Has Jordan De Goey announced himself?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a thread about De Goey.

It’s now turned into a Dustin Martin circle jerk.

Poor Richmond supporters that just can’t help it.
All I said was that JDG should aim to become a poor man’s Dusty. I think if he could become two thirds of the player Dusty is, then Collingwood fans would be stoked. It’s actually a massive compliment comparing JDG to Dusty. You Pie fans are so overly sensitive after your GF heartbreak that you can’t even identify compliments.

De Goey isn't as good as Judd was at the same age, delist.

/sarcasm

In the end he's a genuine young gun, all 18 teams would give their left nut to have him, and he almost won them a flag.

Looking forward to his development and hope his off-field issues are behind him.

All I said was that JDG should aim to become a poor man’s Dusty. I think if he could become two thirds of the player Dusty is, then Collingwood fans would be stoked. It’s actually a massive compliment comparing JDG to Dusty. You Pie fans are so overly sensitive after your GF heartbreak that you can’t even identify compliments.

Please, let's not pretend your initial comment was praise for JDG. It was simply a cheap wind up by downplaying him to one of your own.

Congratulations on achieving what you wanted, though.

Please, let's not pretend your initial comment was praise for JDG. It was simply a cheap wind up by downplaying him to one of your own.

Congratulations on achieving what you wanted, though.
Huh? I don’t think de Goey will reach the heights of Dusty but I said he should aim to become a poor man’s version because I see similarities. Not sure how that’s not paying massive respect? It’s likening a young Magpie to a guy who will potentially go down as Richmond’s greatest ever player.

The only comparable trait between De Goey and Martin is their one-on-one strength. Otherwise, you have a power mid who is one of the league’s best play makers and a lead-up forward who is one of the league’s most dangerous around goal.

Martin is arguably the game’s premier midfielder, De Goey is one of the game’s most prolific forwards. Both are absolutely elite in their own ways. Case closed.

Huh? I don’t think de Goey will reach the heights of Dusty but I said he should aim to become a poor man’s version because I see similarities. Not sure how that’s not paying massive respect? It’s likening a young Magpie to a guy who will potentially go down as Richmond’s greatest ever player.

I don't see what the similarities are other than they both play football. They have different roles and positions. Yes, Dustin Martin is one of the best going around at the moment but comparing JDG to him is silly.

If I called Jack Riewoldt a poor man's Josh Kennedy you'd be apoplectic and justifiably so.

The only comparable trait between De Goey and Martin is their one-on-one strength. Otherwise, you have a power mid who is one of the league’s best play makers and a lead-up forward who is one of the league’s most dangerous around goal.

Martin is arguably the game’s premier midfielder, De Goey is one of the game’s most prolific forwards. Both are absolutely elite in their own ways. Case closed.
Explosiveness, low centre of gravity, evasiveness, core strength, X factor, similar height/weight, precision kicking, etc. are all other comparable traits.

Will JDG stay predominantly forward or spend more time in the midfield as he gets older?

I don't see what the similarities are other than they both play football. They have different roles and positions. Yes, Dustin Martin is one of the best going around at the moment but comparing JDG to him is silly.

If I called Jack Riewoldt a poor man's Josh Kennedy you'd be apoplectic and justifiably so.
Then you’re not very observant. See my post above. Obviously no two players are exactly the same, but he has drawn many comparisons to Dusty in the media.

de goey has gone past dusty imo
It’s funny that no one will call out this blatant troll, but my Dusty comparison and respect for de Goey will be labelled disingenuous because I’m a Richmond supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then you’re not very observant. See my post above. Obviously no two players are exactly the same, but he has drawn many comparisons to Dusty in the media.

Not from the media I've been following.

If that's the criteria you're using I may as well start comparing Martin (and De Goey) to Chris Judd then.

Jack Riewoldt and Patrick Dangerfield are both 192cm players with elite creativity and an amazing ability to take a contested mark. They’re not similar players though.

The Martin vs De Goey stir-up was simply a media play in the lead up to the round 19 match between Richmond and Collingwood. If they didn’t play for Melbourne’s two best teams, there wouldn’t have been such a comparison.

