AFLW 2019 Season structure announcement at 11am AEDT today, Oct 26th.

Remove this Banner Ad

More afternoon games in February in Perth. That's gonna suck for everyone concerned.
The bad news.
Still too many afternoon (starting before 4.05) games, around Aust., in the HOT Aust. summer. Hurts skill execution: when hands are sweaty, sweat/sunscreen running into players' eyes, "blinding" sun high in the sky, extra fatigue, reduced Ratings because games not telecast in Prime Time.
Lower skills provide ammunition for the critics.

The good news.
Coll. games at big, bad, boisterous, breathtaking, beautiful, behemoth: back at Vic. Park! Huge boost for the AFLW!
The surface is superb, thousand of seats undercover, good tiered viewing for fans, pubs & cafe are nearby, & will be rocking pre/post game.
Can we bring eskies & real beer (no fence)?!

No more flat suburban ovals -we want ol' time tiered footy grounds everwhere in Aust. for the AFLW.

Last edited:
How does Geelong get it's home games at GMBHA Stadium. Blatant favouritism to the newbies.

We've been hoping for Spotless for years.

Blacktown is ok, but a bit of a pain to get to by public transport. It would suit many who live out west though. Drummoyne Oval last year in the rain was not. Hope it's sunny next year.

That's correct I believe and, of course, the games women are still part time which makes it harder to play night games outside of Saturdays
Most of our players actually leave other employment for the season I believe. Many are currently from interstate, hopefully that will reduce in time and it should. Frankly if Drummoyne Oval is suitable for a night fixture then other states with many more Aussie Rules grounds have no excuse.

The conference system is a bit of a joke.

Given that teams are playing 60% of the teams in the other conference, why have it?

What's wrong with just teams playing 7 games anyway, and having a single ladder where 1st plays 4th and 2nd plays 3rd for the two knockout prelims? It's a fundamentally less unfair system, as much as any system you have to fit seven teams in the competition.

All you're doing is introducing the possibility of the 3rd or 4th best team in the competition being 3rd on their conference ladder and a worse team missing out on finals. Or, something that's a lot more likely to happen, the 2nd team in the conference having to play an away final to the 1st team in the other conference, despite having won more games.

Conferences exist in other sports for television, travel or historical reasons involving two different leagues. Here they didn't have conferences, and they formed them.

The only reason I can think of having conferences (apart from decreasing the amount of less dead-rubber week 6/7 games as more teams are in the finals race), is that the AFL got so much pushback from not increasing the competition to 9 games, that they had had to retrofit a reason for it to have 7 games - even at the cost of undermining the "fairness" of who qualifies for finals.

Not getting the criticism that it deserves as a system.

Of course, the inability to extend the length of the season caused the issue in the first place, but that's a criticism to discuss for another time.

Bulldogs and Collingwood should lose 1 home game each and redistributed to Brisbane and north Melbourne.

5 teams have to have 4 home games, 5 have 3 with this structure.

So they should have given the 4 nonxvictorian teams plus the one who is in the joint venture with Tasmania the 4 home games.

Bulldogs and Collingwood should lose 1 home game each and redistributed to Brisbane and north Melbourne.

5 teams have to have 4 home games, 5 have 3 with this structure.

So they should have given the 4 nonxvictorian teams plus the one who is in the joint venture with Tasmania the 4 home games.
Okay make North the home team for the game against Collingwood at Marvel. It makes no difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unsure on whether to pay the $95 for the top tier crows women’s membership

Can’t get to the rd 1 game but can do rd 4 and 6.
But I actually enjoy unley oval in the outer.
Don’t see the value of paying $95 for a grandstand seat for 1 game. Would’ve done it for 3, and contemplated 2. But the seats in the unley grandstand are shite. And a far way away. Will be sitting on the outer that day.

Also surprised the afl went with unley oval.
Probably the worst ground to be playing women’s football at of the sanfl grounds.
Norwood oval, prospect oval, alberton oval (and theberton oval) - umpires can get on the field without going near the change rooms
Elizabeth oval, Woodville oval, nourlunga oval, Richmond oval - umpires and/or players walk past each other’s changerooms
Unley oval - the umpires have to walk THROUGH one teams changeroom To get to their rooms. (The game I did there, the players were on the field before we went onto the field, and were still out there after I changed and left, so no issues then - but it can be an issue)

Glenelg oval - unsure as I having officiated there since the storm damaged facilities and they change do the whole layout.

