seen as having a lot more untapped potential than he has now, and there was also the "go-home" factor at play (apparently Port Adelaide expressed interest at the time). It was thought that all he needed was more opportunity to play the regular #2 ruck/back-up forward role (after Dean Cox's retirement) and he'd evolve into a very good big man.

He spent most of 2015 in the WAFL, with some injuries and senior appearances mixed in, with Callum Sinclair being favoured in that ruck/forward role. After Sinclair's departure, Lycett got his opportunity in 2016, playing 21 of 23 games, but was fairly mediocre. He then spent most of 2017 on the shelf with shoulder problems, playing 1 AFL match and 4 WAFL matches mid-year. His development has stagnated, and for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be much better now than he was at the start of his latest contract. Given that he's basically spent a year out with injury, I'd be willing to give him a bit of time this season to show what he has though.

Definitely needs to have a good rest of 2018, to re-establish his value, to the Eagles and other teams in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Uh, hes played ******* blinders last two weeks
Ill admit i didnt watch much of the bulldogs game but given he was up against tim english and not much more plus a bulldogs team thats about the worst in the competition, i wouldnt be hanging my hat on that performance if ii was him
I watched the sydney game and he was very mediocre at best,especially again taking in the quality of his opposition (sydneys 3rd string ruck)

I can agree he Showed some promise the year he signed his last contract but developmentally has stalled ,even regresesed in a number of aspects,injury hasnt helped but thats just a part of the game ,especially for ruckman,
unfortunately

I watched the sydney game and he was very mediocre at best,especially again taking in the quality of his opposition (sydneys 3rd string ruck)

IMO, Callum Sinclair should be considered Sydney's #1 ruckman. Sam Naismith wasn't that good last year at all IMO, and I was perplexed when he was continuing to play the lead ruck role ahead of Sinclair and Kurt Tippett. He just doesn't do a whole lot outside of contesting the tap, and should be far more physical around the stoppages than he is with his huge body (205cm, 107kg) as well.

That being said, Lycett gave away a bunch of free kicks and made a number of errors with the footy against Sydney, so I wouldn't say he had a good game in the opener at all.

To be fair, at the time of his last contract (got a four-year contract extension in mid-2014), Lycett was seen as having a lot more untapped potential than he has now, and there was also the "go-home" factor at play (apparently Port Adelaide expressed interest at the time). It was thought that all he needed was more opportunity to play the regular #2 ruck/back-up forward role (after Dean Cox's retirement) and he'd evolve into a very good big man.

He spent most of 2015 in the WAFL, with some injuries and senior appearances mixed in, with Callum Sinclair being favoured in that ruck/forward role. After Sinclair's departure, Lycett got his opportunity in 2016, playing 21 of 23 games, but was fairly mediocre. He then spent most of 2017 on the shelf with shoulder problems, playing 1 AFL match and 4 WAFL matches mid-year. His development has stagnated, and for whatever reason, he doesn't seem to be much better now than he was at the start of his latest contract. Given that he's basically spent a year out with injury, I'd be willing to give him a bit of time this season to show what he has though.

Definitely needs to have a good rest of 2018, to re-establish his value, to the Eagles and other teams in the league.
If Lycett stays fit, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a fair bit of interest by year's end.

If the Eagles don’t want him, he should probably be delisted however seeing as it’s almost impossible for rucks to be delisted (Dan Currie and Jon Giles day hi), he’ll probably get a gig somewhere else.
Won't be delisted. Would probably be first ruck at Geelong, GWS, Sydney, Bulldogs or St Kilda.

Lycett hasn't had more than 3 hitouts to advantage all year. His ruck work is meaningless.

I actually think he's a bit better than that. And he's got some mongrel.
He is like an injuries Bomb , once sold no return. Worth a third or 4th rd pick ,anything more club will wait until desperate .

He's a free agent.
Umm not sure how much he is worth to be honest ( i mean club offering him good contract) . How much he is on with west coast .

Edit: Just listen to radio , Currently on 500k a year , maybe Sydney or Gws will offer 600k or 700k .

Last edited:
Umm not sure how much he is worth to be honest ( i mean club offering him good contract) . How much he is on with west coast .

Edit: Just listen to radio , Currently on 500k a year , maybe Sydney or Gws will offer 600k or 700k .

$6-700k = Band 2 compo same as Motlop. Still only 25 as well. Would need to be a 3 year deal min to move surely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back