De Goey is closer to Robbie Gray. There’s nobody like Dusty - Gresham’s creativity and reliability around goal is similar but he doesn’t have the strength nor the accumulation.

It’s funny that no one will call out this blatant troll, but my Dusty comparison and respect for de Goey will be labelled disingenuous because I’m a Richmond supporter.

If you don’t wanna be labelled as a troll and get responses in spite of your posting, the solution is to not bait your posts like you always do

I don’t bring up Richmond, I respond to troll posts by Richmond supporters that are obvious shots at Collingwood, which makes me a sucker for being baited but oh well, I just wanna talk about footy

Not from the media I've been following.

If that's the criteria you're using I may as well start comparing Martin (and De Goey) to Chris Judd then.
Not really as Judd is more of a pure midfielder whereas Dusty and JDG both spend lots of time up forward and have much more similar traits.

A quick Google search:
053C3BAB-8279-4E08-9DBA-7595B5945200.jpeg
5ED7006B-C9DA-45D4-8BAC-D8455991AB49.jpeg
E31C1BBA-7213-45B0-8CBF-762D635B445A.jpeg
8CFDBD5A-8E21-4CF8-9FE5-235C58157668.jpeg
B0A346BB-783D-4F41-9D9D-04F2CDBFE4A3.jpeg
221C72EA-38CF-440E-B2DC-A515E257B68C.jpeg
C08B0F0E-E156-441C-9DB5-0F3BC6C0F997.jpeg

A few paragraphs from different websites:
2D5BB02B-8925-459D-8B04-4A5BD4F7A610.jpeg
595DA7CB-6DA6-4315-BBA5-D41A3CC6BA46.jpeg

And the AFL uploading a video comparing the two for good measure:
C942BBFE-6E97-45EC-83FA-926923112911.jpeg

If you don’t wanna be labelled as a troll and get responses in spite of your posting, the solution is to not bait your posts like you always do

I don’t bring up Richmond, I respond to troll posts by Richmond supporters that are obvious shots at Collingwood, which makes me a sucker for being baited but oh well, I just wanna talk about footy
I’m not baiting though. I’m open to the fact that I like discussing Collingwood. I find them fascinating. Same with Melbourne. You’ve probably read me compliment Collingwood and their players plenty of times but glanced over it because you’re only conscious of Richmond supporters when they troll.

I’m not baiting though. I’m open to the fact that I like discussing Collingwood. I find them fascinating. Same with Melbourne. You’ve probably read me compliment Collingwood and their players plenty of times but glanced over it because you’re only conscious of Richmond supporters when they troll.

But surely you see how labelling De Goey as a ‘poor man’s Dustin Martin’ could be interpreted as a troll. You’re begging for negative responses from Collingwood supporters. A more wholesome alternative would have been “De Goey should continue to model his game on Dustin Martin”

But surely you see how labelling De Goey as a ‘poor man’s Dustin Martin’ could be interpreted as a troll. You’re begging for negative responses from Collingwood supporters. A more wholesome alternative would have been “De Goey should continue to model his game on Dustin Martin”
Perhaps it was a poor choice of words, but in my view, a poor man’s version of Dustin Martin is still very, very good. I guess I’m in the habit of using the “poor man’s” phrase too loosely and I understand how it can become misinterpreted.

Perhaps it was a poor choice of words, but in my view, a poor man’s version of Dustin Martin is still very, very good. I guess I’m in the habit of using the “poor man’s” phrase too loosely and I understand how it can become misinterpreted.
I guess "poor man's ____" implies they could never reach the level of _____ and as such, they are the "cheaper" alternative. As of right now it'd be easy for me to say Dusty is a more valuable player, but give it a few years and I predict we may see De Goey (dare I say) surpass him in this category.

I guess "poor man's ____" implies they could never reach the level of _____ and as such, they are the "cheaper" alternative. As of right now it'd be easy for me to say Dusty is a more valuable player, but give it a few years and I predict we may see De Goey (dare I say) surpass him in this category.
You think JDG will be better than Dusty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back