I don’t know the full AFLw panel for umpires this coming year in adelaide, but from those I do know 33% are male. (And I’m willing to bet there’s more than that in sa)

I just don’t like the idea that the umpires will walk through the gws changeroom. We’re trying to make this a professional league and they schedule that? Bullshit.

While I don't like the conference structure, the conferences chosen make sense. 2 established Vic teams in each, plus an expansion team, and 2 non Vic teams closest to each other geographically.

It does seem A is a little stronger, but teams can change so quickly, it may not turn out that way.

The reality is, apart from the finals, it isn't really a conference system. You could have the exact same fixture without using conferences. The conferences really only exist to deflect criticism of a less than 1 game per opponent fixture.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

The reality is, apart from the finals, it isn't really a conference system. You could have the exact same fixture without using conferences. The conferences really only exist to deflect criticism of a less than 1 game per opponent fixture
Which is what I'm getting at above. They're so desperate to deflect criticism, they're willing to undermine the fairness of who qualifies for finals (and who receives home finals) to achieve it. Not great from the league.

While I don't like the conference structure, the conferences chosen make sense. 2 established Vic teams in each, plus an expansion team, and 2 non Vic teams closest to each other geographically.

It does seem A is a little stronger, but teams can change so quickly, it may not turn out that way.

The reality is, apart from the finals, it isn't really a conference system. You could have the exact same fixture without using conferences. The conferences really only exist to deflect criticism of a less than 1 game per opponent fixture.

The conference structure means you are competing for the same finals spots with teams that all play each-other

I suspect it is also setting up for the year after as well

So my prediction is next year we will have

Group A plus West Coast and the Saints
Group B plus Richmond and the Suns

They'll play just one cross over and (hopefully) 3 week finals and consolidate for at least 2 years before bringing in the last 4 (and hopefully expanding the season)

Group A plus West Coast and the Saints
Group B plus Richmond and the Suns

)
I think they’ll go the other way completely.
Play your own team once and a crossover rivalry game of sorts

I think they’ll go the other way completely.
Play your own team once and a crossover rivalry game of sorts

The extra game is a double up with the derby team?

Interesting idea...I think the issue is there will always (assuming the last four teams come in in the same year) where there will always be an odd number in each conference requiring a cross over or bye round

I forgot it was four new teams next season - thought it was just another two

the standard will drop below the first season, surely...

Nah it will still improve, but just at a slower rate than if there were still only 8 teams

2020 was when they were first planning on starting

They will be the first players that accessed proper elite pathways from early teens

The greater base of players would have had 1 to 3 seasons in a professionalised environment

It will still be far better than the first season

I forgot it was four new teams next season - thought it was just another two

the standard will drop below the first season, surely...
2 of those teams will be in previously 1 team states, and will have little impact outside those states.

In Vic, you are adding 2 teams to 6 teams instead of 2 to 4, so theoretically, each team loses fewer players than this year

Aside from Brisbane and Freo therefore, the impact should be less than this year.

If the standard this year holds up or improves, then next season should be ok.

It needs to be remembered that even players in their 3rd year have played less than 20 AFLW games and have had 2 relatively short pre seasons. There is still plenty of improvement there as well.

Unsure on whether to pay the $95 for the top tier crows women’s membership

Can’t get to the rd 1 game but can do rd 4 and 6.
But I actually enjoy unley oval in the outer.
Don’t see the value of paying $95 for a grandstand seat for 1 game. Would’ve done it for 3, and contemplated 2. But the seats in the unley grandstand are shite. And a far way away. Will be sitting on the outer that day.

Also surprised the afl went with unley oval.
Probably the worst ground to be playing women’s football at of the sanfl grounds.
Norwood oval, prospect oval, alberton oval (and theberton oval) - umpires can get on the field without going near the change rooms
Elizabeth oval, Woodville oval, nourlunga oval, Richmond oval - umpires and/or players walk past each other’s changerooms
Unley oval - the umpires have to walk THROUGH one teams changeroom To get to their rooms. (The game I did there, the players were on the field before we went onto the field, and were still out there after I changed and left, so no issues then - but it can be an issue)

Glenelg oval - unsure as I having officiated there since the storm damaged facilities and they change do the whole layout.

I don’t know the full AFLw panel for umpires this coming year in adelaide, but from those I do know 33% are male. (And I’m willing to bet there’s more than that in sa)

I just don’t like the idea that the umpires will walk through the gws changeroom. We’re trying to make this a professional league and they schedule that? Bullshit.
I have actually bought our membership for $65 but I though all entry was free? We had a roped off grass area and a beanbag to value add for members. It's more of a support thing for me though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back