Mega Thread 2018 Trade Period Discussion part 2! (cont. in Part 3 - link in OP)

What are we going to do??

• 4 picks 21 and under? Back in Hamish!

Votes: 74 67.9%
  • Trade up! We’re getting Lukosius / Rankine / Rozee!!!

Votes: 35 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be very happy with that. Pick 4 gets us one of the guns. Pick 8 a slider. Pick 21 an Ogilvie special.

Can't see any of it happening though. Both GC and STK will want pick 8 in any deal plus much much more.

Ive sat on the GC board and their posters arent interested unless its a selling the farm deal, I assume the Saints would be the same.

Lets just hope the GCS and Saints take all the top 3, SA boys.

I agree that on a gun for gun basis, we're striking slightly above 50%. Sloane, Talia and both Crouches (maybe Douglas, he was good at one point), versus Dangerfield, Lever and Gunston.

But I actually don't think our retention has anything to do with players being specifically from Victoria.

Victoria: Sloane, Talia, Crouches vs Dangerfield, Gunston, Lever
Other Interstate: Van Berlo vs Tippett, McGovern, Cameron
SA: Plenty of players vs Davis, Bock

Our retention from outside of Victoria and SA is horrific. Not one very good player we've drafted has stayed.

I'm also not sure if our sample size of 6-7 very good Victorian players over 18 years is large enough. We simply haven't drafted many elite players from outside SA. Could you count Lynch, Seedsman and Jenkins as retention wins, signing on for multiple extensions after being traded here?

Personally I reckon our retention has more to do with our payment structure compared to the origin of where a player is drafted. Especially with guys like Davis (SA to NSW), Tippett (Qld to NSW), Cameron (WA to Qld) and McGovern (WA to Vic). McGovern being from outside SA had nothing to do with him choosing to play at Carlton of all teams.

If we draft a gun from interstate and we're willing to pay the price, I think we are more likely than not to keep them. Retaining spuds like Mackay, Hampton, Henderson, Menzel, etc. on fat mid-tier contracts hasn't helped us at all.
How many games dis Tyson Stenglein play before he requested a trade home?

Ive sat on the GC board and their posters arent interested unless its a selling the farm deal, I assume the Saints would be the same.

Lets just hope the GCS and Saints take all the top 3, SA boys.
Gold Coast is really interesting.
They clearly need two calls - like the King twins, but might think they are a flight risk.

They clearly need elite talent - like Lukosious & Rankine, but might think they are a flight risk.

What they do will determine the whole draft.

Jesus this David Mackay bullshit that seems permeate every thread is truly tiresome and to put it bluntly boring, this is the trade period discussion FFS.

Luke Partington now that he's been delisted is one DFA worth a look for sure, SA lad, good accumulator and decent skill set, certainly up to AFL standard I would think and would be very serious depth if nothing else.

Last edited:
Jesus this David Mackay bullshit that seems permeate every thread is truly tiresome and put it bluntly boring, this is the trade period discussion FFS.

Luke Partington now that he's been delisted is one DFA worth a look for sure, SA lad, good accumulator and decent skill set, certainly up to AFL standard I would think and would be very serious depth if nothing else.
That’s a Port special

They clearly need two calls - like the King twins, but might think they are a flight risk.

They clearly need elite talent - like Lukosious & Rankine, but might think they are a flight risk.

The Kings have expressed a desire to play together. If Gold Coast selects both, then this wish may be hard for them to achieve in Victoria.

They can’t be drafted by the one Vic team and even if they want to go home, would a trade to the same team even be possible? First off the Vic team would need to have a want for both of them and then they would struggle to come up with the currency to get both.

Playing for the Gold Coast might be their best option.

Jesus this David Mackay bullshit that seems permeate every thread is truly tiresome and to put it bluntly boring, this is the trade period discussion FFS.
Agreed!
It's hard to see us signing any DFAs, given the picks we have and the number of list vacancies we currently have available.

Surely the only argument is whether you rate our trading period a C or a D?

I know people are saying that "live draft pick trading" blah blah blah and it'd be great if we did but being realistic, what we have done so far is all we will do, we will take four early picks to the draft. We haven't addressed our rucks, we may have addressed our Cameron absence by trading out McGovern and we appeared to have traded Gov pretty frickin quickly. Can't rate this trade period as any sort of positive at all, putting a lot of pressure on Hamish to sort out the s**t the club has done in the last 12 months with 4 canny picks.

I think we'll try and trade picks which is why we haven't delisted the uncontracted players yet. If we end up with a couple less picks from trading up then I reckon we'll see a couple of those players retained instead of a couple of 4th-5th rounders.

