Things you don't see often

Remove this Banner Ad

Used to love the roundabout ride as a kid. Plenty of bruises from this. Are they all gone now?

View attachment 586376

the one from my local park has been gone for ages. Loved it as a kid, did some underage drinking in that park later on in my teen years and one of my friends smashed his mouth pretty bad trying to jump off it as it was spinning at full speed.

Pinball Parlours

10049724814_6cb7a5f04e.jpg

Used to love the roundabout ride as a kid. Plenty of bruises from this. Are they all gone now?

View attachment 586376

My local park near my holiday house had an even better one- think of an "egg shaped" one you sat inside of- up to 4 ppl could fit in it. And the disc in the middle you spun around to turn it.

Was ******* awesome.

And of course its gone.

My local park near my holiday house had an even better one- think of an "egg shaped" one you sat inside of- up to 4 ppl could fit in it. And the disc in the middle you spun around to turn it.

Was ******* awesome.

And of course its gone.

Legit getting head spins just thinking back about those. Good riddance!

Go with the incinerator theme and say bonfire. Remember as a kid neighbours next door used to not bother with an incinerator or hard waste if they wanted to get rid of something they'd basically start a fire in their backyard and chuck everything on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Define Asian. Heaps of Indians and Sri Lankans. In fact one of the non Australian World Cup games got close to 90K.

Asian in Australia typically means SE or E Asian. Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Filo, Indonesian. Most Aussies can't distinguish between a lot of nationalities in our region, plus you have places like Singapore and Malaysia which have crossovers between ethnicities etc.

In the UK if you said Asian people would assume South Asian. There are over 2m Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi people in the UK compared to about 250k Chinese. Here that is more like 1.2m Chinese to 600k Indians.

People here will say things like 'I work with a two Asian guys and an Indian guy' which you would never hear in the UK. If you are from Pakistan, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka and live in Australia chances are you have been called 'Indian' plenty of times. There's no real collective term used for people from the subcontinent that isn't mildly racist. It used to be OK to shorten Pakistanis to Pakis but that's become a no no as the connotations elsewhere aren't nice.

Not sure how the 'Muricans roll but they are big on hypen-Americans. Chinese-American, Japanese-American etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Asian in Australia typically means SE or E Asian. Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Filo, Indonesian... pretty much anyone who looks vaguely yellow skinned and squinty eyed. Most Aussies can't distinguish between a lot of nationalities in our region, plus you have places like Singapore and Malaysia which have crossovers between ethnicities etc.

In the UK if you said Asian people would assume South Asian. There are over 2m Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi people in the UK compared to about 250k Chinese. Here that is more like 1.2m Chinese to 600k Indians.

People here will say things like 'I work with a two Asian guys and an Indian guy' which you would never hear in the UK. If you are from Pakistan, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka and live in Australia chances are you have been called 'Indian' plenty of times. There's no real collective term used for people from the subcontinent that isn't mildly racist. It used to be OK to shorten Pakistanis to Pakis but that's become a no no as the connotations elsewhere aren't nice.

Not sure how the 'Muricans roll but they are big on hypen-Americans. Chinese-American, Japanese-American etc.

Jesus Christ Scotland.

Just calling it how it is.

Do you really think your average Australian is more discerning than that?

My step Mum is Filo so have spent a lot of time with them so am pretty good at picking them out in a crowd. I think I'm pretty good at picking out Japanese too. The rest , no.

And agree with your above statement.

Asian in Australia typically means SE or E Asian. Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Filo, Indonesian. Most Aussies can't distinguish between a lot of nationalities in our region, plus you have places like Singapore and Malaysia which have crossovers between ethnicities etc.

See, I would take offence if I wasn’t called an Asian. Asia spreads all the way from Turkey to Indonesia in one direction and Japan in the other direction. And therefore should be defined as such.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back