Australia vs India, 4th test at the SCG, Jan 3rd - 7th

Remove this Banner Ad

We really need Renshaw to come good again. He looked like the real deal the second half of last shield season and again over at Somerset. Not sure what has happened with his confidence since been left out in the UAE.

I'm not sure who is capable of scoring in England for Aus if the wickets aren't flat. Sitting ducks if the pitches/conditions do anything.

Smith
Warner

We are kidding if those two aren't there.

Then personally you have to look at players who have good county records + techniques

Renshaw (great last year), Laubaushne (technique is there at least), Khawaja (despite my concerns, he'll be there), Bancroft (again his technique suits over there as he doesn't mind batting time).

The ones I have questions on are:

Head- too often this summer he's played very loose shots, he hasn't convinced me- probably get picked through lack of alternatives.
Marsh(s)- just not good enough, Mitch is just flat out rubbish, and SMarsh is averaging 18 in his last 10 tests, lets move on.
Handscomb- his technique is laughable especially in England.

One century in shield cricket in 2 and half years I think?
Certainly shows us how times have changed.
Yeh I understand he has a bit of the Joe Root conversion issue. Fingers crossed his recent ton has broken the shackles and he starts to go on when he goes past 50.

One century in shield cricket in 2 and half years I think?
Certainly shows us how times have changed.

I do have questions on Patterson’s ability against spin, he’s pretty bad. However, at least he’s getting 50’s which show consistency.

I've enjoyed watching the Indians far more than our crabs. They are a million miles over us. More.

Depends who is batting. Whilst I appreciate how effective Pujara is, he bores me- and yes I know people will say we’d love a Pujara type. Personally Kholi’s hundred in Perth was pure class and I enjoyed watching most of that.

I'm not sure who is capable of scoring in England for Aus if the wickets aren't flat. Sitting ducks if the pitches/conditions do anything.

Smith could maybe grind out a 50 if the ball is swinging around but outside of that i can't think of a single batsman you would say is suited to facing high quality swing.

Reality is we are worse facing the moving ball than we are spin, anderson broad woakes stokes and curren under cloudy skies will be a bloodbath that will make this series look tame.

Its all over the park. Including those bowlers.

Agreed. Hate to sound like a broken record but isn’t it amazing when bowlers bowl at the stumps! In four tests we haven’t done that. 8% of balls hitting the stumps is pathetic. You bowl at the stumps you get lbws and bowled.

Should get a draw, would have to be skittled before 3pm going on the light situation of this match, Marsh set for his custom ton when it means nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Hate to sound like a broken record but isn’t it amazing when bowlers bowl at the stumps! In four tests we haven’t done that. 8% of balls hitting the stumps is pathetic. You bowl at the stumps you get lbws and bowled.

I know the pitches obviously impact this due to bounce but I’m fairly certain during the Pak-SA tests, they quoted a figure that said Mohammad Abbas during the UAE series was hitting the stumps over 40 per cent of the time.

Should get a draw, would have to be skittled before 3pm going on the light situation of this match, Marsh set for his custom ton when it means nothing.

Century on debut in Sri Lanka batting at 3 with both openers and number 4 dismissed for 36, 36 and 13, first match of the series.
Century against SA at Centurion at 3-72 batting first, century at Bellerive against the West Indies after losing 3 wickets in the opening session, century as a makeshift opener at Columbo - admittedly after the series has been decided. 126 at Adelaide under lights against Anderson and Broad, next best score 57.
Century in Sydney in dead rubber against England.

Excepting the fact that the Columbo came in a dead rubber, there has been something challenging or meaningful about all bar one of his hundreds.

Anger? That our #10 didn't review an LBW when we're about 400 runs behind? I can think of a few things to be upset about first...

Attachments

• IMG20190107073523.jpg
    IMG20190107073523.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 36
Anger? That our #10 didn't review an LBW when we're about 400 runs behind? I can think of a few things to be upset about first...

It summed up the mindset. I assumed that they mustn't have a review left, as there is no other logical explanation as to why you wouldn't look at it again.

Really poor cricket.

3xNpjpm.png

Will Australia stand up, put up a fight and be counted ?

Or will they wilt under pressure ?

Find out later today :)

Most cricketers would have walked on Lyon's dismissal, full toss sweeping, that's almost automatically out, the umpire had no doubt and that's what I think Lyon thought. I get what Ponting is saying but I think on this one I think he's gone in a bit hard.

This. If there’s ever a circumstance where you just go ‘oh s**t I’m out’ that is it.

We thought we would steamroll India's batting over here with our bowling attack and that would paper over the cracks of our weak batting . Its backfired big time. It was arrogant and we've got what we deserved against a far better side then us .
The result of this series should not be a surprise . They would have beaten us with Smith and Warner anyway , it just would have been a bit closer .

Time for a reboot , take the hit, take the pain and pick batsman who show a willingness and application to be test batsman . If it means picking young players on 'potential' and 'mindset' at this stage then do it. Just make it clear that's the plan.

Does Lyon even want to be there?

Was pretty open in his criticism of the fast bowlers and of Paine at the end of day one, no review and rushed off the field after his dismissal. Front he outside looking in a few of our guys just want the series to be over.

Has anyone outside of Cummins and Harris actually enhanced their test credentials? Everyone else has gone backwards, Lyon still GOAT-offie so no change.

Time for a reboot , take the hit, take the pain and pick batsman who show a willingness and application to be test batsman . If it means picking young players on 'potential' and 'mindset' at this stage then do it. Just make it clear that's the plan.
Do we have any names for young batsmen putting their hand up for selection? From what I understand the best performed shield batsmen have all been tried before - S Marsh, Wade, Burns et al.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back