Every Gold Coast player will be at risk of leaving. Not necessarily even to their home state. I think the key for them is to focus on building a largely talented squad, rather than build a team around star individuals. As soon as any Gold Coast player is worth giving up a couple of first round picks and giving a big $600k+ contract, they become a flight risk. It doesn't matter which state they are from.

All clubs have this risk to different extents. Some clubs have more intrinsic protection against this, but Gold Coast will always be at the bottom or the rung and find it hardest to retain players.

That’s a Port special
OK tell me more about Luke Partington then and your reasoning to say that.

East Perth's 2018 Best and Fairest, 24 votes in the 2018 Sandover Medal, East Perth's top vote getter, only 21 years old and unable to break into WCE's stacked midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we have a decent year next year and our first is 11 upwards, would next years first, 13&16 be worth doing for pick 3 or 4?

Would Gold Coast or Saints be interested?

Leaves us 4,8 & 21. Or is that too much to give?

I suspect that the Saints and GC would want a hell of a lot more for pick 3/4 than 13 and 16, if the roles were reversed and we did a deal like that we'd be wanting to burn down the club.

8, 13 and 16 may potentially get us 4 or 5, maybe if we went 8, 13 and our 2019 1st we might be able to get our hands on Pick 2.

The reality is that pick 2 gets us Lukosious, but it's going to cost the king's ransom to get our hands on it.

YES OT IS!!!!!!

okay so we changed out coaching staff heaps now n of. Season, what’s up with that?

Is camporeale even mid cocacj anymore?

I don’t think he is, so that’s good according to Bf

And do we have a different ruck coach?

I think so too but I can’t be arsed looking it up

WOOOOOO O OŌÒÖÔÕ!!!

Okay so we haven’t traded up inpicks but there’s still five weeks of ******* around

Also I am in the front bar of he Wheatsheaf so if anyone wants to have fun - @raveslave can back me up on this - nownis the time to come and say high

Brilliant post.

Reckon Port or the Crows would have traded for him with a late unusable pick if either were going to take him in the main draft. We should definitely rookie him if possible. You just know he is going to go back and dominate in the SANFL. If he can't break into our team we can trade him as a mature ager at the end of next season. Good outcomes possible - breaks into our best 22/ helps our SANFL development side/ gets us a 3rd or even 2nd rounder next year.

The Kings have expressed a desire to play together. If Gold Coast selects both, then this wish may be hard for them to achieve in Victoria.

They can’t be drafted by the one Vic team and even if they want to go home, would a trade to the same team even be possible? First off the Vic team would need to have a want for both of them and then they would struggle to come up with the currency to get both.

Not sure how expressing a desire to play together is much different from expressing a desire to stay in your home state.

Reckon Port or the Crows would have traded for him with a late unusable pick if either were going to take him in the main draft. We should definitely rookie him if possible. You just know he is going to go back and dominate in the SANFL. If he can't break into our team we can trade him as a mature ager at the end of next season. Good outcomes possible - breaks into our best 22/ helps our SANFL development side/ gets us a 3rd or even 2nd rounder next year.
Let's put it this way, Partington has shown far more in the WAFL and more in the AFL than Myles Poholke at this time.

OK tell me more about Luke Partington then and your reasoning to say that.

East Perth's 2018 Best and Fairest, 24 votes in the 2018 Sandover Medal, East Perth's top vote getter, only 21 years old and unable to break into WCE's stacked midfield.
It wasn’t meant to be a criticism of Luke, I know nothing about him.

It was that Port has no depth and will be looking to top up with delisted free agents.

I suspect that the Saints and GC would want a hell of a lot more for pick 3/4 than 13 and 16, if the roles were reversed and we did a deal like that we'd be wanting to burn down the club.

8, 13 and 16 may potentially get us 4 or 5, maybe if we went 8, 13 and our 2019 1st we might be able to get our hands on Pick 2.

The reality is that pick 2 gets us Lukosious, but it's going to cost the king's ransom to get our hands on it.
I said next years first rounder with 13 & 16.

I rate the king boys top 4 with Walsh and rankine, so wouldn't be a bad decision by GC to get both of them.

Let's put it this way, Partington has shown far more in the WAFL and more in the AFL than Myles Poholke at this time.

He is only 21 too. Poholke being contracted is probably what stops us from trading for him last week. Maybe we still take him in the draft if we end up trading into fewer picks. But otherwise we should definitely be adding him to the rookie list. Signarello surely not retained. Poholke, CEY and Partington in the SANFL and maybe only one survives the cut at the end of 2019.

Look, I am far from an expert on this but I am certain that Milera was in Port's Indigenous Academy. Just because a player is in such academy, it does not give Port the ability to big for such player and match offers. NGA and IA are different and I don't believe that you have the ability to match offer for IA players.

I am sure there is someone out there that is more across this topic than I am but I am 100% certain Milera was in Port's IA during his draft year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back