Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixon has been hung out to dry by coaching, but he should be better nonetheless.

We had Schulz bang through 30+ in injury interrupted seasons in 10, 11, 12, when we stunk.

The coaching isn't holding Dixon back by that much, or... he just isn't that good.

Last edited:
You are saying it as if its his fault.
Interesting, perhaps unintentionally I was.
Perhaps Charlie has to ask to be left to be our CHF and not substitute getting involved in contests all over the ground for effectiveness as a forward. He needs to stay inside our forward 50m arc as if zoned there like a U8 game. He needs to be scoring, or in that area creating scoring opportunities for others. It's not vital that he rucks. It looks great when he's a big rollicking midfielder bulldozing the ball out of a pack but it looks pants when we move forward and the only players already set up in our forward line are opposition defenders. When Charlie plays a game like the season killing second Freo game where he had 16 disposals and no goals then yes it is his fault because 2 disposals and 2 goals would have won us that game.

Whichever way you choose to paint it and whoever you choose to blame, having your sole key forward kick multiple goals in only 4 of 20 games is a spectacular failure that undermines the entire forward line setup. Charlie needs to be more productive next year and I'm confident that with the addition of Lycett, and hopefully Marshall playing more games, he will be.

When Charlie plays with real aggression and determination he plays really well. It is obvious from his body language when he is on. Unfortunately he doesnt bring this mindset often enough. That's my problem with him but the same could be said about the majority of our list. They dont want to win enough. That s**t's be given what they're paid.

When Charlie plays with real aggression and determination he plays really well. It is obvious from his body language when he is on. Unfortunately he doesnt bring this mindset often enough. That's my problem with him but the same could be said about the majority of our list. They dont want to win enough. That s**t's be given what they're paid.
When he sets up for his goosestep mark you know he is going to take it. The problem is he doesn't get to that position enough, and the ball is put on top of him, not in front of him. And too often he engages in wrestling with the fullback. That won't work with the better fullbacks like Talia, Frawley and Blicavs but it also means the 2nd-tier fullbacks still have a chance. Charlie wants to keep moving, even just walking when the ball is down the other end of the field so that there is always space for him to move.

Dixon has been hung out to dry by coaching, but he should be better nonetheless.

We had Schulz bang through 30+ in injury interrupted seasons in 10, 11, 12, when we stunk.

The coaching isn't Dixon back by that much, or... he just isn't that good.
(insert any Port name here) has been hung out to dry by coaching, but he should be better nonetheless.

The coaching isn't holding Dixon back by that much, or... he just isn't that good.

Yeah but we didn't play Schulz in the ruck for half the season, did we?

Whichever way you choose to paint it and whoever you choose to blame, having your sole key forward kick multiple goals in only 4 of 20 games is a spectacular failure that undermines the entire forward line setup. Charlie needs to be more productive next year and I'm confident that with the addition of Lycett, and hopefully Marshall playing more games, he will be.
It's his set shot that's been worrying me: very gettable spots and I don't trust him to put it through. Can take same great grabs (usually with two oppo' hanging off him) but has shocking accuracy for a key forward.

Interesting stats.
In some ways Charlie's 2nd half of the season, in terms of goals scored, was way better than his first half of the season.
I did not pick this up in-season as he always seemed to be further up the ground and removed from scoring possibilities, due to Kens game plan.
Was there a subtle change in game plan wrt Charlie in the 2nd half of the season?
Looking at the data :
Charlie: Poor goal scoring potential 1st half of season; better 2nd half of season
Gray: Better goal scoring potential 1st half of season; poor goal scoring potential 2nd half of season
Almost complementary IMO.
First half of the year Ryder missed 5.5 games went off at half time Rd 1. Dixon has to cover him.

2nd half year Ryder misses 1 game but has a couple of games that misses most of 2nd half of a game.

It's his set shot that's been worrying me: very gettable spots and I don't trust him to put it through. Can take same great grabs (usually with two oppo' hanging off him) but has shocking accuracy for a key forward.
Apart from his getting the ball, that set-shot accuracy puts him well below Schulz in importance to the team. Whereas Schulz scored 159.69 in 69 games from 2013-2015, Dixon has scored 105.70 in 61 games from 2016-2018.

Yeah but we didn't play Schulz in the ruck for half the season, did we?

And in 2016?

Gee, the 'Dixon was the ruck!' grows legs by the day. He rucked so often we often found ourself calling out for him to go in to the ruck to replicate the turn around vs Sydney.

I doubt he rucked more than 40% of the time while Ryder was out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, he should be out doing drugs and swimming with **** behind his partners back. Then we'd name a thread after his glamorised exploits.

That escalated extremely quickly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back