Free Agency Scott Lycett [joins Port Adelaide as a Restricted Free Agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

It's well and truly overs, but I assume they want Ryder at CHF, so it has to be weighed up with how that works out.

Right now I'd doubt he's a top 10 AFL ruckman. Maybe not even top 15.
Maybe you could mock up a pic of Lycett in a Port jumper? You're good at those.

So Lycett's manager is on Trade Radio at the moment and has so far said:
- Lycett pleading with WCE to match the offer because he's changed his mind is false
- Pay rumoured in the media is vastly overstated, the years (5) is correct.
- WCE have known for a while

Disappointing from a 'WCE pull a win out of their arse' meme perspective, good from a 'Oh s**t I'm a port fan and we need another ruck' perspective.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...rt-adelaides-scott-lycett-offer-ng-b88984302z

WEST Coast are considering matching Port Adelaide’s bid for free agent Scott Lycett.

The Power lodged their five-year, $3 million offer with the AFL on Saturday in a bid to land the services of the premiership ruckman.

But with 24 hours remaining for the Eagles to match the deal, football boss Craig Vozzo said the club was considering doing exactly that.

West Coast’s ruck stocks took a hit with Nic Naitanui’s knee injury earlier this year, and while they have been in talks with St Kilda’s Tom Hickey and Western Bulldogs’ Jordan Roughead, Vozzo said there was a clear need on the club’s list.

“We have to make that call (to match the offer) by the middle of the day tomorrow and obviously, we need a ruckman,” he said.

“It’s certainly something we need to consider.”

Vozzo said matching the bid would not have a major bearing on the club’s total player payments and was confident Lycett would be happy to stay around.

“I think he’s been really happy at our club for eight years and having just experienced a grand final he’s in a really good space,” he said.

“I don’t think it would be the end of the world for him.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I'm West Coast, I match and then demand Port's first round pick or North's pick from the Polec trade. Throw in a pick in return if they must, but get one of them to trade for Kelly.

Trade radio has a blurb thing that is read out periodically about the free agency process.

If West Coast matches, Lycett can choose to stay, seek a trade or go into the draft.

I don't see why Lycett couldn't then re-negotiate his contract with West Coast though. Players re-negotiate their contracts all the time, to restructure or reduce their wages in order to bring in other players, or to front-load/increase it so the club meets minimum TPP.

Whether he'd have to sign the matched contract and then re-negotiate it, or just re-negotiate straight away... or even choose to re-sign before the RFA offer period lapses? I'm not exactly sure how it would work but it would have to be possible.

If I'm West Coast, I match and then demand Port's first round pick or North's pick from the Polec trade. Throw in a pick in return if they must, but get one of them to trade for Kelly.
Best sit this one out. Seriously a first for a free agent ruck? Interesting how people think.

Trade radio has a blurb thing that is read out periodically about the free agency process.

If West Coast matches, Lycett can choose to stay, seek a trade or go into the draft.

I don't see why Lycett couldn't then re-negotiate his contract with West Coast though. Players re-negotiate their contracts all the time, to restructure or reduce their wages in order to bring in other players, or to front-load/increase it so the club meets minimum TPP.

Whether he'd have to sign the matched contract and then re-negotiate it, or just re-negotiate straight away... or even choose to re-sign before the RFA offer period lapses? I'm not exactly sure how it would work but it would have to be possible.

It's still pretty rubbery what the actual protocols are.

If clubs can match then renegotiate lesser deals then it seems kind of pointless.

It *seems* the way this has gone down is Port have lodged an offer and we have 3 days to match. If we match, they must trade for Lycett or walk away and if Lycett wants to re-sign we are bound by the terms of the Port offer. If we don't match, Lycett is free to sign that contract and join them. If we don't match, Lycett is under no obligation to accept the offer and join them and can re-sign with us for any contract we offer that is agreeable. Is that right...?

It's still pretty rubbery what the actual protocols are.

If clubs can match then renegotiate lesser deals then it seems kind of pointless.

It *seems* the way this has gone down is Port have lodged an offer and we have 3 days to match. If we match, they must trade for Lycett or walk away and if Lycett wants to re-sign we are bound by the terms of the Port offer. If we don't match, Lycett is free to sign that contract and join them. If we don't match, Lycett is under no obligation to accept the offer and join them and can re-sign with us for any contract we offer that is agreeable. Is that right...?
Yep.

The main idea is that West Coast can't prevent him from leaving by offering him less than the formal offer from another club. "Matching" meaning that the dollars and length of time are the same I think, so it doesn't have to be identical with KPIs etc?

I doubt being a free agent would force a player to leave their current club, simply because their original club can't or won't match it. Sort of voids the idea of free agency if they have less ability to stay at their club than at any other time in their career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back