Dom Sheeds goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at this soft numpty. More interested in roughing up a first year player than doing the hard stuff and actually contesting the drop of the ball.
Rioli, just trying to show Maynard where he should be ie- where the ball is going.

And all he gets for his trouble, is a whack across the face, poor show Maynard,

Look at this soft numpty. More interested in roughing up a first year player than doing the hard stuff and actually contesting the drop of the ball.
Rioli, just trying to show Maynard where he should be ie- where the ball is going.

And all he gets for his trouble, is a whack across the face, poor show Maynard,

In terms of pure execution, Blight's goal will probably never be beaten.

When adding the context of a Grand Final in, I'm not sure there's been a better one at the highest level than Sheed.

You can find it on Youtube under 'When blatant free kicks cost a team a premiership'.
IKR

purchased-image-leo-barry-you-star-hires.jpg

For old times sake, the classic Maynard high contact free that wasn’t paid:

View attachment 580438

It still blows my mind how Pies fans think that was a free kick to their guy. Look where Sheed is. Look which direction Maynard is running. They don’t line up. Maynard is running away from the ball and blocking out his opponent.

As Ryan marked upfield Maynard is waving his arms around signalling for support as he is outnumbered 2 to 1. He stations himself between Sheed & Rioli as Ryan kicks.
The kick favours Sheed so Rioli moves up and engages Maynard to stop him getting to Sheed and to get him unbalanced. As Rioli initiates the contact, he goes lower and immediately has the advantage with his lower centre of gravity. Rioli is pushing into Maynard using his leg power as well. Maynard is facing Sheed & can see he’s going to mark, but he can’t overpower Rioli.
upload_2018-11-3_10-27-21.jpeg

With the advantage Rioli leans right in and begins to exert more force, pushing Maynard and twisting him around
upload_2018-11-3_10-29-43.jpeg

Rioli clearly has the advantage and has his hands on Maynard’s chest, while Maynard off balance flails around
upload_2018-11-3_10-31-50.jpeg

Hands firmly in Maynard’s chest, here comes the push that sends Maynard spinning around.

Only in the last second is Maynard facing the wrong way - and that’s because of the push.

The umpires did not deem it worthy of a free.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As Ryan marked upfield Maynard is waving his arms around signalling for support as he is outnumbered 2 to 1. He stations himself between Sheed & Rioli as Ryan kicks.
The kick favours Sheed so Rioli moves up and engages Maynard to stop him getting to Sheed and to get him unbalanced. As Rioli initiates the contact, he goes lower and immediately has the advantage with his lower centre of gravity. Rioli is daring into Maynard usinghis legs as well. Maynard is facing Sheed but can’t overpower Rioli.
View attachment 580992

With the advantage Rioli leans right in and begins to exert force, pushing Maynard and twisting him around
View attachment 580995

Rioli clearly has the advantage and has his hands on Maynard’s chest, while Maynard off balance flails around
View attachment 580997

Hands firmly in Maynard’s chest, here comes the push that sends Maynard spinning around.

Only in the last second is Maynard facing the wrong way - and that’s because of the push.
Rioli is entitled to body Maynard and use his hands to push off his chest it's a marking contest and Maynard is running towards him, the fact Sheed is in front is irrelevant.
No free kick, correct call was made.

The last photo shows that Rioli has not engaged in any marking contest. His only aim is to prevent Maynard engaging with Sheed.
Sheed is the marking contest, Rioli is not.
As I said, the umpires deemed it not worthy of a free & that’s that.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s a free - I’m just trying to show exactly what happened.
Other posters were suggesting Maynard didn’t know Sheed was there (wrong) or that Maynard was running away from Sheed (wrong) or that Maynard initiated contact (wrong).
The only photo I can’t get comes just before the ones I posted. Rioli is at least 5 metres behind Maynard who is looking at Sheed, and Rioli knows to stop him, comes up from behind and he engages.
It was good play from Rioli to get to Maynard and stop him.
The umps had one second to decide on a free - and they decided no.
But at least the debate should be about what actually happened!!

The last photo shows that Rioli has not engaged in any marking contest. His only aim is to prevent Maynard engaging with Sheed.
Sheed is the marking contest, Rioli is not.
As I said, the umpires deemed it not worthy of a free & that’s that.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying it’s a free - I’m just trying to show exactly what happened.
Other posters were suggesting Maynard didn’t know Sheed was there (wrong) or that Maynard was running away from Sheed (wrong) or that Maynard initiated contact (wrong).
The only photo I can’t get comes just before the ones I posted. Rioli is at least 5 metres behind Maynard who is looking at Sheed, and Rioli knows to stop him, comes up from behind and he engages.
It was good play from Rioli to get to Maynard and stop him.
The umps had one second to decide on a free - and they decided no.
But at least the debate should be about what actually happened!!
You could probably take stills of about 100 instances in the game that could be free kicks if that was the only information you had. The best assessment is real time, this has the most validity because you are comparing apples with apples.

Dom sheed's goal isnt getting the credit it deserves because dom sheed kicked it. If a superstar had kicked it, it would still be getting covered on tv and universally agreed as the greatest kick of all time.

Incredibky clutch kick by a bog average player

You could probably take stills of about 100 instances in the game that could be free kicks if that was the only information you had. The best assessment is real time, this has the most validity because you are comparing apples with apples.

But in real time majority of people said it was a Sheppard/block off the contest and replays confirm it. You can't prevent a player from getting to the contest which is exactly what Rioli did. He didn't engage him to be in the marking contest only to prevent Maynard from getting to it (sheed).

I love the idea of Collingwood supporters forensically examining the Sheed footage frame by frame like it was the Zapruder film, pausing and raging, pausing and raging ...

Dom sheed's goal isnt getting the credit it deserves because dom sheed kicked it. If a superstar had kicked it, it would still be getting covered on tv and universally agreed as the greatest kick of all time.

Incredibky clutch kick by a bog average player
Sheeds stats after returning to the side toward the end of the year suggest he's anything but bog average. Was probably in our best 3 or 4 players in the finals.

Sheeds stats after returning to the side toward the end of the year suggest he's anything but bog average. Was probably in our best 3 or 4 players in the finals.
You know what i mean though....plenty of eagles fana have bagged him over the years...the point is that it was one of the toughest kicks ever made in the history of the game and he slotted it with ease..if buddy had kicked that, the afl world would have gone into meltdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back